Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared like all of us here.

12 REPLIES 12
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Scared like all of us here.

Any news?

I had a similar experience when they actually used the words "may or may not be cancer". I was on my own and not expecting it because I had gone to get a cyst drained. 

My husband and I have separated and although he has offered to come with me to my appointment next Friday, I don't really know if I want that. 

I think when you are in a relationship, you crave the support from your spouse and that is as it should be so I completely understand how you felt recieving this news alone. 

Have you heard anything yet?

pippadog

pippadog

Testing as Pippadog to see if the post remains or stays

pippadog

pippadog

pippadog

pippadog

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to the nurse this morning and they will have a definite answer at 3.00pm today. They have received the scans this morning from the priory and they are assesing them. The writen report will be available at 3.00pm. I am all over the place. I had a diazepam this morning to calm me down but it doesn't seem to be working lol.

News later.

Freda61

Hi pippadog

My lump didn't show on the mamogram and I got a bit cross with my surgeon as she seemed illogical telling me that it didn't show up, but I should have annual mamograms in future.  She said it is much easier to see the difference in the tissue if you have 2 mammograms done at different times to compare.  So I guess they want to compare the current ones with the 2012 ones.

She said mamograms look like white fluff and having seen some online now they do.  The younger you are and more dense your breast tissue is the more difficult it is for them to see any differences.  Also some lumps mimic normal tissue apparently.

The uncertainty must be horrible for you, but they are going back and checking, so it is in you best interests.  Good luck for tomorrow

pippadog

Hi all

Thanks for the kind replies. Friday the nurse rang to say the report had not been typed up yet. However a radiologist and doctor had looked at it and said it was fine. I then questioned why the consultant had raised an issue from the mammogram he could see on his screen and she said she would go and ask and ring me back. Anyway she rang me back and said that the consultant had seen a dense area, which sometimes occurs with younger women having mammograms. He then said he wasn't a radiologist so he didn't know. Whatever that means. So I was told it was fine. Today a mesage has been left on my answer machine requesting copies of the mammograms I had done privately in 2012 from the Priory. The nurse said she would see me tomorrow in clinic as I've got to see the plastic surgeon tomorrow about my preventative masectomy. Does she think there now is a problem or not? I don't know whether I'm coming or going.   

Tracy1967

Hi Pippadog, I hope your appointment went OK today. Sending you hugs. Tracy XXX
pippadog

Hi

Thank you for responding. Hopefully I will find something out tomorrow. It may be something I don't want (like I've got to go back) or it may be positive. Who knows, but its nice to know people are there for me and it helps to not feel so alone.

Thank you.

xx 

poemsgalore

Hi Pippadog,

I'm so very sorry to hear you are having these worries right now. Just when we want answers, it seems everything conspires against us. And waiting is the worst of any kind of treatment, whether it be preventative or curative. 

I'm hoping that by now, you will have heard something to put your mind at rest. But as most of us find out, there aren't always answers when we want them. All I can do is send you big hugs and best wishes. I know that isn't much help, but you will get your answers before long.

poemsgalore xx

pippadog

Scared like all of us here.

Well this is a long one, so please bare with me. I lost my mom to breast cancer in 1985 she was 47. I have no living relatives and her dad died from colon cancer.

I've recently been checked through the genetics/family history clinic and they said to get mammograms every year. Anyway in August I was called in to see the family history nurse. I was sent for a mammogram but as I had one Nov 2012 they said they couldn't do it as it was too soon.

Anyway I explained to the nurse that if I'd been found to have the hereditary gene I would opt for a preventative masectomy. I can't have the test as I have no living relatives etc. So she said she would discuss it with the consultant and they decided to go ahead with the preventative masectomy.

Nov 14 I went for my annual mammogram through the NHS. Then a week later I went to see the psychologist about the masectomy and today I went back to see the masectomy.

I asked about the results from my mammogram as I had not heard anything and the consultant said he had not had the report from the radiologist yet, although there was an area in my left breast that concerned him (he got the scan on his computer screen) . He said I should hear something by the end of the week. I've got to see the plastic surgeon next week about the reconstruction.

Anyway I feel like I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I thought I was sorting out a preventative masectomy, but now it seems I may have a diseased breast. There was no nurse in the room. Just the consultant and two medical students. I was on my own and had to get the bus home as my husband had a meeting.

I rang your helpline who suggested I contact the breast nurse at the hospital, which I did. The breast nurse said she will phone me Friday morning, as she's off tomorrow. If they don't have the results by Friday then I'll have to wait until I go and see the plastic surgeon on Tuesday.

I am worried sick and feel completely lost in all this. To say I'm worried is an understatement and I can't eat or sleep. Who do I turn to now?