Scared

This is all very new to me. Reading other posts makes me feel I’m not alone but I feel I need to share with others who are not family or friends. I’m finding it difficult to talk without breaking down in tears.
I’m 43. Discovered a lump in my right breast when I was in the shower just over 2 weeks ago. The following morning I saw my GP and I was referred. Was told I’d be seen within 2 weeks. Waiting for my appointment was hard. Trying to hide the tears and anxiety from my 2 children was the most difficult. I went to the hospital on Tuesday this week. Consultant examined me and was happy I had a cyst. I then had a mammogram and ultrasound. During my ultrasound the radiologist found 3 small cysts ‘ganged up’ together. I had them drained. Phew!Thought that was it. Then had ultrasound of my left breast. I was sent for a further mammogram of my left breast - particularly the area behind my nipple. I waited to see the consultant again. He told me I had many cysts which can be common. But they had found calcium deposits which he wanted to be investigated further. I am going for a stereotactic? biopsy on June 2nd and then get my results on the 7th.
It’s the waiting and the not knowing that I’m struggling with. I’ve tried to put my feelings into a little box inside my head. For most of the time I’m OK but then I’ll just burst into tears. My husband, my mum, and the small group of friends who know are trying to help me stay positive. Its when I’m alone I crumble. It’s like time is standing still.
Probably not surprised that I’ve cried typing this. I’m hoping for good news. But need to also be prepared for bad.
Al x

Hello alice43

Welcome to the forums, this is a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.
In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Hi there sorry that you are having to join us here.

I had a stereotactic biopsy, or as they called it a pronebiopsy. It lasted about 40 mins and they numbed me really well, so you wont feel much discomfort. I also had calcium deposits, which can mean DCIS which is an early form of breast cancer in the milk ducts which is VERY treatable and can’t spread. I was diagnosed ten days later with DCIS and told I needed a lumpectomy and they would check to see if there was any invasive cancer in there too. I went back and was told they had found too very small invsive tumours amongst the DCIS, not everyone with DCIS will ever get an invasive tumour, and it does take years to turn, I was just unlucky as mine was High grade, but the tumours have been removed and although I will probably need a mastectomy as my margins were not clear, it looks like all the invasive has gone. This is generally a very treatable condition. Because I had invasive cancer I had my nodes biopsied, but they came back clear and I have been told there is no reason why I should not make a full recovery. I do hope this has helped a bit, if you need to know anything else please ask on here or pm me.

SGL xxx

Sorry Al, its so tough being where you are, waiting for results. I was totally freaked out. I had a stereotactic biopsy too - don’t quote me but I think they usually do that because whatever they see is too small to biospy with ultrasound. I have it on both sides but they’re both small, I’ve had surgery and am now almost at the end of the radiotherapy (no chemo) and am about to go back to work in a week, and get back to normal and forget about this except for regular checks - and wait till dementia sets in at 85 as is my fate. There is so much they can do these days its not the awful sentence it once was.
This place is great, so post lots when you’re worried.
Take care
Sheila

Hi Alice,

I know exactly how you are feeling.Waiting for results is always the worst part. It’s not surprising that you are feeling so weepy, it’s perfectly natural. I am sending lots of positive vibes your way and hope that the results on the 7th will be good news for you.

Love Jan xx

yes waiting is the worse bit. I have been coming to this forum several times a day since my biopises last week, it has helped me keep posative.

I am amazed how much better I feel now I have the result, even though it is posative. I still dont know what they are going to find once they open me up and it seems such a long way away (21st June). But somehow it is if a huge weight has been lifted.

Thanks to everyone who commented. You don’t know how much better I feel than I did before I put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)
The one big positive thing I keep thinking about is that I’d gone with a lump in my right breast. Thats been taken care of. I would never have known about my left breast having calcium deposits. Maybe its fate. All things happen for a reason. I might never have known until I would have gone for routine screening in another 6 years or so.
I’ll keep coming on here to read others posts. I feel like I’m amongst friends
Al xx

Got appointment for biopsy this afternoon. Been feeling really positive over last few days but starting to worry again. Won’t get results until Tuesday. It’s going to be a long weekend
Al xx

Hi Alice, how did it go, hope you are feeling ok this evening.

Thinking of you.

SGL xxx

Thanks SGL.
very uncomfortable experience. Took so long for them to find where they needed to get the samples from. Was in almost 2 hours. Still quite sore. Dreadful nights sleep. Think I saw every hour.
Tho on the plus side I’m feeling much better in myself today.
Got a busy weekend to take my mind off things. Tuesday seems so far away
x