cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second WLE tomorrow

29 REPLIES 29
Cocolily

Re: Second WLE tomorrow

Hi Fuffs123, yes I know how you feel regarding a double.. Would rather do it all now then have to go back in a few years and have another if there is a reaccurance. Very glad to hear your brca test is negative .. A relief for you and your family I'm sure .. We are all on this BC journey and we will all get there in the end I'm sure. Hugs
Fuffs123

Hi Cocolily
Know just what you mean. I wish my surgeon would agree to a double mx but now my BRCA test is clear he won't. Of course I'm very relieved at that, for me and my family, especially my daughter. I'm worried that as mine is also Grade 3 invasive with lots of DCIS, this will occur in the other breast sooner or later. Also I am very big busted, H cup, so i will be very lopsided and need a big prothesis. Don't want to go for recon now as I've had other health problems. They will agree to reduce the other boob for cosmetic reasons in the future (don't know when) but I'd rather just get shot of it now! That sounds terrible really, knowing how desperate some ladies are to conserve their boobs but at 62 I perhaps have a different outlook on it all. Your journey is much harder than mine, as I haven't needed chemo (touch wood) and i'm not HER+ although it's high ER+. It's amazing how all these abbreviations just trip off the tongue now whereas 6 months ago I wouldn't have known what they meant, in my pre BC dx world! Sending you virtual hugs. X
Cocolily

Hope you ladies don't mind me joining ? Feel like in in the same boat. Was diagnosed in Feb. 2 lumpectomies no clear margins .. Grade 3 her2, decided to have chemo first. Am now on chemo 4 and waiting to see surgeon. Will push for a mx as surgeon originally wanted to do 3rd lumpectomy before chemo ! Just want it out ! Wish they would do a double but think as cancer in only 1 breast it will be a single .. Think also I'm having radiation so may have to have delayed reconstruction .. But if not a big deal Union re implant or diep fat transfer from belly ..hope to keep in touch .. I live in Kent by the way
mael

Patricia, I am really pleased all went well. The mastectomy, for once, it's something that would have made me feel so reassured! I am amazed that you woke up relieved, and happy even! Well done xx

Fuffs123

Hi Tricia
Well done and great to hear from someone who had a good experience. I feel very encouraged, as I'm facing a mx and possibly a double. I've had two WLEs already and sentinel nodes removed but don't react well to anaesthetic unfortunately. I was like a shivering jelly for several hours after the last one! Onwards and upwards.
Patricia11

Mael hi and thank you for asking about me.

Yes i went into day surgery yesterday to have my mastectomy with all the expected anxieties and i must say that i have found it a wonderful experience.

I was determined to be robotic whilst at hospital and just be resigned to the experience and get through it as i was scared but having the anastetic was really good and i went to sleep peacefully at about 2pm and i woke up in recovery at 5.30pm feeling elated and extremely happy with no pain or feelings of being unwell.

I was then taken to the ward for an overnight stay and given a hot drink and a biscuit. I was given tablet painkillers but i did not have any pain at all and i was discharged to return home at 11am this morning with the drain still in and and some painkillers. I have to return next week Thursday to see the bc nurse.

I have looked at my chest and i feel surprisingly content and happy which has surprised me as i have very large 44D boobs. The nurse gave me a softee falsie to use for 6 weeks when i will be measured and fitted with a prostesis.

Overall i just feel so happy to have had the breast removed to free me now of all the tumour and it is a wonderful relief.

I would tell anyone that the operation is easy to recover from and much less painful than the previous lumpectomies that i had before.

It is hard by i just want to have all the treatment available to prolong me life as it is all doable and if one year of my life getting through treatment can prolong my life it will be well worth it.

I would have the mx operation again without any fear.

So there is no need to have any worries.

Tricia

mael

Patricia, you must have had your op now -- how is it going? x

lavendersblue

So sorry to hear your results were not what you wanted to hear Patricia , hope your next op goes well and you heal quickly .
I had my second mastectomy in 5 months on 4th June , and am just waiting for my next appointment and follow up treatment plan .
Gentle hugs,
Jill xxx

Maria_B

Sorry about your results Patricia. I had mine today, and was amazed that he had got clear margins. In fact he said there was no DCIS in any of the bits he took out. I had totally psyched myself up for more surgery. I had told myself that at least I wouldn't have to have annual boob squish... Every cloud
lavendersblue

How did your results go Fluffs ? Fingers croosed for you . I had my second mastectomy on 4th June , as they found my angiosarcoma had spread into the other breast !! Bummer . I am now waiting for my path results to see what happens next . It had also returned into the 1st mastectomy scar from January , so they did a WLX on that at the same time !!
This time instead of stitches they used superglue ???? Was wondering if anyone else had had this used ? If so , how long before it all fell off ? Have to say I am not impressed with it ...it is hard and crunchy and looks awful ...all puckered , purple and very unsightly !!!
Hope you are all OK .
Hugs,
Jill xx

Fuffs123

Hi Patricia

Same for me unfortunately. My 2nd WLE showed more DCIS so its a mx for me. Could be a double if my BRCA test is positive. Won't know this for anothere three weeks yet and the waiting is driving me mad. They can't fix a date for the surgery until they know this. On top of that, I'm having some not too pleasant investigations for other health problems. Just trying to take a day at a time and keep busy. Sending you virtual hugs, know just how you feel. Xxx
Patricia11

Hi everyone 

Just an update unfortunately the surgeon failed to get clear margins on his second attempt so i am now booked to have a mx on 23rd June. That will be my third op in 2 months!!

I wanna scream and never stop but instead i will choose to smile and be thankful that i am having all the c removed.

xxxx

Maria_B

Two days to results.......
Fuffs123

Thank you Rose. Love my curry so do miss it. Think I'll try a nice mild chicken korma before I attempt the madras! Only joking. It was nice to go out for a meal and feel part of civilisation again. OH looked rather perturbed when I mentioned the curry and shot out to buy some more toilet rolls! Ho ho. Hugs to all x
Rosemaryanne

Hi Francine

Fish and chips? You'll be back on the curry in no time!!!

Hope it goes the way you want it to tomorrow. I know another girl who had that test today, and there are positives and negatives whichever the result.

Good to see your sense of humour is still intact

Will be thinking of you tomorrow

Love nd hugs

Rose xx

Fuffs123

I'm revolting, if you know what I mean! Awarded myself fish and chips tonight and told the tum it would have to put up with it. Did pass on the mushy peas as I didn't fancy the after effects, lol. Time will tell if it was a good idea! Bit apprehensive about the BRCA test tomorrow, mostly because of the implications if positive. Still one day at a time is my motto. Hugs to all. Xx
Patricia11

Fuffs my pizza went down my throat so quick that it didnt touch the sides but it tasted so wonderful that it made me feel so happy. It was quickly followed by a bowl of yoghurt and blueberries which added to the fun!! Only downer was my stomach was so full that i had to stay awake until 5am this morning as i was worried i might suffocate if i went to sleep as i was still feeling the side effects of the anastetic. But all good and you just have to be naughty sometimes!!

Tricia xxx
Maria_B

Oh Fuffs, I'm sorry. Just re read your post about "light diet" and feeling guilty about going on about food Hope you're back on top form soon xx
Maria_B

Glad it wasn't too bad for you Tricia. My lovely daughter came over later to look after me while OH visited his Mum (in hospital with a different cancer - we haven't told her about my minor league DCIS). She made Jamie Oliver's sausage pasta, but with spiralised courgetti instead of pasta, and then to rebalance the universe after that healthy start, chocolate and almond (gluten free) cake which was a recipe in the Sunday times this week - a Florence knight recipe. Delicious.

After a rubbish start - they told OH he couldn't wait with me, as they'd "changed the rules" since my last op 5 weeks ago - I actually had a lovely day which finished Fuffs, with TWO episodes of the Sopranos.
Fuffs123

Heh good news Tricia and Maria, nothing like your own bed! Mmm pizza, i'm salivating. Still on light diet but surely a pizza doesn't weigh much, lol. Neither do choccies or chocolate eclairs come to that !!! Hugs to all.
Patricia11

Hi  

Just arrived home after re-exision (second lumpectomy) Arrived at the hospital day admissions unit at 7.30am and went to theatre at 2pm so the wait for difficult but the experience was fantastic and i feel great just hoping the surgeon has managed to get clear margins this time.

I am not in any pain at all but still a but drowsy but i managed to eat half of a large pizza to chear myself up and i am now resting in bed looking forward to a great nite watching TV.

I was scared but there was no need to be and now feeling great that more of the cancer has been removed just sad that the "getting clear margins seems to be a trial and error approach so still might need more operations.

Tricia xxx

Maria_B

And now I'm home! In at 7, in theatre by 9, home by 1.30. Pain under control. Had a sneaky peak at new, nipple less boob. Can't see the ex-areola as its covered by a dressing, but as a whole it doesn't look too bad. Quite perky really. It would "pass the pencil test", unlike it's now non-identical twin.

I don't think it looks noticeably different when dressed, but if it's all out, I still have radiotherapy to come, so we'll see. As it is now, Maybe with a tattoo, I think I can live with it

Results on 17 June to find out if this is it, or whether it's new boob time.

Sorry to hear of your long wait Fuffs. It's a hard decision and there's no right answer. I hope your health improves all around and you get the results you want from the genetic testing xxxx sending as big a hug as possible on surgery day xxxx
Fuffs123

I'm wondering now if I ought to try for a third WLE. I've had other health issues, was in hospital recently for 10 days with a problem with my bowel, so could do with having the smallest op possible. I suppose the sensible thing to do (somehow BC seems to take the common sense away from you at times and replace it with a fried brain!) would be to await the result of the BRCA test and then decide. It's another month of awful waiting, which seems to have been my life for the past 6 months. Love The Sopranos by the way and our daughter calls us Tony and Carmella (no mafia connections I assure you, lol) so sad that James Gandolfini died. Our box set is at the ready!!!
Maria_B

It was a difficult decision to make - WLE vs mastectomy. I know I may end up having a mastectomy anyway if they don't get clear margins this time. I have been oscillating between the two options, but the further WLE was the surgeon's recommendation. Oh well. I'll know in 2-3 weeks whether I made the right choice. I'm less worried about the surgery than the wait for results. I need to find ways of distracting myself. I have ordered a box set of the Sopranos. May have to fast forward through the bits in the club with the girls with their baps out .
Fuffs123

I've had 2 WLE but they keep finding more high grade DCIS so surgeon is recommending a mx I also had 19mm of invasive removed during the first one. Also having the BRCA test on Thursday so may end up with a double mx. All this from spotting the tiniest dimple in my boob back in December. Seems a lifetime away now. Hugs to everyone Xx
Kiki2

Don't know about WLE as I had to have mx because two DCIS patches spotted too far apart , however I did ask how they measure DCIS as I was told after surgery I had 6cm. The measurement is linear. Xx
Maria_B

Tricia I think it takes a while to prep the sample, stain it etc so not realistic to do it while you're on the table. They did x ray mine to check for a margin round the micro calcifications and hence he took another shave of my inferior cavity. The waiting is rubbish.
I didn't have an SNB the first time.
Thanks for responding xx
Rosemaryanne

Hi

i had a 2nd WLE a month after the first.

Plus points- no interference with the underarm so none of that SNB agony

Minus- they had to go in deeper to get it all so the breast pain lasted longer.

I was told that if they failed to get clear margins on the 2nd, it'd be mx for me, but fortunately it was all removed.

Hope it goes well for you

Love Rose xx 

Patricia11

Maria 

Snap i am having surgery tomorrow as the surgeon did not get clear margins last time.   Why on earth cant they get the tissue examined by the pathologist during the operation to know whether enough tissue has been removed or not as the trial and error approach is crazy. I have been told that if this is not successful i can expect to have to have another op to remove yet more tissue and then if not successful a mx.

But to me that means i might have to have 4 operations which i am strugging with. There must be an easire way to get clear margins?

Tricia

Maria_B

Second WLE tomorrow

Once more into the breach..... My 10mm DCIS is now 24mm - and counting. Is it width, diameter? How do the count it? Also since they only had one clear margin I'm guessing the final size count will be higher.

I'm wondering if I should take a picture of my left nipple? Goodbye old friend etc..

Anybody had a successful 2nd WLE? Also was the recovery similar to your first time?