Scared surgery next week

I am having my mastectomy and reconstruction next week. Only see plastic surgeon says ago. He didn’t say which method would be most suitable. He also doesn’t show pictures of previous operations. This has made me nervous. Is this normal .

Sorry for the lack of replays, it’s not usual. I’m sure it’s not normal not to be informed of everything before treatment. Although it will have happened by now so hopefully it went well. There is a mastectomy thread wee I think you will get better support. Sending love Lorna x

hello familytree. I did not have recon but when I was diagnosed as you know iits a shock I was told mastectomy right breast two weeks today and full node too. My husband and I sat there spell bound. We asked a few questions but went with the flow so to speak. The operation went ok but the scar is so untidy  and I have a swelling above the bra fastening area at the side. Nurse says it might go!!! Following on from this my first appointment with oncologist one of her first questions was why did they do masectomy. What do you say. You are the experts I was just told that was going to happen. She thought about for a short time and said maybe it’s where the lump was. I would have thought with all the form filling in the medical staff have to do these days it would have been recorded. In the insurance industry they call it a reasons why letter. Anyway it’s done now cannot stick it back but I do look like I have been butchered by a amateur. Ask more questions we wish we had and good luck. Hugs Val

Wow! How scary…ridiculous to talk to you like that, I can’t believe it! I would ring your surgeons Secretary and ask to see him. Repeat what the oncologist said s in. ‘why’ and get some answers. Yes it’s done now and too late but understanding it is the only way you will be able to accept it…hopefully the scar tissue will settle, I hope so. How old are you if you don’t mind my asking? Sending love Lorna x

Hello Familytree a very young 71 year old who lives life to the full or did. We spent the winter in Southern Spain every year walk a lot dine out garden  play bridge have dinner parties but BC has really stopped us in our tracks. Having to cancel the ferry booked in 3 weeks time brought many tears to my eyes but have to get the big C kicked so have to get on with it. I do have a problem looking at my scar and really did not want my husband to see it. I have had a hip replacement and scar is so tidy compared to my breast one but no point on dwelling on it life is too short. Been to the wig shop in Leeds today got 2 both my present colour well highlighted one in a bob the other a bit scrunched like I would like my hair to be but its not thick enough. Bought some lovely 1930’s looking hats so ready to start a new trend among my friends. I do feel I cannot ask my hairdresser to shave off my hair (personal reasons) so do not know how to tackle that yet. My husband is taking it all badly very supportive but cannot believe this has happened. Hope you are keeping well