Second recurrence too much to cope with

Hi All
I have had primary bc in 2007,HER2+, wle, chemo, rads and herceptin. then a recurrence in July 2010 with DCIS and mastectomy, followed by recon and implant. Implant removed and replaced with LD flap and cells found on skin so no further recon. This was followed with tax and herceptin and finished last month.
Upon visiting my onc to be signed off a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I had a stringy piece of scar tissue on my axilla.(same side)Anyway I was whisked through for an ultrasound and biopsy and I found out lastweek its a second recurrence. I am having ct and bone scans to see if it has spread on Thursday. Its really knocked the stuffing out of me and I am finding it so difficult to come to terms with so soon after finishing all my treatment. I always thought the tax and herceptin would clear everything and to find it hasnt is a total shock. We even booked a family holiday in Italy the week after I finished my herceptin for September and now I feel as though I will not even make that now. Does anyone have any positive ideas about what I may be offered after surgery as I am at a loss to know where to turn.
Thanks
Anne

Hi Anne,

I can imagine you must be in a very dark place just now. I do hope that the scans will be clear for you.

The problem with being her2+++ is that herceptin does not work for all of us but I believe there are trials going on now at varying phases of drugs that run alongside herceptin - lapatanib is one that has been around for some time now, but there are newere ones and I am sorry I can’t remember their names. What chemos did you have first time round? There are most certainly other chemos that can be tried like capecitabine, navelbine and taxol plus a few others but it is tough for you to have to deal with so much chemo. They should also be doing biopsy & histology of your new recurrence to make sure it isn’t different from your previous ones. I do understand because I have been there. Diagnosed back in 1990 originally with a few recurrences and not too many breaks between them all! to dealing with bone mets since 2002. Herceptin has worked for me but was not around in my early years of dx so I didn’t get to have it till I already had 2ndaries.

Hope the next stage goes well for you - come back and tell us how you get on.

Dawn
xx

Hi Anne and welcome to the BCC forums

Please feel free to call our helpline for further support and to talk your concerns over, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy

Hello Anne,

I’m so sorry you find yourself here again and so soon. No wonder you feel it’s all too much to cope with. I’m on my 3rd diagnosis in 9 years, so I can empathise with some of what you’re feeling. As Dawn says, there are still lots of chemo options to try, though it may take a couple of goes before you find the one that’s going to work for you. I’m HER2- so can’t help with that, but there are trials coming through all the time which you may be eligible for and interested in.

I really hope that your scans come back clear and quickly, so that you can get on with treating this and still enjoy that holiday in Italy. Keep us posted when you can and keep breathing,

Angelfalls xx

Hi girls
Thank you for your swift responses, it does mean a lot to have the support on this site and be able to put things into perspective.
Dawn, I will certainly have a talk with my oncologist and breast consultant as soon as I see them, just have to get through the scans this week. The first time round I had epi and cmf.
Angelfalls, thanks for the information, I think we just go into panic mode as we dont really know whats available for us until the onc can have a talk and I can do some research and ask some questions.
Will come back and let you know as soon as I do.

Anne xx

Hi
Had a terrible couple of weeks waiting for the scans and results which I received on Wednesday. Unfortunately my breast cancer has spread to my upper lymph nodes, my lung and liver.The surgeon said they are spots on my one lung and liver and I have full capacity in both. As you may expect, our whole world has come crashing in and we are finding it very difficult to cope. We had a visit from a local hospice nurse yesterday and she helped to put our nightmares into perspective. We now have an appt with my oncologist on Tuesday. Its a very scary place we are in now,and we are just living day to day for the time being. Just hope these feelings pass and we can look forward to the next stage of my life.
Anne

Hello Annabelle,

I’m so sorry to hear of your secondaries diagnosis. Once you know what treatment you’ll be having, after your appt. with your onc, make sure you come to the secondaries boards to gather information, support and hope from those who’ve been there and are getting good results.

In the meantime, keep taking it one day at a time and keep breathing. Hugs, Angelfalls xx

anne very sorry to hear your results… that must be so utterly disappointing.

i have have BC three time in 5 years but not Her+ and not got mets so cant help on that side but i know there are lots of chemo regimes that you could try.

take care xx

Thank you for your positive responses, I am now moving my thread to the secondaries section.
Please feel free to comment on my post on there

Annabelle xxx