Scar Management

I was wondering what advice (if any) you had been given following surgery. I’ve had a mastectomy and apart from the advice about moisturishing during and after radiotherapy, the only bit of advice was from a radiographer who said to massage in small circles along the scar line with any sort of moisturiser.

I’ve just started reading a book by a lady who advocates essential oils (Myrhh and lavender) three times a day.

What did you do and was it helpful?

Thank you - Pauline

I used aqueous cream bp I don’t think you need anything very difficult to get hold of or expensive. I think E45 cream is almost the same but a bit more expensive. I was advised to stretch the skin along the scar line to make it lie flatter - it’s not great but it has faded to a white coloiur so it isn’t as obrusive. Unfortunately due to a large chunk of breast being cut out it’s pretty obvious I’ve had surgery but that ’ s life

Mole

I had a large lumpectomy and (when the scabs had healed over) used Bio Oil twice a day. I was worried at the time because it was a very jagged and not neat scar. I can’t say if it was the oil or the gentle massage but I honestly saw a quick and vast improvement. My scar is just a fine white line now - mind you my right boob is way smaller than my left - it couldn’t do anything about that (why did I have to have an operation on the one that was smaller to start with - HA!).

Thanks Mole and Jane

I keep forgetting to put on the cream, but I think it helps keep in supple when I do remember.

love

Pauline X