Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scarring normal?

3 REPLIES 3
Karis

Re: Scarring normal?

Hello Marianne
Oh dear, sorry you're worried. I'm not saying this to bother you, but just to encourage you to ask the hospital staff for advice. This is just a suggestion - but have you had a check-up from the surgical team or breast care nurses recently about this, or have you not seen them for a while? I'm not quite sure why some people seem to have nice smooth scar lines, but like you, mine was lumpy, bumpy and sore even before starting radiotherapy. Also I'd had seroma due to drain problems.
I was bothered about it when I went to see the oncologists before radiotherapy, but their main concern was getting the radiotherapy started, not with my worries about the wound. Then when I asked the radiology staff, I was told it was normal. But how are we supposed to know what's normal!! Long story short - it took a long time to heal, and I wish I'd asked more questions earlier. I did have to be referred back to the surgeon.
So all I can suggest is - if you have questions - ask the breast care nurses and get seen! At least then, you are getting proper advice from the experts. Very good luck with it all - all the best K x

Milo1

Hi Marianne,
Every one is different, I had my first mastectomy two years ago it is a purple lumpy line very vivid, tight and uneven, my second one was in Jan this year, same hospital and surgeon but it is very neat and tidy totaly different to my other, I look quite bizarre when naked!!!! It can take up to a year for the area to settle down. And I have been very surprised that I still have major numb areas round the scars, armpits and down the back of both arms. It is very early days for you, once given the okay you could try bio oil to see if that helps. xx
poemsgalore

Hi Marianne
'fraid I can't really answer your question, as it was only one week and two days ago since I had my mastectomy and sentinal node biopsy. But I can sympathise with you. We are all in a hury to get to some kind of normality, whatever that is. Hope someone more experienced than me can post and answer for us both. Take care pg.xxxx
CherryH

Scarring normal?

Hi, I had my mastectomy 8 weeks ago and just starting radiotherapy. I'm not sure how my chest should look right now, but to me it seems unevenly scarred, puckered, lumpy with a wavy tugging deep stitch line from inner rib to under arm. There are swollen and sore bits under what would have been my breast and under the armpit... maybe this all evens out and the scar goes skin coloured? It looks reddish and blue-ish and not a pretty sight. Mostly though, I feel relieved it's gone and hopefully radiotherapy will zap any future worries - plus anastrozole, so it's a bit selfish to care how it looks.
But just wondered what to expect? Thanks! MarianneH