Scar tissue

Scar tissue

Scar tissue I had a full mastectamy in Jan 2006 and I had terrible problems
as it was nearly June when they eventually stopped draining the tissue area. Now I am having severe itching that is coming from within the scar tissue and this is quite embarassing as I feel the need to rub or scratch it even though the area is numb and it doesn’t resovle the problem.
Does anyone else have or has had this problem and know of anything that will help eliminate this problem?

Thanks
Debbie

Poor you- all that time with drainage probs!. Debbie I think that you’ve got the “mystery itch” which we all recognise- wherever you rub it’s moved to somewhere else. The only trouble is that you’ve got it in super spades - don’t know how you can get rid of it but it does get less and almost disappears with time.
It has to be something to do with post op nerve repair and contrary to all those dreadful warnings we actually need animal fats- particularly after ops. It’s worth eat ing pork chops, spreading butter and lavishing the cream -[organic dairy safest]. Self indulgence is always good for those under the weather so anything you fancy in liberal quantities will help you, plus a vitamin B supplement - best wishes. dilly

Debbie I have exactly the same problem as you and I think you are the first person I have come across on this site that has this itching. I had a radical mastectomy, that is when they take away chest muscle as well as the breast. I was ok for about 4 years or more (it is nearly 9 years since I had the op) then I started with this embarrasing itching in the scar area. Also under my arm which is partly numb.

I don’t think there is anything you can do about it, I have asked my surgeon and oncologist on many occasions and all they have said is that it is the nerve endings. It is not a skin itch that you can treat with creams and lotions, I have tried that. More of an itch under the skin.

It gets me down a lot, especially when I am at work as I have to go in another room or make sure no one can see me scratching the area.
The best thing I have found, and you can only do this at home, usually when I am ready for bed and not wearing my prosthesis, I have a towelling duck. I keep this next to the scar area and rub the affected part with the duck. This is better than scratching with your fingers as I think the roughness of the towelling does the trick. I know this sounds daft but it works for me., and I only wish I could use this at work! See if you can find something like this, maybe in a shop that does bathroom items, like a towelling mit or a towelling sponge like mine. Come to think of it, it is now worn out and I could do with a new one!

Hope you have some success, but other than this we just have to put up with it.

All the best
Chris x