Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scar tissue following LD flap recon

10 REPLIES 10
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Scar tissue following LD flap recon

Hi
I swim a very slow 40 lengths about 4 times a week, and also walk the dog for at least an hour a day (again slowly), so it's not for want of exercise! I also do the arm exercises regularly, and try and stretch as I am doing housework (ugh!) etc.
I had my first session of ultrasound, followed by massage today, but can't feel any difference yet. The physio said it will probably take a few sessions to notice any effect, ( and she is on holiday next week, so I have 2 wait 2 weeks for next session). It still feels like a suit of armour round my ribs. Just need to acquire some patience from somewhere! Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Judy

I had my op a year ago and have done stretching and twisting exercises which have helped a lot. I can do everything I could before the op. and have been able to for about 6 months now. My back still feels a bit stiff and fixed, but it is not a problem, I am so pleased to still have 2 boobs!
It really does get better just keep moving.

Best wishes

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dahlia
That's really cheered me up..........not!
How are you managing? Are you still having physio etc? Did they offer you ultrasound?
Judy
PS What a coincidence that we were both operated on, on August 4th (although a year apart). What part of the country are you from?

Guest user
Not applicable

I had LD flap 4 Aug 07 and am still in this stuck state despite physio, hydro pool, more physio and months of seeing an osteopath who has made the most difference, much more than the physios.

I think the surgeons are not 100% honest about this and will always try and fob you off because it is beyond them.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jackie
No it's more where they took the muscle from. I didn't have an implant, so I think the surgeon tried to take as much muscle and skin as poss. Everything is very tight, and I am still firmly stuck! More physio today. She can see an improvement again, but I can't feel any difference when walking, swimming, deep breathing etc. No response from surgeon yet re ultrasound.
Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Judy

Is this where your wound drains were? I still find these tender and a bit itchy at times. I wasn't offerred ultra sound, but I can vaguely remember being in hospital post-natally and other mums being offerred it for episiotomy pain.
Jackie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jackie,
It's not just my back scar that it is stuck, but about 4 inches or so down my ribs at the side. I can't even take a deep breath without feeling the constriction. I should hear this week about ultra sound. Was this offered to you?
Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Judy

I think it was around 4 weeks to free things up completely. If I feel like things are sticking again I have a hot shower and really stretch my arms and back. You are still in relatively early days so try to be patient. I can honestly say I am completely back to normal now with just a little upper body weakness, compared to before my op's, but I am working on that.

Jackie.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jackie
How long did it take to get sorted? Patience is not my strong point!
It's reassuring to know that someone else has had a similar problem. I was beginning to feel a bit of a freak!
Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Judy

My back scar fixed itself firmly to my back and my side was painful, presumably from the drain entry sites. I saw my physio at work and he did deep massage (using his elbow at times!) which was uncomfortable but was very effective. He managed to free everything and it has been good ever since. Persevere with the massage and try anything else offered. Let us know how you get on with US. Bio Oil was good too. Nearly forgot that.

Jackie.

Guest user
Not applicable

Scar tissue following LD flap recon

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems to me, and whether they have discovered any solutions. Since my mx and immediate recon on Aug 4th, I have had a lot of discomfort dowm my ribs at the side, and on my back. I have mentioned it repeatedly to my consultant, but he has been quite dismissive, and just says to 'give it time'. My side in particular is really uncomfortable when I try and walk fast, or push myself.
I managed to get a physio referral through my GP, a couple of weeks ago. The physio was very concerned about the amount of scar tissue I have, which has welded my skin to my ribs- hence the discomfort. Her solution is lots of deep tissue massage, and has given my OH daily massage 'homework'. (He got an A star last week!) She can see some improvement, but I am still very 'stuck'. I had a hydrotherapy session last week, to help my arm movement, which was good.
I asked the physio on Friday, whether ultra sound might also be helpful. She hadn't heard of it being used for scar tissue, but contacted a senior physio, who thought it was a good idea. Just waiting for the OK from consultant. Has anyone else tried ultra sound? (apart from during pregnancy!)
Thanks,
Judy