Second round of biopsies!

Hi All. Am a little stressed! So glad I found this forum as its been quite a week! I was referred to the breast clinic due to nipple discharge (left boob)and my GP found a lump that didn’t feel like the others (I get lumpy breasts). I’d been getting shooting pains in the left boob. As I’m 41 with no family history of BC I assumed I’d be told it was hormonal or something. But at the breast clinic (last wednesday) something showed up on my mammogram (a small microcalcification cluster). Something else then showed up on ultrasound. So I had a sample of discharge taken from the offending nipple and biopsy that was guided by ultrasound. They then did more but I was clamped in the mammogram machine for this one. It wasn’t a great experience as I was told repeatedly by the doctor taking the biopsies that my ‘small breasts are really very small and make it difficult to biopsy this way’ (in the mammogram machine). I did, however, find out that the pain is due to cysts and microcysts (whatever they are). I went back yesterday for my results. The area of concern that showed up on the ultrsound was benign. The nipple discharge contained red cells so if it continues he’ll remove the duct. They couldn’t however get a good sample from the biopsy on the microcalcifications. So the surgeon said that they could do an open biopsy (but was concerned about the dent in my ‘small breasts’ it would leave, as it would be substantial and it’s close to the chest wall) or retry the core biopsy. So a core biopsy was decided upon. I was still a bit tender from last week but had it done. I also had another marker placed in (this time he got it behind the cluster) But now I have to wait another week for the results. I was hoping for a definite answer regarding all the biopsy samples. I did however, find out that my ‘small breasts are really very small’!! ? if anyone reading this is awaiting results or having treatment, I wish you all the best x

Goodness Craigie, you’re certainly going through the mill on this, but at least everything is being done to get to the bottom of it.
Hope this gets resolved for you soon & if you want to, let us know how you get on.
ann x

Thank you ann-m. One thing this whole experience has shown me, is that they’re very thorough!!! That in itself is actually reassuring. I’m just a bit sore now. I will update with my results when I get them next week x

Hi ann-m.
Just to say I had my appointment today to get my results (last weeks was cancelled as surgeon was on holiday).
The biopsy has shown benign changes! I am back in 8 weeks to see if the nipple discharge has settled as they will remove the duct if it hasnt. But other than that I’ve been very lucky.
To anyone reading this who is going through tests or treatment, I wish you the very best xxxx

That’s fab Craigie!!! & thanks for reporting back, as its good for others to see that mostly there are benign reasons for these things.
ann x

Thank you!
Xxx