Scared. Appointment booked with Consultant

I have a lump in my right breast which has been there since February. I ignored it until this month when I noticed it had grown. My breast has also increased a cup size - just the right side not the left. There is no pain or discomfort to speak of.

I saw my GP on Friday and I have an appointment with the Consultant tomorrow morning. I have read all the stuff about the tests so I don’t really have any questions there.

The thing is, I am so scared. I know, in all likelihood, it will be a cyst. However I just feel totally overwhelmed with the prospect of a diagnosis of cancer. I feel panicky and stressed.

I guess I just need some words of support. My husband is being brilliant. He is a half-full kind of person and unfortunately I am the opposite! He keeps telling me to wait and see but my head is spinning and I have all these “what ifs” in my brain. I know they aren’t helpful. I am just so scared.

Thanks for listening.

Hi,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I’m sure you’ll get lots of support from the other users of this site.

If you feel you would like to talk to someone in confidence then the BCC helpline is here for you, offering support and information. Calls to the helpline are free, lines are usually open Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm
0808 800 6000

Kind regards,
Kate, BCC Facilitator

You are not alone, we all felt like you do, at some point, and we have all come out the other side of it.
We have all changed in that time, as you have. What ever the diagnosis is that you get, you’ll be sent for the same tests as everyone else.
What ever the test result is, there is a solution.
You will survive, and you will be stronger for it. We are all here for you, anytime that you want.
Go for it kid!
Julia

Hi Hascas, Of course it is scary. Nomatter what results you are waiting for…the waiting…and the wondering…the what ifs…it is unbearable. But the waiting is the worst bit I found. Most of us remember well the feelings you are going through. Our thoughts will be with you tomorrow when you go to see your Consultant. Let us know how you got on. We are there for you. I hope you get good news. Best wishes, fromVal XX

thanks all. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

So, I saw the consultant today. Whereas I had found only one lump, he found several lumps in my right breast. He said he was hopeful that they were fibroadenomas - given my age and no family history of breast cancer. The thing is, I know I should trust him but I don’t think I will be able to relax until I get the results of my mammogram.

He didn’t want to do a needle biopsy as he was concerned that it may impact on the clarity of imaging as they are quite small at present. He is clearly a man of experience because they feel like boulders to me!

I had a mammogram which I found really quite uncomfortable. I hate to say that because I would hate to put anyone off going. But it was the truth for me and I just want to be able to express how I am feeling :frowning:

Apparently the results will be back in 10 days. More waiting. He reassured me that if I haven’t heard then I should call his secretary as he thinks it is unacceptable to have to wait longer.

I felt really crappy earlier today but am trying to be more positive now.

Thanks again. You have been great. I think this is going to be somewhere I come to a lot over the next few weeks of waiting.