Searing pain after surgery

Hello ladies,

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on Monday. I’ve been taking pain killers all week and movement in my arm hasn’t been too bad. Over the past couple of days I’ve had the occasional searing pain that feels like my skin is tearing above and behind the armpit wound. At first I thought it was the dressing ripping as that’s the kind of sharp, intense pain it is. Only happens when I shift in bed or reach for something too quickly. Anyone else experienced this?

Also, after four days in the house, I’m beginning to wonder whether I’ll ever feel like a useful member of society ever again! Feel like a shuffling zombie.

Hi Ali,I think it’s common to get more pain from SNB than from the surgery to your breast ,BC nurse told me you have more nerve endings under your arm also more likely to get swelling there which puts pressure on your scar .May be worth checking it out with your BC nurse or practice nurse at GP though just in case there is something that needs looking at.You are probably feeling the effects of the GA and also recovering from the shock of diagnosis ,think it’s quite common to have a slump after surgery, you have had loads of adrenaline pumping round your body for weeks with all the stress and anxiety.Give it another week and you will feel a lot better .