cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

nicky08
Community Champion

Re: Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

Hi Anne - what a lovely way to celebrate - seeing all your friends and great to keep it going all week - have a great time.
Linen - I love it in the summer - I iron it very carefully - SOME of us know what an iron is 😉 and then it's creased on the 1st non-standing position! Why do I bother - but then again I am a bit OCD 🙂 As to wearing colours other than black and brown - I always love to have a different colour on especially the top half. I'm a 'spring' person which is not just when I was born but the colours that suit me so as soon as all the 'autumn' and 'winter' colours hit the shops after the summer sales I get very frustrated not being able to by a brighter colour. Really loving the bright colours at the moment especially all those bags and shoes that keep saying 'buy me, buy me'. I am a very weak willed person so it is only time before I give in!
Nicky x

belinda

Psst Celeste..I don't know how jwren does it but she never ever looks rumpled, crumpled..etc.
Me..lots of linen, steam iron on max and the dropped in hedge look you mention.

Guest user
Not applicable

Linen?

a) A seasonal change for the better is around the corner.
b) It looks so glamourously and couldn't-care-lessly rumpled.
c) Those of us who are truly gormless-natured have NO IDEA which side of an iron is up. Our lives are far, far too short.

Happy Birthday to all you Fishy types.

Jx

Guest user
Not applicable

Yup I've seen the ukelele orchestra - they are very entertaining.

I too am a february birthday person so happy birthday to all other fellow pisceans (creative, artistic, intelligent, sensitive etc etc....).

My buy of the month has been a boisenberry top (is this the new colour!) - however on it's first and only outing I did feel a bit silly with every else wearing browns and blacks! - and why oh why do i buy so much linen when i look as though i've been run over and dropped in a hedge in seconds.

AnneS

Hi all,
Thankyou for all the lovely birthday wishes and love and wishes to all fellow February birthdays and have a great 40th on Thurs Nicky.
Had a wonderful time at my "Open House" party yesterday which went on for 9 hours and lots of people travelled from all over Uk which was lovely. Have been thoroughly spoiled and the house is like a nursery with the most beautiful flowers and great cards and presents!Have got a whole week of celebrations and went to a fantastic classical piano concert today and was taken out for a fab lunch at Jamie Oliver's new restaurant in Cardiff. Tried on yet another dress but didn't let myself be so gormless today with 2 dress purchases on Sat!! Hope you enjoyed the Ukes Susie. I've seen them twice too and they're fab!
Take care all xx

belinda

Happy Birthday ALL fellow February birthday girls.
Hope you managed the cinema nap Nicky! And managed to discuss the finer points of the plot afterwards. 🙂
Sue I had a de-clutter last weekend...once I'd started I couldn't stop. Felt good to bring a bit of order back though.
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Birthday for Thursday Nicky and today for you Anne and you too India (Hope I have that right).

I am missing Richard and the children but I have a friend staying with me and we will be going for a walk soon if it ever stops raining/sleet/snowing!!!!! Every time I think it's okay it starts again. Thank goodness for the Olympics I did every one of the men's downhills with them last night, I was exhausted by the end!!!! They would have been able to measure my time down that course in hours not hundreths of a second!!!!!!!!

My goodness though, how tidy is my house???? Everything is where I left it - so I am not losing my marbles after all!!!!!!! Hurrah! BUT can't wait for them to come back just sad that I haven't got my horrible chemo week out of the way whilst they are away!

My parcels from Boden and the White Stuff haven't arrived yet!!!!!!!!

Love Sue xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Nicky -- Happy Birthday for Thursday!! Hope you'll be doing something gormless to celebrate. I like the idea of taking your son to the cinema so you can have a sleep -- maybe look at the film's website before you go so you can hold your own in the post-viewing discussions??? That would be pretty gormless . . .
Marilyn x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
Happy birthday to all the women with birthdays around now. I'm 40 on Thursday and can't quite believe it.
Am currently thinking about taking son to the cinema this afternoon so I can have a nap. Is that really bad? The trouble is he'll want to discuss the finer points of the plot afterwards!
love Nicky

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everybody have only just found this thread I think I can claim to be completely gormless cos - Sue - I have just sent you a PM wishing you luck with chemo today and you havent been able to have it
. As Del boy would say what a plonker!

Is there really such a thing as a ukulele orchestra - I am amazed I obviously need to get out more.

Happy Birthday to all the birthday girls. Had my big 50 last March . My profile picture is me and Colin in Rome celebrating. hope you are all able to do something nice on your birthdays.

love Julie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Love the Uke Orch. Have a great time Susie.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi you lovely gormless ladies. Happy birthday Anne hope you having a fantastic day. I have also gone a bit made on blingy earrings and chunky necklaces since my hair grew back in. In the past I stuck to delicate jewellery but bling is the way forward now.

Anne xx

nicky08
Community Champion

Boden can be expensive but with the 15% off it does make a difference. Ooo I sound like one of their marketing people! Good for you Susie for looking on the positive side of missing chemo! I used to when I missed a couple of sessions to low neuts and made damn sure I enjoyed myself as I had an extra 'good' week. Hopefully you are not missing the family, and ski-ing too much 😞 Keep cheering yourself up with all those 'must-haves' or in my case 'shouldn't haves'!
Nicky x
Sorry Anne - I forgot to wish you a very happy birthday - hence the editted comment.

Guest user
Not applicable

Couldn't have my chemo today so stopped off on the way back from hospital and bought myself a new top to cheer myself up. I will wear it though on FRiday night as I am going to see the Ukeluele (spelling!!!!) Orchestra. They are fab, I have seen them twice before and thought I might be too grotty from the chemo to go but.....the only upside of not getting my chemo is that I can go to this.

It is a very girly top but not really long enough to cover my big bum if I wear leggings, mind you, it will be dark so........ might risk it!!!!! If I hear anybody going baah, baah (mutton!!!) I know I will have made a big mistake!!!!!

Sue xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Birthday Anne.

Can I join in? I am gormless so fit the bill. 🙂

Clothes aren't my biggest vice but I do tend to buy lots of stuff online. Like the vacum that was on offer, too heavy for me to push around. So many cleaning products, don't use them though.

I seem to find myself looking at computers a lot, I am only two clicks away from buying my sister one for her birthday.

I do go with the legging and long tops look. Very handy for me. I have several tops that I will never wear but they seemed like a good idea at the time.

As well as being gormless, I have reverted back to child like sulking behaviour. Didn't get any chocolate today and sulked, so much so my eldest son went to the garage and brought me a ripple!

belinda

Love, love Boden..I use mini-Boden a lot for the little 'uns in my family.
Big Cath Kidston fan too..anyone else?
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Belinda,Nicky et al

I have just ordered several tunics from Boden - 15% discount and free P&P + Returns offer with Sunday Times and I am just about to do the same from the White Stuff catalogue that my frind has just given me. At least I can try things on at home and send them back if not okay - effortless really !!!! The kick of spending and trying on but......

PS. I was 50 at Christmas but I am a Sagittarian.

Sue xx

belinda

AnneS...Have a very Happy Birthday tomorrow!...xxxxx

belinda

Oh you have all been doing some lovely splurging..I love Monsoon..I've bought lots of boho type bracelets to divert attention from my general overall podginess ditto red lippy gloss and hippie dippie Accessorize scarves.
Susie we spend lots of time standing without necessarily walking so personally I think everyone should have a pair of raspberry suede shoes at hand for this very purpose. It would be foolish not to. 🙂
Another Piscean Nicky 🙂 ..I had my 50th last year.
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Excellent! I am so glad that I am not the only one who can no longer fasten their usual trousers and are resorting to leggings and jumpers/tunics etc. I wore leggings first time around so I am really committing a cardinal sin but who cares - pass the chocolates, ooops, ate them all last night! Chemo tomorrow so will sleep not eat most of next week, maybe the trousers will fit again.......ho hum.....

Maybe we should set up our own eBay shop so that we can swap things for a minimal amount or the cost of postage? We could then have the satisfaction of buying but without the big expense and still have the pleasure of gazing at things in our wardrobes? I have a beautiful pair of raspberry suede high hells and matching bag - worn once for a wedding last September! Providing I just stand in them, not walk, I am fine !!!!!! I am the one holding the wall up knocking back the G & T!!!!!

Sue xx

nicky08
Community Champion

How fantastic - this thread has started up again! I was only thinking about it the other day and yesterday, when OH and I were in Windsor I saw a lovely pair of pink suede high heeled slingbacks that were sooo lovely and they did immediately make me think of our Debs! How spooky was that? Anyway, I avoided their gormless purchase but hinted to OH that they would be a nice birthday present! Yes, Pisceans are lovely people 😉 Not a big one for me this year and just hoping I do get to my next big one in a couple of years. Happy Birthday to all of the birthday girls, especially for the 'biggies'
Now onto more gormless stuff. I went shopping this week for a Valentine's present for OH and what leapt into my bag? A pair of (expensive, oops) trousers, a pair of black boots (for next winter) and a pair of high heeled black evening shoes (for when I next 'need' them). Fairly successful then, oh and some chocolate for OH! Mind you I saved a fortune as the boots and shoes were in LK Bennets sale, so that was OK!
As to leggings, I also think 'Max Wall' having got chunky thighs myself, but have got away with some ski pants and tunic tops this winter and had a few compliments plus the combo is very comfortable. You go for it Anne and good luck strutting your funky stuff down the catwalk!
Happy shopping ladies.
Nicky x

AnneS

Thanks Julie, you certainly are right about the age!! I got lots of lovely compliments from the other models in the BCC Cardiff Fashion show at the fitting day last week about wearing leggings and short dresses so I'm really going for it at the moment in case I suddenly age after reaching 40!! I'm making up for missing out the real girly stage in my life so am making up for it now and it's nice because I'm truly doing it for me and not to please anybody else!! xx

juliet66

Well done Anne.

I had a bit of a splurge in Monsoon. Too fat for their lovely dresses but got a lovely silk top and 2 sets of jewellery, you just never know how the mood will take you!!

Keep going Anne, you are only 40 once (i am right about the age aren't i )?

julie x

AnneS

Well, I've just come back from a lovely day out to Bath - where I wasn't supposed to be buying anything - just looking and mainly going to the theatre but somehow I've come back with 2 beautiful Monsoon dresses (was only intending to get one but both were so nice and my friend persuaded me!!),2 pairs of mad tights (not sure what I'm going to wear the red and brown flowered ones with but liked them!!and 2 pairs of huge blingy earrings (bigger than I've ever one and very glam and in your face which never used to be me until secondaries and becoming suddenly single after 11 years!!),6 bangles!!(they came together but not sure why I need 6 but they are gorg!!)
I'd already overspent on my credit card for this month due to all my birthday celebrations and have plenty of dresses to wear for my birthday but just had to have these new ones!!! x

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm a big fan of the jeggings/jumper or long top combo (covers a multitude of sins), and have recently purchased a wide hip belt from Next, its a black and brown leopard print design with a diamonte-type of buckle. It sits on my generous hips quite nicely and I feel quite trendy in it (but of course anyone who still uses the word trendy by definition cant be!).

Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

I can't make it work either - it just seems such a good idea at the time. Then I see some disgustingly lithe teenager and the cruel and horrid truth hits home big time.

Jacksy

How do you lot find leggings/long top combos that don't make you look pregnant?! It just doesn't work for me 😞
Jacquie x

Guest user
Not applicable

I kid you not but I contemplated a pack of mustard, lime green and post-it -note orange t-shirts when making the ill-fated shirt purchase...

Guest user
Not applicable

Brilliant to see this thread back! And - like you Nicky - must go off and do some "gormless" shoe shopping in honour of Debs. Have a 60th party to go to at the end of the month.

Kay x

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm on my way!!!!

belinda

Hi again Anne.. just down my high street, next door to the 'Could almost be Brad Pitt if you get a fleeting glimpse Lookey Likey' agency. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lookey Likey George Clooney agency Belinda - my strength is pouring back please tell us more!!!

Anne xx

belinda

Hi Nicky, yes I too think Debs would want us to get back into the gormless groove. Treggings are leggings with a 'trouserish' look. Umm sort of a tight trousers look. 🙂
Marilyn, best take driving licence as ID, our Val here has her birthday the day before. Glad you've seen the thread Val. Aren't Pisceans all lovely people. 🙂
Jenny..yes leggings are not befitting a 50 year old..well not this 50 year old but as one of my thighs weighs more than you I would think your leggings look rather super. But ''orange and grey must never be seen unless lime green is in between..''..a famous saying.
Anne..happy Spring shopping..I hope you get your strength back soon.
Lesley..I have contacted the Lookey Likey George Clooney agency..watch this space. 😉
Celeste..where are you?

Guest user
Not applicable

belinda, what on earth are treggings?
So nice to see this thread again. I think Debs would approve and I think I might have to go shoe shopping in her honour.
love to everyone, nickyx

Guest user
Not applicable

Yessssss, treggings (trouser-ish leggings) are so wonderful, and I think at least a little bit gormless. But they don't look too weird, or too Max Wall.
Val -- do hope you'll be as tastefully done up for your birthday as I will in my silver-sequinned All-Stars. And Belinda, can't wait for our "twinnie" birthday -- D. and friends are taking me for the "pensioners' special" lunch at our local fish restaurant. Mmmmmm . . . fish, chips, peas, (white) bread & butter, cups of sweet tea. Hope they ask me for ID . . . .
Marilyn x

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done for resurrecting this thread loved it first time round and hope to contribute this time. Got loads of vouchers for xmas so as soon as I get the strengh after last chemo in March - going shopping. Will keep you posted but leggings sounds brill!!

Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm just so delighted to read about leggings. Does this mean they are gormless or not?? I've bought some but daren't wear them now, as thought they were not befitting a 50 year old. And must take the orange and grey (yes, orange and grey) shirt back this morning. It is not only truly gormless, but tasteless to boot.

I don't suppose you lot are aware but Marilyn and Belinda are birthday twins (ha ha, girls, sorry for dropping you in it...)

Jenny xx

scottishlass

Hello all, I have been shopping today too.....Marif and I will both be celebrating our 60th this month so we need to look good don't we?....Hope everyone is doing ok....I am also celebrating the fact that I have been living with Bc for 21 years....11 years of them with bone mets.....and proving that doctor wrong who told me I had only a 50% chance of surviving 2 years.....that was way back in 2000......love to you all on ths thread....sorry I havent been on it before now. Love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Leggings are just so comfy - I remember this from first time around, about 20 years ago, but they're just stretchy and accommodating, lol ...

I will try to keep you posted if I end up anywhere 'unsuitable'

I just hope that wherever I end up on my birthday there will be a George Clooney lookalike to prop me up .....

belinda

Hi Julie..good to hear you have been making lots of purchases.
:-)..xx
Oh snap Lesley..I've been buying some leggings with long tops. I could now take my A level in knowledge of treggings and jeggings.
Hope the DRUNKEN celebrations go well...sounds as though you could end up in a club but might not remember it the next morning.
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Belinda, I remember being asked my age in a pub on my 25th birthday! Sadly I'm 50 in April and don't expect this to happen again 😞

I'm planning a drunken birthday night out in a restaurant with close friends - but probably will give the clubbing a miss - think I'd be terrified to set foot in a club to be honest! Not too old to be badly behaved and hungover though ....

Have bought a lot of leggings and long tunic tops lately, does this count as gormless?

xxx

juliet66

Hi Belinda x

juliet66

Lovely to see the thread.

I have made so many gormless purchases, dont know where to start.
Put it this way, have spent most of my ill health retirement commuted pension (wasnt that much)..... Julie xxx

belinda

Thank you Marilyn..lets all be gormless again. The footwear sound very glam and very you.
Lesley, I look forward to tales of you being asked your age whilst clubbing, buying alcohol etc in the future.
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Sound fab to me Marilyn!!! And have a lovely birthday! xx

Have spent a fortune this week on some very expensive wrinkle prevention treatments - I am planning on being here for long enough for these to have FULL effect xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Bump -- Yes Belinda (on another thread), it's about time we resurrected this thread!!!
So I'll start: silver-sequinned Converse all-stars, to wear on my 60th birthday later this month. Of course they're tasteful . . .
Marilyn x

belinda

Hi ripley, I just read your other post. I'm so sorry to hear you are having such tough times..Good Luck with Vinorelbine, I hope it works well and in the meantime you spend away.
I spent a fortune on Christmas wrapping last week, (John Lewis) loads of pretty coloured tissue paper, ribbons, twine..it was lovely.
x

Guest user
Not applicable

These steroids are murder for my internet shopping and credit card! Someone stop me!

nicky08
Community Champion

Oh, what a disappointment, tickets to stars like Elton are like golddust to get hold of, I hope they are giving refunds or arranging an alternative date. However I am surprised you are so harsh on Elt - after all he has got the more virulent strain of swine flu - man flu. As yet there is not a possibility of a vaccine and I hear that the only way to relieve the symptoms is to be waited on hand and foot for at least a week. Only then is it possible to recover from such an awful illness 😉
Nicky x

belinda

Oh no LJ..I'm sorry to hear this..what a shame. 😞 x