cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samarium - Internal radiotherapy for bone mets

11 REPLIES 11
Haxted

Re: Samarium - Internal radiotherapy for bone mets

Well, I'm booked for the treatment next Thursday, Dec 12th so we'll see! Will post an update. The information leaflet the hospital has given me shows that the brand name for the treatment carrying the "active" ingredient of Samarium, is Quadramet. And there's quite a bit of info "out there" when you google that!

Jo_BCC

Hi Haxted,

It's fine for you to say where you are being treated but we don't allow anyone to post the names or initials of any medical professionals that you may come across during your treatment for their privacy.  Our Community Guidelines outline all this if you want to have a look.

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Forum-guidelines/Forum-guidelines/m-p/754406#U754406

Kind regards,

Jo, Moderator

Haxted

Dont know if I'm allowed to say but I expect the moderators will edit if not! I'm under Poole Hospital in Dorset.

2catlady

Hi,Chris,thank you for the link that's very interesting. Helen xx
Hi,Haxted what hospital or area are you attending? I was wondering if it was the Freeman as they seem to be hot of trials and latest treatments. Helen x
Steris

Hi,

Just had a quick look on Macmillan as never heard of it before here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Radiotherapy/Internalra...

Love
Chris xx

dawnhc

Hi Haxted,

This is the first time I have heard of this being used in the UK but I have a friend in Canada and I gather it is fairly common out there and used quite successfully. She is a radiotherapist (not sure what the correct term is). If I can find the info she gave me I will pm it to you.

Dawn

xx

Haxted

Well the bone scan did show progression of secondaries around my skeleton so I am being put forward for this treatment to "have a go" at what's there whilst organs are still clear and bloods generally good enough to take it......Because it can't be given alongside chemotherapy (both treatments hit the bloods hard), I have to stop Capecitabine for the bloods to recover sufficiently before Samarium is given. It is a one-off treatment but can be given more than once if deemed appropriate. After it - and after bloods have recovered enough - a return to Capecitabine (or something else) will be reviewed....

Trying to stay positive about having a break from chemo as am getting quite blatted after 16 cycles of Cape - but a little bit un-nerving to not really know what I'm getting as an alternative and to "wonder" if the break will allow stuff to move into organs! Will report in when I have something to report!   

lucinda

Sorry I have exstensive bone mets but have never heard of this treatment. Sorry if you feel like a guniea pig but I am sure all boney ladies are interested when you get mor info. Good luck.

Lxx 

2catlady

Hi,Haxted ,I'm sorry I've never heard of this treatment. I couldn't find it when I googled too( but I'm pretty rubbish with a computer so that's not saying much) hopefully someone can help you with information that's had it. Thank you ,that would be great if you could feedback about this treatment.
Huge hug,Helen x
Haxted

Thank you. I didnt realise this treatment was obviously so uncommon! Not sure if that's a good thing (pushing the boundaries of possible treatments for bone mets) or a bad thing (not used much cos not much good!) but am inclined to accept anything offered by Those Who Know About These Things (hopefully my MDT team!).

I'll post an update when I've had it for the benefit of others to either ask for it - or avoid it!

Jo_BCC

Hi Haxted

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies to your question as yet, but hopefully someone may now reply to you.  If you would like to have a chat with our helpline about this treatment, they'll be only too happy to help.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Haxted

Samarium - Internal radiotherapy for bone mets

Just wondering if anyone else had experience of this? Consultant just called in light of tumour markers increasing by 10% every three weeks since July (for me - they are indicative of activity) to say that although CT scan shows organs still clear, she wasn't happy to leave things now they are at 300. I have "extensive" bone mets already and she is ordering another bone scan. If it shows bone mets are progressing, she is proposing treating with Samarium - an intravenous dose of radioactive stuff to zap bone mets from within... I'm already on Denosumab, Capecitibine, Zolodaex....