376052posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

belinda

Re: Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

Hi Nicky..sounds as though, ideally, you need 2 cleaners..one to clear up and one to clean surfaces. 🙂 xxx

india1

Can't sleep so will no doubt be entirely gormless tomorrow. Belinda, I have just got a cleaner, and do find I have to clear up before she comes. Otherwise she wouldn't be able to find any surfaces to clean.
love Nicky

belinda

Hmm I don't think you should change the fascinator Sue..Celeste I bet the £xx ones are lopsided and fall down over the eyes..when buying fascinators never spend less than £xxx..my free handy tip of the day.
Celeste I'm cultivating a Miss Haversham image..I can then pretend to be more interested in loftier things than the dust on the Habitat lamp above my head right now. Have just brillo pad my bookshelves though..they are now gleaming and very pink. Just waiting for books to dry out. 😉

celeste

....just a thought Sue - I had noticed that TK Max were selling fascinators for £xx - so if you need to change that.........!

Belinda it is quite clear to me that you still have standards - ugh! away with them - although I do quite like the Miss Haversham on pc image.

belinda

£xxx sounds an enormous sum Sue...and entirely sensible. 🙂
I'm the sort of person who would tidy up before the cleaner arrived so it would be very gormless of me to have one.
(Typing through the cobwebs)...Have a good weekend everyone..xx

SusieV

Yes, I too have a cleaner but not a window cleaner...they are difficult to get round here and our house is very tall so they will only do the ground and first floor windows anyway! But, I do have a gardener! He helps me out with the bits that are too heavy for me. None of this is gormless, it is just practical!!!

What is gormless is spending £xxx on a fascinator to wear in my hair at my cousins' wedding - I am not the mother of the bride or anything, I also spent £xxx on the shoes and £xxx on the dress!!!!! Then the bridesmaids dress arrived for my daughter and it is the same colour as the dress I had just bought!!!!!!! So I am going to have to start all over again........ Maybe I will just wear something I have already got....no one will be looking at me anyway.

Sue xx

nicky08
Community Champion

All the more time to go shopping I guess, Celeste 😉

jaynemh

Celeste - now that proves that i do have some sense after`all - i have had a window cleaner for a while ( well, right by the sea-) but have just started having a cleaner ! had really awful guilt complexes before but wow! its great - this is not gormless , makes total sense and my DLA pays for it!!!!!!!! highly recommended to all gormless friends Must think of more gormless ways to fritter away at whats left!!!! jayne

celeste

SECONDARIES HAVE MADE ME SEE SENSE!!!!

This is why I have now employed a window cleaner (why havn't I had one before - I have 84 panes of glass in my house?), and a house cleaner. Who uttered the immortal words - our Lucy (nominated cleaner), will love this, - she loves a challenge! Bah! Ok so my excuses have been, I've been, am ill, my fathers died, hence loads more junk, and we've had building work done, hence two bedrooms worth of junk on the landing - obviously they were still not good enough excuses for the chaos she obviously believed my home to be in.

SusieV

Hiya

I have Paul McKenna's book and CD 'I can make you thin' and got it out again last week after being visited by my little sister who is 4 inches shorted than me but also 3 stone lighter!!!!!!!! AND has been going to a personal trainer for the last twelve months and looks better now than she did 20 years ago!!!! Well, it stopped me reaching for the chocolates for a change - had the alcohol instead.

Is it just me or do steroids make your legs and middle fatter? My GP friend today tells me yes (she might just have been saying that to make me feel better) but she does say that it takes very little amounts of steroids to make you 'beef up' (my phrase, not hers I hasten to add).

So, I have just ordered double of everything from next ie. in size 12 & 14 also with my Boden order - all placed today for things I don't need but quite fancy the look of!!!! I did send everything else back the other week but kept the leggings (stretchy see....the only things that fit properly!!!) I have also ordered some sandals - surely they will fit??????

So, not too gormless - just too fat!!!!! But still here and smiling again - side effects of Monday's chemo are starting to ease - yahoo!!

Sue xx

celeste

Well m1yu - I hope you'll be in the jacket at the next bristol meet up.

Lesley I am worried about you - 3 Paul McKenna books - you're not supposed to eat them!

Well for my birthday I was delighted to get (seriously - this is worrying!) - a gardening apron, a pair of secateurs(sp?)and a scarf - now is that worrying or what.

Of course all of my children are late with their presents - typical - even tho their dads birthday is the day before mine, there is not really any excuse for not coughing up for either. Anyway we are reassured by the fact that they have all said they have not found anything special enough!

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Lesley
I echo your thoughts about 'does it really matter?' Somehow having mets makes that the most important medical issue we all have - now I wonder why that is? However the 2020 challenge has to be respected, after all I have to use up all my passport years having renewed it last year!
As to m1yu's jacket, wow, does that sound fab!
Nicky x

LesleyLP

I'll keep you posted Belinda (DON'T call yourself a large person!!!) I'm 50 in five weeks time and I always vowed not to be fat and 50, well that's gone out of the window! But I would really like to shift about a stone and a half just so that I can utilise more than 5% of my wardrobe!

Yes, I think the relaxation will be great regardless - my GP keeps telling me he doesn't want me getting hooked on Zopiclon (sleeping pills) My response, I'm afraid to say, is why does it really matter?!!! Even if I'm here for years (2020 challenge still at the forefront of my mind) what does it matter if I pop a sleeping pill every night?

Hope everyone's ok and having a good weekend

belinda

Oh Lesley your CD reminds me of a CD I ordered from the Bristol now Penny Brohn centre..it was a 'journey' into relaxation and visualisation and, I think, healing. The woman had such a lovely voice I would be asleep in minutes so at least the relaxation part worked. If you have great success with Paul M do let me know.
Belinda..large person..x

LesleyLP

Yes, welcome to the thread m1yu - jacket sounds fab to me!!

Today in my ever-increasing bid to lose my chemo forced/menopause weight (which I think is probably 10% due to last summer's chemo and menopause and 90% down to comfort eating) I have bought, for the third time, Paul McKenna's "I Can Make You Thin" in the vain hope that it will curb my appetite. I now have three copies of the book but have lost two of the CDs. Have now managed to put the CD onto my MP3 player. My feeling is this: even if I don't lose any weight, the CD sends me off to sleep so at least I might be able to ditch the sleeping tablets.

xx

belinda

Hi m1yu, the jacket sounds lovely..bright red leather! Gorgeous.
Welcome to our gormless thread..xx

m1yu

Hi everyone,

Only just found this thread and haven't read it all yet, but would like to add my experience.

Mum bought me a lovely new jacket a few days ago: bright red leather jacket with fake fur around the collar. I don't know why I did it, but for the first time, I wore it today to a large gathering with lots of friends, with glittering new necklace and bracelet (I seldom wear jewellery)!

And guess what? the greeting has been changed from "how are you today?", "how are you feeling?" to "oh, that looks nice!", "that looks cute!", "red suits you!" and (the most funny one) "you're wearing a fox!" Honesty, it's so refreshing for once, they don't talk about my health any more! LOVELY! I think I have to do this more often:-)

carmcg1

hi there, we got a puppy two weeks ago, he is a cockerpoo and we named him Ozzy, he is a wee darling and great company

hope you come up with a name soon!!!!

Carol xx

jaynemh

i meant cake!

jaynemh

Happy birthday celeste for tomorrow
we have thought of some very embarrising names to call out - Willie and Dickie! like it - pugs are sort of gay boy dogs!
keep shopping girls.....got an ourageously expensive birthday cke for my brother tomorrow - used to bake them but hey! only have limited energy and spending money is so much easier than baking!

bluejules

Nicky - thats a really good tip, one I hadnt thought of before. Someone I know called their dog deefer. They couldnt think of a name so it was D for dog - Deefer.

To all the birthday girls have a great weekend xxx

nicky08
Community Champion

Yes, happy birthday Celeste and, Jayne, you'll have to choose a name you are happy to shout at the top of your voice and not feel embarrassed about. What about 'Brad' LOL Wouldn't that be great? 'Brad come here NOW', 'Brad - stop doing that', 'Brad - get off me NOW' Oops - I'm getting carried away now!
Have fun, and happy shopping.
Nicky x

belinda

Even the dogs are getting the gormless bug. 🙂
Obviously very intelligent dogs.
Have a good weekend everyone..
and a Happy Boisenberry Birthday Celeste.
xx

jaynemh

well, if we cant quite make the gormless purchase yourself - maybe doggie steps in!!!!

Frank is the front runner for a name ! must decide before next week!...or bert .....

bluejules

Hello All

As we are on a doggy theme at the moment I thought I would let you see my doggy family. Meg the great dane and holly the heinz 57 or little and large as we sometimes call them.

not sure whether this will count as a gormless purchase but Holly went walkabout the other day, we live in the middle of nowhere. Eventually I tracked her down but had to pay the dog warden £72 to get my own dog back. She is now confined to barracks in case she goes wandering again. I'ld rather be spending my money on handbags than for springing Holly out of doggy jail.

Anne S, - unfortuneately I live in North Wales in the hills above Chirk. Otherwise I would have loved to meet up for a coffee.

love Julie xxx

SusieV

Hi Jayne

Can't wait to see picture of the new puppy. What are you calling him/her? I will have to wait a little before we get a dog, at least until after I have finished my chemo and decided whether I am going back to work or not etc.

Have fun with the puppy and I hope you are going along okay.

Sue x

jaynemh

well, glad to see gormless shopping coming to life! spent a load on preparation for no-name puppy, including a raincoat and a hoodie!and thanks for your words of encouragement - it really is for my daughter!!!!!! ...but if cat (her last pet) is anything to go by will be taking for lots of walks and clearing up the poo! will put picture up when we get him.......dont understand the bluberry / raspberry bit - but sounds gormless enough!!!!!
I think bidets should come complimentary with chemo!
jayne x

LesleyLP

Marmite, I'm SO pleased to see you posting - I'm really glad that you're feeling a little bit better.

I can't do a Bristol meet next week as I have the dreaded three-month onc check-up, Pamidronate, taking my mother out of the home for a day - plus have to work as well, not entirely sure how I'm going to manage it all to be honest. Could squeeze in a Taunton meet though!

I'm not sure if this is gormless or not but I was talked into buying a jar of exorbitantly expensive Life Mel honey this afternoon. I've been taking Manuka honey for ages now but this was more than three times the price! Expect to see me in the London Marathon and climbing Kilimanjaro very soon.

belinda

Look out for a large, bathroom suite shaped parcel Celeste...avocado is so now again. 😉
Good to hear everyone, apart from me, are buying dogs, new skirting boards and lots of other purchases.
Marmite, I'm glad your scan went well.
xx

celeste

oh Belinda - you are so right - I can see it now - a boysenberry bidet - it should make up for the fact that I never had an avocado suite and I've always felt a sense of loss.

Boysenberry - a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry - with a y not an i.

As for the dog issue I am sorry to report that my 'beloved?????' dog would not come out of the briar patch - after the brer rabbits - for at least 30 minutes - while I called and threatened like a mad woman, unable to reach her, so not now as positive as I once was about the mutt.

My birthday isn't until Sunday actually - so plenty of time to send off those pressi's - anything in a certain colour will be fine.

We definately need to meet up soonish - I can prob do mon, Tues and maybe ~Fri next week.

marmite

I am interirely gormless. After being in hospital. Actually went out this morning on my own, first time for weeks. Nearly forgot where I had left the car. Had my hair cut it is far too short now. But I do think I feel slightly better. Can't decide whether to have chemo next week or just give up, but will put off decision for moment. When are we going to meet up in Bristol again? I must be slightly better if I can think of that.Even though I Have to push a wheelcair and sit down in it every few minutes! Good job I had a brainscan last week, and it was Ok or I would really feel I was going mad.x

india1

Thanks to every body for your birthday wishes.Have spent a lovely weekend in a fantastic hotel near Ullswater. Happy birthday Celeste. Jayne-great to hear about the puppy.We got a spaniel last year and would not be without him ( despite the chewed skirting boards and stolen socks!) Not many gormless purchases lately, although you can't have too many headscarves can you?
love nickyx

nicky08
Community Champion

Well done Sue - even in the aftermath of chemo you manage to make a (gormless?, I think not) purchase and work on the not-so-subliminal messages to your husband 🙂 Have you chosen a name for your dog yet? LOL Hope you are coping OK.
Nicky x

SusieV

Too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen the post re Jayne's new puppy, FOR HER DAUGHTER!!!!!!, not sure if I believe that.

I have just had a picture framed that I bought while hubby and kids were away. It has a cast iron range and wood basket on it just like our kitchen and........a large friendly DOG sat beside it!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone is now commenting on what a lovley picture it is and how like our kitchen it is but.......there is just something missing!!!!!

I think I am nearly there...keep your fingers crossed.

RANDOM PURCHASE LATEST..... my sister visited and had a lovely new fleece on....I rang the shop and got them to post me a gilet the same colour and material and paid by card over the phone. It arrived ysterday and I have managed to squeeze myself into it!!!!!!! It will be great for walking my dog in!!!!!!

Ha Ha !!!! Sue xx

nicky08
Community Champion

Happy birthday Celeste - whichever day it is this week - hope you have a good day - maybe buy something special 😉 Jumper sounds lovely BTW what is boisenberry? Can you eat them?
As to Jayne's puppy - whatever you do don't mention it to SusieV! Or maybe I'm too late and she's found out on the other thread? Sounds lovely and just the thing your 'daughter' needs 🙂
No random purchases from me 😞 must try harder.
Nicky x

LesleyLP

Jayne, your puppy sounds adorable, I think we need a photo.

Happy Birthday Celeste for later this week - jumper sounds good to me but do you really need it with a new boiler chucking out all that heat? I think we should arrange a Taunton lunch so that you can wear it for me to see.

No gormless purchases for me this month, not quite sure where all the money's gone lately. However my daughter's friend has a litter of very cute kittens - mustn't go there though, two dogs plus kitten won't mix.

xx

belinda

Jayne..ahhh not a gormless purchase..a wise decision, puppy sounds adorable..xx
Celeste..is your bidet boisenberry? 😉 If not I think you must change it. Happy Birthday...xx

celeste

...well jayne I hope you got a new boiler through warmfront - mines just been installed at no cost - which of course means I can fritter money away on something pointless - which I just have actually this very afternoon. One very expensive Masai jumper - boisenberry again - I've just given it to my husband and told him it's my birthday presi - which is later in the week - what would i have done otherwise????

In my defence I think it was cheaper than a pug puppy - and there are no vet bills involved!

juliet66

Awwww. Of course it is for your daughter 🙂

Julie

jaynemh

well , i have not contributed to this thread for a long time - mainly cos my purchases have been few and far between and actually, not very gormless - a functional wardrobe and getting boiler and window fixed!!!!!! HOWEVER - i have redeemed myself, BIG TIME!!!!! just bought a pug puppy - for a small fortune! tiny and black and not ready to pick up until 4th march.....how gormless is that - the excuse i use is that it is for my daughter, of course!!!!!!!

juliet66

Did you have a lovely celebration Anne?? Was thinking about you. Juliex

AnneS

Ooh Jules, I live in the Welsh hills too. Where are you? Am in South Wales (not far from Newport or Cardiff) - you don't happen to be near do you - would be interested in meeting up if you do if you are?
Take care,
Anne x

bluejules

Hi Just wanted to say very happy Birthday to Nicky for today hope you are doing something special as I type.

Would like to say I was getting out my summer clothes but tonight the snow is back. 3 inches and still coming down.

Thats what you get for living in the welsh hills.

love julie x

celeste

...yup this has got to stop by tomorrow I will have eaten out three times this week - can I afford it - Bank Manager says no, waistline says definately not! How else to meet working friends, thats not too energetic - I always try to combine it with a dog walk tho - she says lamely!

Jennywren

Oh to be remembered as someone who could close down shoe shops. I salute your legacy Debs.

Jennyx

LesleyLP

I tried shouting HUT but was told to be quiet 😞

I'm so deeply uncool in the eyes of my daughters, it's really quite tragic

belinda

Hee I loathe the ads Lesley..I hope you all shouted 'HUT' to each other. 🙂

LesleyLP

Happy Birthday to everyone I've missed over the last few weeks. Sounds as though you've had a great 40th Anne - hope there's many, many more to come.

I'm not at all surprised that the Jan Jansen shop is closing down without its best customer - Debs had some fabulous shoes. Think of her a lot ....

Not sure about gormless shopping at the moment but doing a lot of gormless eating out - Pizza Hut tonight which I loathe, but it was cheap and cheerful with the girls and saved any tedious cooking. Trouble is this sort of thing is becoming a bit of a habit 😞

belinda

I always think of Jan Jansen shoes when thinking of Debs. My very best wishes to her family..xx

celeste

I've just heard from Ian (Debs in Cornwalls husband) that Jan Jansen the shoe shop that she made famous is closing down. How could they go on with the loss of their best customer. Still bargains are to be had for those who live near St. Ives I'm told.

Thinking of you Debs and you too Ian.