375580posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

alesta29

Re: Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

Melissa - excellent list. Hope your stay goes well.
I have to fess up and say that I once bought my husband (who loves cooking) a potato masher for his birthday. It had a ducks head as the handle. He wasn't impressed (and I didn't even have cancer at the time so can't blame that LOL!)

It's our local primary schools summer fun day on Saturday. I have learned to take a carrier bag with me so I can recycle all the tat I buy. I should just write them a cheque and have a free afternoon to myself instead!

nicky08
Community Champion

Dear miners, how's the coal face or are you just reading books with your head torches lol. I can picture M in her glam hospital outfits, carefully chosen for the occasion, sitting up with her headlamp on, blinding the nurses when she looks at them as they come in to find out what she's up to under the covers 😉 Good luck with your hospital visit, I hope whatever you are in for goes well and gives good results.
Not much on the gormless front from me other than several metres of green covered wire netting that I need to fix to the bottom of the rabbit proof fencing to keep the blessed rabbits out, who don't understand what rabbit proof fencing is for.
Nicky x

scottishlass

Tillycat, i must have been tyoing when you posted above. Just to say I hope your hospital stay goes well tomorrow and I think you have cetainly been Gormless....but in a good way.....I bought a shorty dressingown recently and it is great as I do not trip on the hem like the long dressingown I used before...really useful....Have you time to run in to buy a head torch for reading in bed if you cannot sleep at night....really useful....Love Val

scottishlass

I have a very unusual Brother in law.....I do not remember if I have shared with you the list of unusual gifts. My daughters both received decoy ducks one year (the kind that look like real ducks and used to entice real ducks so that the hunter can shoot them!) Then there was the large bright orange survival sack he bought me one Christmas.....for camping ....for use in an emergency. But he is learning though and one of the better gifts has been a head torch for reading in bed without disturbing my hubby....this I really LOVE and use it lots.
Took my daughter shopping this afternoon and bought her some clothes to take back with her to France. I bought myself some lovely leather shoes and a green velvet scarf ( have so many scarves I cannot shut the lid of the large wicker basket that holds them all. I need another scarf like a hole in the head....but it is a pretty colour!
Glad to see that the thread has started up again....makes me smile.....love to you all, Val

tillycat

My husband bought me a set of scales for our first wedding anniversary. I was not at all grateful!! He said that he thought that I liked 'practical' presents, I said that I did but only when they were mixed with girly/romantic types gifts, i did also say that cost wasn't the thing it was more the thought. Now 17 years later he still often gets me kitchen or household things but will always add in some flowers or bath stuff. Such a sweetheart, I love him for always remembering (or maybe I was so awful I scared him into it!)
I am off to the hospital for an overnight stay tomorrow. Decided I needed a new nightie as the ones I have are a bit scruffy so I bought 4, then I also got 2 pairs of slippers (couldn't decide which ones I would take) then I got a new shortie dressing gown (much better for sitting up in bed) which meant that I also needed some new pj bottoms -2 pairs (cos I didn't want to walk around in a nightie and shortie dressing gown combo
I also got an extra big handbag so that I could take books, iPad, medicines etc seperately to my overnight bag (not sure why, seemed like a good idea
Phew, think that covered everything. I may have to ask to stay longer just to try to get use of all my new 'barbie does hospital' wardrobe
Does that count as gormless?
Mx

belinda

Oh I'm in awe of 48 pairs of knicks...my undie drawer is VERY boring, 12 black, 12 white...all the same, all M and S... 🙂
geewhiz

Well somebody must have been gormless shopping in the past - I've just sorted through my underwear drawer and managed to throw out 48 pairs of assorted knickers//briefs/thongs. Can't understand where they all came from!!!

Still so impressed with 32 linen shirts though - definitely a prize for that one Belinda 🙂

Jx

Lemongrove

Nicky it sounds like your hubby may have been in touch with mine about "useful gifts". On one notable birthday, my husband bought me some bathroom scales (the sort that tell you what percentage of your body is fat). I was naturally very grateful (honestly).

juliet66

Hello Belinda,
I hard a cargo pant cull and now only have about 6 or 7 !!
I thought it was just me with Monsoon. If the tops fit me around the tummy they bag around the shoulders.
32 shirts. Well done. 🙂
She still cannot decide on the dresses. Neither can I. Oh and there are another two arriving

Lovely to chat to you Belinda,

Julie xxx

belinda

Ah juliet..Hi 🙂 Get thee to Ebay...especially with those prom dresses and it being nearly Summer hols. 🙂
Monsoon do have strange cuts or maybe I'm just a strange shape. What happened to your warehouse of cargo pants? 😉
Last week I counted up my M and S linen shirts...various colours but all the same...I have 32 of them. But I do wear them all of the time...those and the blasted Crocs...4 pairs all same colour.
juliet66

My name is Julie and I am a secondary gormless shopper ( long term see previous).
It has been some months ( maybe a year)since my last confession.
I will list (otherwise may take too long). These are only the items I can recall at present.

8 prom dresses for my daughter ( off ebay, all new)-all of which she hates ( but of course i can resell them) 😞
A blackberry playbook ( for no apparent reason as we have a family ipad)
A camping hook up socket thing ( not been camping for about 8 years)
Another new Monsoon tunic dress ( that doesnt fit properly) to go with the other load that either dont fit or I never wear ( Ebay so that makes it ok ) !!!!
A gastric band hypnosis cd ( ha ) that I have used 2x and seems to have made me eat more
Another pair of walking boots ( already have 3 and cannot really walk more than a short distance due to mets in my spine)
Oh dear, credit card maxed out.

nicky08
Community Champion

Oh dear, Pixie, you really do have it bad 😉 Did you also order an instruction manual so you can do all those stitches? Like you, I only sew buttons, so woud have no idea how to do embroidery.
Talking of sewing and gormlessness, years ago, a couple of years into our marriage, OH was deciding what to get me for my birthday. He was choosing between a pair of emerald stud earrings (not huge, expensive ones btw, I'm not that glam or wealthy!) or a sewing machine. So, he chose the sewing machine. Not his smartest move I can tell you, the earrings would have been far more useful to me! Maybe he was trying to tell me something?However he's learnt from his mistake, I made sure of that ha ha, and nothing 'useful' has ever been bought again. Well, other than a pasts machine this Christmas, which I did want and do use.
Nicky x

alesta29

Pixie - You are definitely the most gormless person of the week! Well done!!!
Lx

pesteringpixie

Nicky the shoes sound sublime, just the thing alesta needs when she gets round to creosoting the fence panels!
As for me, well the rocking chair now has its victorian trumpet table and i have the embroidery kit. Up to this point in my life, i have sewn buttons. I am now intending to embroider a small cloth to drape over trumpet table. So, instructions tell me i will be using running stitches, satin stitches and french knots. Hmmmmm, don't use any of those when sewing on buttons.

So there i am, in nausea inducing rocking chair pretending i am about to make a start.... When realise what i really need is an embroidery hoop with magnifier and lamp attached. Just the job. So went on to amazon, placed order and added in a pair of crocs in bright purple for good measure.
Must be the company i am starting to keep.....

Pixie xxx

alesta29

This week I have bought, 2 pair of Asda soft slippers (1 pair for work and 1 for home) and 4 pair of gel insoles for Xeloda feet (because you have to keep some in the freezer.) Am now on the hunt for the perfect sleep mask...

Oh and did I mention I bought 7 wattle fence panels (!)

Shoes sound lovely Nicky!

nicky08
Community Champion

I went shopping with my eldest daughter the other day, luckily she wasn't expecting me to buy her anything. We were in John Lewis and she was trying on some sparkly 'wedding' shoes - or rather the ones she wants when she gets married. I decided to try on some shoes at the same time. A lovely pair of sling back, high heeled silvery/ivory satin peep toe ones., perfect for said, or any other, wedding. Am I going to a wedding? No. Did I need them? No. Did I buy them? Of course I did LOL.
Nicky xx

chrisp1e

Pixie - you make me laugh so much! Can just see your OH tumbling outa the hammock!
Christine xx

scottishlass

Pixie, You made me smile picturing your husband falling out his hammock. I have one somewhere but it has a stand to hang the hammock from. Must look it out. All we need is sum decent weather. We have had thunderstorms and torrential rain today. I haven't been shopping. Too busy but glad I stopped by to see how my Gormless freinds are doing. More Gormlessness please. Love Val

pesteringpixie

It's getting worse..... have now bought a Victorian trumpet sewing table to put alongside nausea inducing rocking chair.
I don't sew. So not only do i have to keep doing the obligatory rocking telling OH how soothing I find it whilst turning green at the gills, I have now ordered an embroidery kit off ebay so I have something to put in trumpet table (Long Melford Antiques this time)
OH asks why i bought that, I said to match the rocking chair. he shakes his head.
I feel like I am in a downward spiral of ever-increasing gormlessness i hate rocking and suspect i shall hate embroidery even more, So how about we start a Gormless thread swap shop?
Just imagine, we could keep the potal service going in gormless exchanges!
Alesta, OH bought a hammock last year... spent ages hooking it up to trees. he got in it, the thing rolled over he fell out and he broke his collar bone! And he hasn't even got cancer - perhaps it is gormlessness by osmosis?
Pixie xx

alesta29

Socs with Crocs - know that look well. Think it looks pretty good on 5 year olds but add a 0 to the five and it's well dodgy!
I'll check out the moshulu shoes - thanks Lesley.
Pixie - you just know you're going to have to keep rocking in that chair - even when you're feeling nauseous LOL! I had that problem after I bought myself a chemo hammock last year - hmmm a thing to lie in when feeling sick that moves - definitely gormless there.
Lavenham is pretty but a bit twee and the shops around the Swan have too many zeros on their price tags!. Have a friend who lives in Acton so know the area pretty well.
What about doing a Farrow and Ball shabby chic paint number on the chair - might make it look more Scandinavian!

pesteringpixie

THis thread is such good fun to read, thank you to all who post.
This week saw me buying a beautiful Oak windsor style rocking chair..... Wait for it..... On Friday, I watched Antiques Road Trip (finding that bc giving me opportunity to become armchair antiques expert as antique programmes on all day), anyway, Friday's programme was around my area, Suffolk. One of the shops they went in was in Lavenham, just up The road from me. The 'expert' noticed this rocking chair and said how good it was.
Saturday morning, i go out to the local farm shop to get organic veggies and find my car outside said antique shop in Lavenham.
Half an hour later, said rocking chair in back of car with organic veggies.
Now my house is very modern, cream carpets, minimalist, low slung sofas, Danish dining furniture.. And to this I introduce a 200 year old dark oak rocking chair.
It doesn't go, neither aesthetically or spatially. It is currently in the conservatory looking like a sore thumb and I feel obliged to keep sitting in it and having a rock, which compounds the chemo nausea.
OH says I look like granny clampitt.

Gormless or what?

Pixie xxx

scottishlass

I have so enjoyed reading about all your Gormlessness Ladies. Made me smile. Not had time to be Gormless this week but there is still time....love to you all, Val

LesleyLP

Laurie! Moshulu.co.uk, really comfy and currently buy one get one half price :). I even venture into heels on special occasions but my feet are holding up pretty well ATM . Body shop hemp cream is good. I love xeloda, working miracles right now. Hope it does the same for all of you, Belinda, know it is for you xxx

belinda

No dresses are long enough to hide my cankles. 😞 Since Capecitabine I've been in Crocs, the only darn things that fit my swollen feet and swollen ankles...and wait for it, not just Crocs but Crocs with SOCKS so my feet don't rub. I know it's a small price to pay, I love Capecitabine, it's been good to me since 2008. 🙂
nicky08
Community Champion

Careful what you are saying Laurie, you'll have the Crocs police after you for insulting them. You know who you are!
The gormless-ness that has overcome me is buying undercoat and gloss for my windows, how stupid is that? And even more so, using them to paint the outside of the windows. Must be mad.
Nicky xx
ps Long dresses are the way to go! No more faffing around with what goes with what, they hide a multitude of sins and you can always wear thermal leggings under them for those 'summer' evenings in the garden with your Pimms LOL

alesta29

Lesley - long dresses eminently sensible to hide ugly Xeloda shoes - unless of course you have found some nice ones, in which case let me know so I can get out of my stupid Crocs

LesleyLP

Well, I am definitely doing well in the gormless stakes lately - bought not one, not two but three maxi dresses for all these lovely balmy summer evenings we''re having, you know, sitting in the garden with a glass of Pimms, wafting around in my dresses .... more likely they'll just sit in my wardrobe for ever more, waiting for the rain to stop 😞
All your purchases sound eminently sensible to me 🙂

alesta29

Another not gormless purchase - Have just ordered a digital voice recorder (ie dictaphone) so I can start rambling on about stuff to my kids. I did start keeping an online private diary with a company called Penzu which you can either pay for or get a free account. I had looked at a private blog but they bring up the most recent post last and I wanted something the kids could read in chronological order.
I often find though that the pearls of wisdom that occur to me are often at work or when I don't have access / or can't be blthered to write down. Hoping the fact that I can talk for Scotland will mean the recorder is a really useful purchase. (Of course if it ends up in the drawer, I'll put it down to gormless!)
Nice to hear you had a good meetup Marilyn and Belinda!
Strawberries always essential and an amber necklace - jealous!
Laurie x

belinda

Yes I had a lovely time meeting up with Marilyn...and you can never have too many strawberries and cream either! 🙂
My husband bought me a lovely amber necklace 2 weeks ago...no reason...and I'm worth it 😉 so not gormless and I've been buying lots of poetry books...good for the soul and so, again, not gormless. 🙂
moondog

Hi, it's not shopping related, but I did accidentally wash my face with shampoo this morning. That's pretty gormless.
Moondog xxx

Marilf

Hi Val - yes, I like "hooky" earrings too, rather than studs - I used to wear V E R Y B I G ones, but now am much more demure in my taste . . . and absolutely addicted to beautiful hand-made silver ones. Blush.

I'm doing OK, thanks - on hols in East Anglia this week and next - saw Belinda (who posts here on BCC) and another secondary BC friend on Tuesday - we meet every summer for lunch: laughs, eats, bubbly, sunshine and occasional gormless shopping. Always great to see them.

Hope you're feeling as well as poss, and that it's not torrentially raining in Scotland! Do PM me whenever you want a quiet little chat, too.

Love, Marilyn xx

scottishlass

Well done Marif. What kind to you ike best? I like the ones that just have a "hook" rather than the bit you put on the back. I have lots too and have "favourites" that my friends and daughters bought me so I think of them when I wear them. Hope you are keeping okay jusy now Marif. Pm me me if you want a private chat anytime. X

Marilf

Earrings - I'll say no more. I have a lot of pairs of earrings . . . and only two ears . . . xx

scottishlass

Now teaching my Brother in Law to become gromless. He was in the Clarks Shoe shop. He could no longer get the shoes he wanted from the firm on line. So he saw the very shoes he wanted. he used to pay £65 plus postage for them but they were £24.99. So he picked up 2 pairs. I pointed out that for the pair he usually bought on line he could afford to buy 3 pairs. He said no....at first....then went back to get another pair. I am so proud that I have encouraged him to be Gormless. He is not on the BCC site but must encourage others to shop gormlessly! Any new buys anyone?

scottishlass

cLEARED OUT MY WARDROBE SO LOTS OF SPACE NOW. SO BOUGHT 4 TOPS TODAY WHICH MADE ME FEEL JUST A TAD GORMLESS. ALL I NEED IS SOME DECENT SUN TO STRUT MY STUFF. I HOPE YOU GORMLESS LADIES ARE DOING OKAY AND HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND. I AM OFF IN MY CARAVAN TOMORROW. HUGS VAL. XX

golightly

Oh I've just found this gormless shopping thread and it's cheered me so much! I've done loads since diagnosis, with new blinds, sofa and chair, and clothes too, all new. I just need retail therapy as much as my zometa. My iPad makes shopping so easy too........!! Glad to see I'm not alone....love the idea of silk carpets.......!

vercors

Val,
I am glad you were unable to find this thread and that I was able to find it for you. I had never looked at it before and it cheered me up.
I started emptying my wardrobe after secondary diagnosis for anything I had not worn in a while to save the kids the hassle. Who was I kidding right!. Well now I need to empty it as I needs space for bigger clothes for fatter me!

nicky08
Community Champion

Val, what a good effort to convert your friend, well done 😉 Nice to see you are still bargain hunting, but is that truly gormless? I think you need to ask yourself 😉 I haven't been gormless shopping in ages as, absolutely everything has been essential, well, that's what I tell OH.
Nice to see gormless shopping occurs around the world, there's no escape LOL
Nicky xx

alesta29

I was in Riyadh from 1989-1994 working at RKH (military hospital). I lived on compound at the hospital and my (now) husband lived at airport village. We used to do the Thursday Hash (running not walking!) and did all the running, cycling, trialthlon events.
I actually didn't bring that much crap home (surprisingly!) Apart from the carpets and a couple of small decorative doors, I had a couple of camel stools, a couple of those carved camel heads that spread out to make table legs, a gold bangle for every year I was in the middle east (5 for Riyadh, 2 for Baghdad and I was bought 2 by friends) and assorted copper vessels / boxes. My husband had bought some of those lovely colourful baskets from the place beginning with A (can't remember) that everyone goes to. He also had some lovely Spencer Tart paintings but his ex took those.
One of the things I always fancied was one of those huge fur lined coats that people used to wear on cold race mornings. I also should have travelled more but my ex was a tightwad and we only ever went home to see his mum (in Cardiff so not so exotic!)
I imagine it has changed so much. One of my friends who is retired now used to go back every few months to do some work for one of the Princes to do with traffic flow around the city and said he hardly recognised the place when he was last there.
I was clearing stuff out the other week and found my posh abiyah which my daughter has commandeered.
Good to hear you are getting excellent treatment out there.
Laurie x

horsie5050

Ha ha! I'll bet they loved you, The shop owners probably ate for a year on your cash!!! I live in Riyadh! On Arabian Homes compound, when did you return home and where did you live? I am having all my treatment at The King Faisal Specialist Hospital, managed to get a Royal warrant, so the king is paying for all my treatment. I am very glad I am out here as they treat secondary bc aggressively. They are throwing everything at me, and it's working..so far... Is there anything that you really miss out here that you wish you'd brought home? ( apart from the sun!!) Love to all of you.. xxx

alesta29

Horsie, I lived in Riyadh for 5 years and just before I left, my husband had gone home to buy a house for us. I got a call from him to say "stone floors - buy carpets" and ended up buying 7 in 1 day! Essential - not gormless and they have served us well. One of the things I used to buy pretty much all the time was fabric and I now have so much that even if I were to live to a ripe old age, I would never get through it all! Missing the sunshine (and the A/C) and shopping into the early hours during Ramadan!

scottishlass

Well my story today is Bargain hunting story.... not the gormless kind. I was in the M & S outlet shop. My friend bought a top (she is tiny) and picked it up for 99p. There was only one. I looked around and found one in my size but with a £2 99 sticker. I asked an assistant which price mine would come up at the til. She said that they were all 99p but there was an offer . If I coud find 2 of them the second one would be half price! They weren't expensive to begin with but you know me by now. I love a bargain.
My friend however wasn't in a shoppin mood but by the end of the afternoon she managed to buy 2 pair of leather shoes, one outdoor Regatta jacket, a linen dress, a linen long sleeved shirt, two tops, a cardigan and trousers. She said she hadn't bought as much as this in the last year! So I was only helping a friend to become Gormless! Love t you, Val

horsie5050

Hi, have been lurking for a while but thought I would share with you what happened to me today. I live in Saudi Arabia where there are loads of very old traditional souks, I went down to the souk this morning to buy a cheap hessian shopping bag...walked past carpet shop and was drawn in, ended up spending a shed load of cash on a silk rug which I never knew I needed. Have hidden rug from The Husband, not too sure how to tell him!!!!! I ran out of money and never bought my shopping bag!
Love to you all from a very hot Saudi.xx

scottishlass

Yes Pixie, that is the idea! But just look on it as a wonderful example of giving money to charity! I am glad you have enjoyed reading the thread. I want to keep adding to it to keep it near the top of the posts for everyone to enjoy so please keep posting. It gives a lighthearted change from the other posts. Have you come across the thread anout "Benchland" yet? if you cannot find it come on here and I will bump it up for you. Love Val

pesteringpixie

Hello ladies,

Am currently in steroid-induced insomnia mode and so spent the last couple of hours reading threads I haven't checked out previously. The term 'gormless' attracted me to this one. Haven't heard that word since I moved south 26 years ago. But 'gormless' is quite perfect for describing the retail behaviour we get into.

I have laughed so much at the posts on here. What a wonderful legacy we can leave, the joy of laughter.

When I was first diagnosed, I went into reverse gormlessness. Stopped all my shopping completely and determined to use stuff up. So all those dozens of bottles of pots and potions, all promising eternal youth, finally got a look in. My cancer head told me 'you can't leave all this tutt behind'. I worried about the books on the shelf still un-read, you know, the must-have airport 2 for the price of 3 lot; the clothes that had years of wear left in them and as for the shoes and boots....

I loaded the car up and took masses of stuff into Cancer Research.

This is where the gormless comes in..... 2 weeks later, I was in Cancer Research buying it all back. The lady behing the counter remarked 'You have been lucky today dear, finding so many things you like...'

Does that qualify for gormless?

Much love

Pixie xxxx

geewhiz

Wel just as I'm in the mood for some gormless shopping, I can't! First I find that my credit card has "had its security compromised", and I then discover that my debt card (which is also my cheque guarantee card) has expired - and all this at the start of a 4 day bank holiday weekend! My husband is 4,000 miles away, so I've had to resort to the Bank of Mum!
Total spending today - £2 on a magazine!!!
xx

Marilf

I want a new front door! I don't need one, so it would be completely gormless.

Can report some gormless t-shirt purchases for holiday in East Anglia (where it is chilly & raining, I believe), and some jeans with stars on. You can never have too many of those, I find.

Hope others have more to report . . .

xx

lizcat

Sorry, Val, I've been very non-gormless shopping wise over the last few months.....Indulged in a couple of maxi dresses from M&S outlet last week, the long size version even though I'm 5'2" but Mum is taking them up for me in time for my hols this weekend. Otherwise, the only stuff I've bought has been a new front door, tiles and other 'house' or DIY stuff. Note to self - must do better!! I did think about getting some books on to my kindle even though I've about 20 waiting to be read on it and some 'proper' books to read too but stopped myself before doing any damage. You can make up for me!! x

scottishlass

Has there not been any Gormless shopping done by any of you ladies then? I am going to try to spend some pennies today on myself. I wonder what I wil come back with.V

scottishlass

You will need it when you buy your Eriba!