Scared

Hi I went for mammogram and X-ray and had a biopsy yesterday I was told I had breast cancer and calcium in ducts (I think ) was a blur, I am awaiting biopsy results to know what stage cancer I have, my whole world seems to have been turned upside down and I have a holiday booked to go on in 2 weeks that my daughter who is 11 is so excited for I just don’t know what to do

Hi, sorry to hear you have had such a shock, I remember that initial appointment well and it is so hard to take everything in. It sounds as if you have DCIS which is cancer in the milk ducts which is what I had. If it is that it will depend how much and how widespread for them to decide whether you need a lumpectomy or mastectomy. In my experience it is likely to be 3 or 4 weeks to your operation date at least so why don’t you ring and speak to the breast care nurses and explain about your holiday and ask their advice? I think they will probably tell you to go. If it is DCIS it is very treatable, I had two patches quite wide apart so had a left side mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in Feb 15. My node biopsy was clear so I didn’t need chemo or radiotherapy but I’m taking tamoxifen for 5 years. I’m now back to doing all the things I did before like running and badminton, just avoid press ups! 

I hope you get a clearer picture of what is happening soon, once you know what is coming next it’s easier to deal with! Best of luck and I hope you get your holiday, Nic xx

Hiya, I’m so sorry you find yourself in this situation but until you have a definite diagnosis try not to let your mind run too far ahead , we had a lady in your situation a few weeks ago, had been told at initial appointment that was certainly cancer but when she went back for her biopsy results she was all clear , it does happen! If you are diagnosed then there would be no physical harm in going on your holiday it’s the mental strain that is hard, one step at a time is the way to cope, get your results first then go on from there, a diagnosis is awful but not the end of the world and you will find you can deal with it , plenty of help and support here for you Xx Jo 

Hi
Sorry to hear your news. My story sounds very similar. I was diagnosed on the 30th June with BC and Calcium in the ducts which turned out to be DCIS as Nic says. I would definitely echo Nics advice and contact your BC nurses. Mine have been fabulous. I had a holiday booked for the end of Aug which we have ended up cancelling just because I may have to have chemo. My surgery however has been and gone! It took place last Thurs 14 days after diagnosis so the turn around was extremely quick, and I am well on the road to recovery.
If your BC Nurse says it’s ok to travel then I think if you feel like you could go and enjoy yourself then go!
Sending big hugs
Sarah X
ps it really does make a difference to how you feel, once a treatment plan is in place. Once I knew what was to come, I felt a lot more in control and positive.

Thanku to you all for your comments it does help I find out the results from my biopsy on Monday xx

Thanku the Dr I spoke to yesterday did say I had a large lump and from the X-ray said I had 2 calcium lumps under my arm biopsys have been taken from lump and under my arm I so hope they tell me I’m clear, find out results Monday