Seatbelt Exemption Certificate

It was suggested by my son (who is a special constable) that obtain one, as although I am 4 weeks post op (lumpectomy and axillary clearance, I have had an infection, which has made my boob very tender. Although not intending to do a lot of driving, just being able to drive myself to the GP’s, local shops etc, would make my son’s life a whole lot easier.

I asked my GP for one this afternoon, and she said she had never heard of them but if I could find out the info/get the form she would be happy to sign it!

Got home, Googled it and there was the info on the DirectGov website! Not rocket science!

Has anyone else come across this problem?

This is the sort of the thing that is grinding me down at the moment, getting an unfit to work certificate was also a pain, with the hospital saying my GP should provide it and vice versa!!

I don’t need this atm

Minor rant over…

Don’t know an answer to this but fully understand the problem! I couldn’t drive myself for weeks after surgery but seat-belts were TORTURE! I do hope you find a satisfactory answer without ‘law-breaking’.

Cyber hugs,
AlexG

Hi,

I’ve struggled with seat belts for the past year since my first op however since I purchased a childs seat belt think I’ve been fine. It’s just a soft thing that wraps around the seatbelt. Mine’s blue with tigger on it but they did have some more grown up ones only they cost more!

Talk to your breast care nurse if you’re struggling to get signed off, thankfully my doc signs me off for as long as I need.

Em x

When my mum had her mx she managed to but some special clips form the Betterware catologue that pulled the top strap down and clipped it to the bottom one. I was enough to make a seatbelt more comfortable.
I used it after I had my WLE. I have tried to find them since but Betteerware don’t sell them at the moment. I tried Halfords but they didn’t have anything suitable.

Hi
Have the same discomfort with seat belts. I use an ordinary clothes peg to stop the belt being so tight. Just pull the seat belt a bit loose, till it’s comfy and then clip the peg right at the top of the seat belt where it goes into the plastic loop that holds it up above your shoulder. The peg holds it in place quite well. I have also used a piece of sponge packaging (!) on my chest, under the seat belt, to lift the belt away from my left breast.
Hope these ideas might help someone.
Susie.
x

I went to Halfords last month and they had 3 different types of Seat Belt Stoppers. I can’t remember the price - but not too much. You get 2 in a pack so that’s handy for both front seats.

Dawn
xx

Hi All
I bought Carpoint Seatbelt Clips from my local car accessories shop, but they do the same ones in Halfords - £7.99 for two, so I’ve got one in my car and one in my OH’s car. They’re designed for the old fashioned sort of seat belts that don’t disappear into the side wall of the car, i.e. the ones that have a bar across the top that you can clip the thing on to. But I turned mine upside down and clipped it on that way and it works fine. Basically you put your seatbelt on as normal, then hold it away from your chest by half an inch or so, just enough that there’s no tension on any sore bits, then fix the clip at the top of the belt so that it can’t retract any further than that. It means if you had to brake suddenly the seat belt would still protect you, but it’s not pressing on you the rest of the time. Fantastic!
Sarah x

Bumping up for Norberte

when i had my MX my BCN sent me home from hos with a foam cover for my seatbelt, I thought i was a standard give away. but they are things you can buy, try mothercare or car shops

Hi I was told by dvla there is no such exemption if u cant wear seatbelt without pain then u shldnt drive I was given a small cushion by my bcn when I had my mx so I used that to put under the belt it was great hope this helps Laura