Seat belt discomfort

Ever since I had a WLE in my right breast 5 years ago I’ve felt some discomfort from the seat belt running over it when a passenger in a car. My solution has been to hold the seat belt and gently pull it out a short way, which works, but isn’t all that comfortable especially on long journeys.

Now I’m due to have either a WLE or maybe mastectomy next week on my left breast and I realise that the seat belt is going to cross directly across that breast and maybe cause discomfort too, whether a passenger or driver.

A small towel to pad it out has been mentioned to me, and my husband was saying there are seat belt extenders available. Has anyone else had this discomfort and if so, what did you do about it?

Many thanks if you can help with this. Jo

Hi Jo

I’ve not had that problem apart from for a short while after the op. However my mum used to have a seat belt clip which changes the height of the belt. Perhaps that might work? I’ve found an example here:

halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_734049_langId_-1_categoryId_261861

Mary

Hi jo1

I kept a small cushion in the car for ages to use. I could move it around to get comfy.  The seat belt clips are great but you can only use them on certain kinds of seatbelts unfortunately. 

I was holding the belt away from me but found I hurt my hand on long journeys.

the cushion was great especially in the beginning,.

Keeks

When I had my mx and reconstruction in aug last year I found that a small cushion under the seat belt helped. Bev