Scottish Referral Guidelines for Suspected Cancer (2007)

Scottish Referral Guidelines for Suspected Cancer (2007) I wish to inform all the women who have given me support or been following my postings that I have just, this week, heard from the Scottish Executive that the new Scottish Referral Guidelines have now been completed and include “unilateral axillary lymph node (my symptoms) and will be implemented shortly.

I have been campaigning for the last two years to make sure that GPs refer women with lumps under their armpit in light of what has happened to me at GP level – refused further investigation (3 times) on the grounds that there was nothing for me to worry about, only to find eventually that I had localised advanced invasive lobular cancer. This was 4 years after my first consultation with concerns.

This should be of great benefit to all women who are suspicious of unusual developments in this area of their body and subsequently present armpit swelling, thickening and lumps to their GP.

cancerinscotland.scot.nhs.uk/index.htm
then Reports and publications
Reports and guidelines

Thanks to all who have encouraged me.

Kind regards.

Jeannie

Congratulations Jeannie Its your kind of determined campaigning that will make all the difference for women in the future to avoid what happened to you.

best wishes

Jane

Well done, Jeannie!

I am also the victim of a lackadaisical GP who dismissed my tumour as a cyst for nearly 8 months. I am 43 and had IDC with a palpable lump yet still wasn’t referred for furhter investigation. She told me to take evening primrose oil!

I wasn’t sure whether to raise a formal compaint but your post has urged me to go ahead.

You should be very proud of yourself.

Lola

Well done Jeannie

It can’t be easy running a campaign when you have more pressing issues (your own health) to concern you. It is thanks to you and women like you that we are able to keep the treatment of BC in the public eye and moving forwards.

Well done you

blondie

Still Fighting On To Everyone

Thank you all for your supporting messages. It’s been a long haul and I’m still battling on with the medical negligence aspect. However, getting my voice heard with my campaign for armpit lumps to be in the referral guidelines is a great boost to my psychological state. As is all your encouragement.

I would like to suggest to anyone who has had a bad time with regards treatment that they register their complaint. It is by registering their complaint that the service for the management of women with breast cancer can improve. I was told when I first approached the Scottish Executive, Health Department, that I could only get the guidelines changed if my complaint was evidence based. I reported my complaint to both the National Patient Safety Agency (England) and NHS QIS (Scotland).

Having such encouragement from others helps me to have the strength to fight on. I do not want other women to suffer the way I have. Getting better guidelines should help. Unless, of course, their GP is an idiot! Yes, next campaign will be for better training for GPs! Enough said.

Regards.

Jeannie

Still Fighting On To Everyone

Thank you all for your supporting messages. It’s been a long haul and I’m still battling on with the medical negligence aspect. However, getting my voice heard with my campaign for armpit lumps to be in the referral guidelines is a great boost to my psychological state. As is all your encouragement.

I would like to suggest to anyone who has had a bad time with regards treatment that they register their complaint. It is by registering their complaint that the service for the management of women with breast cancer can improve. I was told when I first approached the Scottish Executive, Health Department, that I could only get the guidelines changed if my complaint was evidence based. I reported my complaint to both the National Patient Safety Agency (England) and NHS QIS (Scotland).

Having such encouragement from others helps me to have the strength to fight on. I do not want other women to suffer the way I have. Getting better guidelines should help. Unless, of course, their GP is an idiot! Yes, next campaign will be for better training for GPs! Enough said.

Regards.

Jeannie