1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

scottishlass

Re: Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

You will need it when you buy your Eriba!

Guest user
Not applicable

Gormless stuff this week
£250 worth of Ikea tat for my daughter's bedroom to replace the 6 bin liners of tat that went to cancer research
A pair of Asda FitFLops for my Xeloda feet that I can't wear because the thong bit hurts (so another pair of cast-off shoes for my daughter)
BBQ with my Tesco vouchers though whether I get to use it this summer is anyone's guess!
vercors

I can't find anything either on this site, I just googled it !

scottishlass

Thanks velcors.....but whre did you find it? Under which section? i have looked for it for ages today! Thank you so much.
Alesta, I see you have already posted on this after all that!
But going to bump up this thread as it has given many smiles on my face.
Have any of you beed Gormless recently?
I have had a HUGE clearout of my clothes, trousers, jackets, skirts and tops. They are ready to go to the charity shop and are in the boot of the car. next it is the shoes and books to clear out. Reason? So I can go out and buy more of course and behave Gormlessly! Val

vercors

Here you are Val. I hope it is the one you are looking for.

scottishlass

Julie, Now there is something I have not thought about....yet! Mmmmmm!

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Val, I so identify with clothes disappearing - and my daughters are only 13 and 17 yet. And of course everything they "borrow" looks so much better on them too!
We had a new kitchen sink at Christmas - desperately needed as the horrid old plastic one was becoming impossible to get clean. In the end, my kind Mum bought it for us as a Christmas present, so we then spent the money we had for the sink on a waste disposal unit which is fabulous and saves so many visits to the brown bin outside. Just fancy one of those boiling water tap thingys now..... (dream on I think).
Love to all,
Julie
scottishlass

Confessions Marif, Still not made the bread although I do have ALL the ingredients AND the recipe book. Now my Oh has removed the oven as I am having a new hob fitted on Monday and the fitter is puting in. Now have 2 solid beech wood worktops in their packaging which we hope to have fitted after the new hob arrives as I need to source a competent carpenter to refit the worktops and I want a new sink now as the old was is knackered. Why is it when you buy one new oven that it leads to replacing so may other things! Not that I mind. Now the wall need a lick of paint....oh and the kitchen door is dull....just don't tell my husband what I have going on in my head!
Laurei good to see you posting again. I did all those jumble sale things ehen my kids were small. Gave them so much pleasure too. I remeber the younger one buying a bangle for me that had inlaid enamel for 10pence and it was too big for her so I wore it for years and years and it was admired too! I have managed to off load much of my kitchen duplicates to my daughters who are now grown up....and they are still "borrowing" from me. My daughter in France asked to "borrow" a favourite leather bag when she was over here last year. I now see she is using it in France! (I have told her since she can keep it!). When I returned from France earlier this year I hunted and hunted for a brand new long black cardy and coudn't find it anywhere. I looked in places that it couldn't possibly be either! Then I asked my YD if she had borrowed it. She would look. I kept asking and she returned it on Friday! But Mum you have got one like it already she said. Yes but I bought it and was looking for it. I think I need to buy a padlock for my wardrobe door. Only thing is the door to my "wardrobe" is off its hinges as my OH needs to do a repair job on it. AND NO I didn't kick it with frustration when hunting the missing cardy!
Love to you all, val

Guest user
Not applicable

Julie - silk rug? Now that really is gormless LOL!
I used to live in Iraq and Saudi and had a real carpet fetish. Now I just buy Crocs for sore feet!
My gormless buy of the week was a Kindle. Of course I don't need one as I have loads of books and like buying books but I justified it; I have scan results on Monday and if its all going bazoombas up with my liver, I'll be back on chemo so will need something to read in between throwing up / feeling rubbish etc. Of course if it's all good news, I will need something light and portable to take into hospital to read after my BMX.
It's a sad day when I'm hoping I can have a MX LOL! This disease is so weird!
Val / Marilf - love that clear-out feeling too. We have a big garage sale in our village next week so am sorting stuff out for that over the weekend. I say garage sale but mostly it's tat redistribution as once the kids have sold their stuff, they bring back a load they have bought from their friends...
Have a lovely sunny weekend (hopes)
Laurie x
Guest user
Not applicable

Yes, Val - I also wish we weren't so far apart geographically, and looking forward to seeing a lovely pic of you! And I too love the hairy bikers and their "bakeation" programmes - which bread are you making? All the loaves they showed were lovely.

Julie - silk rug sounds fantastic for Xeloda feet, and I bet it's beautiful to look at too - very much contributing to quality of life! Hope to see you when you're next "here".

xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Val. Marilyn and all,
I'm there at the moment (Oman!), so no danger of freezing - went shopping again yesterday evening and it was 39 degrees then (having been 42 during the day).
Anyway, have found a super gormless way of relieving my poor Xeloda battered feet - no more relying on Birkenstocks or Fitflops - went and bought a 9 ft x 6 ft silk rug last night: blissfully smooth and, yes, silky underfoot, and looks fab into the bargain!
Love to all,
Julie x
scottishlass

Hi Marif, Would only be too glad to help.....shame I am so far away! haha
It is so good to be able to speak to friends again. I am managing a bit better round the site. I must try to get a photo so that you can see me instead of my usual picture of my foxglove. Had to cover all the plants tonight wit an old dust sheet ans it it FREEZING cold and expect frost tonight. A month ago I was sitting outside in the evening in France in a sleeveless top. was thai it! was that al the summer se are going to have? have a lazy Sunday. I plan to make bread with a new recipe from thr Hairy Biker's new book while they went round Europe. Love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Val - when can you come to my very disorganised house and do your magic on all my things? I'm a bit OCD too about some things, but unfortunately being messy seems to be the stronger imperative for me!

Hi Julie - new tv/entertainment system sounds wonderful - are you here or there at the moment?

xx
scottishlass

Tell me about it. My daughter recently took an old huge Tv to the rubbish dump. AS they put it in the shed designated for old Tvs she spotted a huge flat screen TV that had been dumped earlier. She took it home, it didn't work so she had a look at it. fixed the wiring and hey presto she has a better Tv than any of the family! Perhaps I should ask her to return the small flat screen we let her "borrow" so she could lie in bed to watch Tv. But where would I put it. We have 2 already. To be honest I have looked at the more modern flat sceened TVs in J Lewis(my husband is always looking, I just do not care!.... but I do not think the picture is as clear if you sit to one side of the sceen. You seem to have to sit dead centre. Or am I wrong? My dad has just bought another TV for his bedroom as he cannot sleep some night. He is 87....what a sweetie. Love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Well after years of frugality in the TV department - how many other people have just one TV in their house, and that one as deep as it is wide and weighing a ton - we splashed out today on a state of the art smart 3D LED TV and blu-ray player even though a) we have no blu ray discs, and b) our DVD player won't play 3D! Feel a visit to Amazon coming on (other DVD suppliers are available.......)
Julie x
scottishlass

Good to be able to speak to you Marif. My current troube is that I want to have a clear out but I have lost weight and gone down a dress size, Well I say dress size but I seldome wear a dress! I like the new me. I feel better in the clothes I am wearing. But I think I do noeed to sort out my stuff as I have far too much. The good opoint is I am very organised and have clothes in ( Labled!) boxes and everything in my old wardrobe is in perfect order....well almost perfect, until I cannot find something that is! I even have a wicker basket for scarves and smaller boxes for tights/socks and one for vest tops. If anyone asked me for a specific idem I coud probably go to the exact spot. Now I can that gormless!
The same is in my kitchen cupboards and my daughter tells me I have OCD! But I find it so exhausting hunting for things that when the exhaustion crept in I needed to make things easier for myself. But once it is done it saves time in the long run.
I hope you are well. I am stil on Xeloda and the samller dose is working well for me. I have a bit of a sore tongue but not sure if it is the chemo or the horrid cold I have had. I have been sucking throat sweeties but have stopped now and am using Diflam again. My TM's were done in January before I started chemo and have now halved which makes doing the chemo a bit easier. Keep well and keep posting. I am at a loss with this site right now and even if you have replied to someone it doesn't show up on the first page. love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Val - chemise tops, eh? While they don't sound terribly gormless in themselves, I guess buying many for daughters and then for you again too might make the grade!
I had a grand clear-out of my wardrobe a few weeks ago, throwing out (recycling) unspeakably old, unwearable too-big/small & tatty items, so - in the interests of being dressed to go outdoors - had to replace said items with new ones, especially t-shirts. Maybe not gormless either. But at least I'm trying to keep this thread going.
Also missing Sally & Sue.
M x♥x
scottishlass

Well just posting on here to see if we can get this thread up and going again.
That is the part I miss from the new thread. I cannot possibly remember all the names of the threads I used to read from my "saved threads". Not so great when you are old and grey (blonde actually!) like me.
Bought myself a chemise tyoe top that I loved. Foolishly I showed it to my daughter. I then bought her one, Then had to buy my other daughter one...to keep things easier....and another one for me too. Not such a good buy after all!
I miss Sue and Sally adding to our Gormless threads. Not forgotten ladies. Not forgotton.
Love to you all, Val

scottishlass

Not been at shops so nothing to add but just wanted to say I loved all your posts. Keep being gormless. Val

nicky08
Community Champion

Hmmmm Liz, I'm not sure that your bras count as gormless but if they do the job then that's brill 🙂
Well I had my 50th birthday the other week and absolutely none of the purchases count as gormless of course 😉 A bit of retail therapy in NYC is just as good as hormone therapy in my eyes, with less side effects LOL So what if I got a pink handbag and pink purse (nothing to do with BC either!), I'm embracing 'brights'.
Nicky xx

lizcat

Was going to add to this thread the other day but kept forgetting to look it up (blame the mets!).

About 2 months ago I ended up buying 6 mx bras from M&S online and for once they seemed to be quite a good fit - I had left mx but no recon 4 yrs ago. Nothing odd there you may think until I say that I was booked in for a mx on my 'good' side mid-March (at my request not through any bc doubts).....

Anyway, my fuzzy logic was that once my new scar had healed, I would be able to get matching prosthesis and give me a good, even shape under clothes. Whilst having my seroma drained yesterday, I asked about new prosthesis, had taken one of the said bras with me just in case(!!) and the bcn sorted me out with new prosthesis and new softies for in-between times. I'm delighted. Actually, I am saving money in the long run as I don't need to buy new clothes cos they fit over the M&S bras. Perhaps not so gormless after all !!!

Liz

Guest user
Not applicable

New to this thread and have enjoyed all your tales of gormless shopping. I work out my finances on paper but they never work out over the month. Today I bought a Breville health fryer. Well it was half price! Then on to M&S cos I'm starting chemo again on Friday and I had to have new pyjamas, dressing gown and slippers - just in case I need to be admitted. Nothing like to going to Primark. It had to be the most expensive I could find. And as for wool, every time I see knitting wool I have to buy some. Then I sort it into bags when i get home and it all sits on the top shelf in my cupboard. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does these kind of things. I can tell my partner now it's the secondaries that do it!

Regards to all.

Guest user
Not applicable

I can also report gormless shopping before Christmas. I bought beautiful wool and, (yes Clare) more knitting needles, including a circular one, all with the aim of knitting presents for friends and family for Christmas.....everything is still in the bag, I haven't even got it out to look at it! Shameful! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes, they do have some lovely things on their site. I haven't looked for a while but I will! Thanks for the reminder.

Guest user
Not applicable

Gudrun Sjoden - one of my fave websites and really fab, colourful clothes. Def check it out Clare!

scottishlass

Like the clothes cromercrab. Never heard of them before.

Guest user
Not applicable

I am addicted to a clothing sit called gudren sjoden. Lovely lovely clothes all at the click of a button. There would be loads for you to like there Clare xxxxxx

lizcat

Sue - I'm there!!! Have a credit voucher for M&S that needs spending within a year but don't want to risk losing it....xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning 🐵

I need some directional shopping, may have to try on millions to get me to look like Julia Roberts, so a dress, hide the fact my legs are like elephants and I look about 10 months pregnant.

I do not need wrinckle cream as my face is so blown up, it has no wrinckles..........so perhaps the people that see me have to be gormless and me just disillusional 🐵

Clare xxx

nicky08
Community Champion

It was worrying to see that none of us had made any gormless, or other come to that, purchases since Liz (I think) posted in October. No wonder the economy was in such a mess. But we've produced good results in the last few days, so good that on the News last night they said Manufacturing was 'up' for the first time in ages 😉 I think the areas of inflatable kayaks, 300 thread count duvet covers and cargo pants were mainly responsible for this 😉 with a special mention for thrifty spending in Scotland.
Hi Sue, ooh yes, been right clicking at Boden as well but managed to do it in their Winter sale, picked up 4 dresses at knock down prices. Now just need reasons, or excuses, to wear them.
Thanks to Julie also for pointing out the underlying, or plain obvious, humour in this thread to any newcomers shocked at our wantoness 😉
Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Great to see this thread back up and running, just what I need to spur me into action....I haven't had a good gormless shop since in London with Liz in October...too long. I agree with everything....nothing like lovely 300 thread count bed stuff and yes, I do need new pillows too! I know someone who has an inflatable kayack and it's brilliant, every home should have at least one!!!

As I haven't been to the shops much I have been making up for it with on-line shopping....have you seen the gorgeous dresses in the Boden catalogue fork this summer????? I have been doing a lot of right clicking!!!!

I can definitely feel a Manchester shopping trip on the horizon....Liz? how are you fixed???

xx

lizcat

Val - well done on saving the UK economy single-handedly! You do seem to find the most brill bargains and that comes from me who loves a good deal and whose OH can't walk past a skip without seeing if there is anything-that-may-come-in-handy-one-day lurking inside!

Too true about living and enjoying life while you can as I think we all understand, especially at the moment.

Marilf - there's always the M'cr Ship Canal for the kayak....

Liz x

scottishlass

Well I love gormless shopping and even better I love a bargain. I recently saw a lovely shirt/blouse in Marks and S but decided on my limited budget that I didn't want to pay £25 or whatever it was. Went to Cancer Research yesterday and same blouse with label still attached for £4.50. bargain or what!
My daughter told me that Tesco had end of sale bargains and she got 5 pairs of high heeled shoes ranging from £1 to £3. I was in another store days later and there were only 2 pairs left but in her size, ballet pumps, £1 each!
I have been reading a lot and set over the good ones to my daughter overseas. Not seen any new books in my usual charity shops but went in yesterday and bought 5 books that I was planning to buy, some generous person had handed in....all at £1.60 each and all new editions. Oh I love a bargain.
Now my Oh has booked a short break abroad for us to visit our daughter for a short break in a few weeks time. Doesn't fit in with my chemo plans but hey ho you got to live and enjoy life while you can. The chemo will just have to wait! Love to all, Val

Guest user
Not applicable

OK, I want a kayak! Even though I live near Manchester, which is nowhere near anywhere you can use one, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get into it anyway. But I'd settle for 300 duvet covers.

As my lounge looks like a remaindered wool shop/bag-lady's residence, no gormless wooly purchases recently, but did buy a watch that cost more than £10 (and wasn't made of rubber) for my birthday last week. Very gormless. And will be at the Trafford Centre for Cupcake Girls get-together on Monday, so all possibilities are there . . . xx

juliet66

Whoops Sadie. How much did that cost ??

julie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I receintly ordered 7 bananas on the supermarket internet shop - only to find it was 7 bunches of bananas!!! Anyone want one.......

Sadie Xx Xx

lizcat

Julie - ermmm, inflatable kayak???? Do tell. While you're at it, don't dig out the gazebo - go buy a new one, with my permission.

I haven't bought anything really gormless. A pair of Nordic walking poles but that's for my health and I've used them almost daily. Did order another pair that are for travelling as you can have them in to 3 pieces for the suitcase. Not gormless until you hear I haven't any hols arranged or planned yet....

Guest user
Not applicable

its so great to hear i am not the only out there buying things of use lol

i have been sitting at home looking at ebay an became addicted so easy to do , an have made it my quest to get a whole collection of blue nose friends ( tiddy little soft animals with believe it or not blue noses ) not sure of what use the whole collection is gonna be as there are 90 odd but sure the grandaughter will love them . an when i am done with them may find something else to collect lol xx happy shopping xx

an belinda love the pom pom kits could always crochet blankets to sew the pom poms on 🙂

love an hugs to all x

nicky08
Community Champion

That's more like it, I knew I'd flush you out sooner or later 😉
Well, Mum and I have just been into my local town and had a vist to Wilko's, a very odd obsession of mine. Didn't get much there but then went into a kitchen shop to get a pestle and mortar for YD's birthday, she's cooking mad. Found a fantastic one for Mum to give her, it's huge, big enough to grind an ox in. Struggled to get it home and daren't drop it or it will make a crater in the floor, just hope she likes it.
Did spot some plants in Wilko's that I have pointed out to Mum to get me for my birthday. Apple trees? No. Fruit bushes? No. Pinot Noir vine? Yes 😉 At their prices I might set up my own vineyard.
Nicky xx

belinda

Oh remembering the many thousands of pairs of cargo pants Julie has got me thinking.. pom-poms at the bottom of the legs?...tres chic I think..plus it would take a very long while and keep me out of mischief.
Sarah I have found you can never, ever have too many pairs of 4mm circulars!
I hear Harrods do some simply 'darling' shopping trolleys L!
Alesta..all the bits of material and wool..I'm thinking knitted Kayak?

Guest user
Not applicable

LOL Juliet

Sorry but Inflatable Kayak - I have to ask!

I was tempted into the 300 thread count duvet cover after I spent a weekend at a friends house who had the most fantastic linens on her bed. And the most amazing hotel-pillow. I am now on a quest to find the holy grail of pillows since I expect that at some point (far, far into the future I hope) I will be spending a lot of time in bed.

Lucinda - Poundland - love the concept but it doesn't thrill me. However the 'magic middle isle of discovery' in Aldi / Lidl - now that's exciting!

Belinda - Pom Pom kits - fab! I usually drag my daughter to the knitting and stitching show at the NEC and have been know to come back with all sorts of goodies (plus the stuff I keep in the car to smuggle in later when OH isn't around!) I have however come to the conclusion that even if I lived to 100, I wouldn't be able to use up all the bits of material / wool etc I have squirreled over the years ;-0

Guest user
Not applicable

Why do I find I have multiple sets of circular needles? I was rummaging through my stash of yarn intending to make a little cricket slipover for my friends 3 month old, when I discovered 6 YES 6 sets of the same size circular needles. Perhaps I was fearing a world shortage..... By the way, young sir has now got a mulberry coloured slipover in merino/silk blend. Uber posh

X Sarah

juliet66

I only mentioned this thread on live chat on Tuesday. I said it was about time it was resurrected. Coping with some stuff has made me go into overdrive after some very frugal and sensible months. Plus it is about the time of the year for cargo pants ( Belinda knows, see previous).

I ordered an inflatable kayak.....MMM!! Common sense won over and I managed to cancel it. Dont ask.

I have also ordered some fancy new trainers for a meditation weekend. I have untouched ones. When I read about the 300 quilt covers I did think I had met someone after my own heart, until I read it properly. Well I dont quite have 300 but a lot ( and I have just bought a new one).
People who may be reading this thread for the first time....We are not rich, frivoulous (sp) or show offs. Secondaries have made us a bit daft in our habits, mainly buying things multiple times or of limited use and certainly un-needed for those with a secondary diagnosis.
Now I must dig out my pop up gazebo.....Julie xxx

lucinda

As it,s a recession I went into poundland for my envelopes,what a treasure trove of utter unwanted nonsence.purchased masses of useless kitchen gadgets to put in the kitchen draw with the rest of unused gadgets and then had to go to shop next door to purchase a shopping trolley as bag too heavy to carry to car.
Upgrading to Wilkinsons next week and working my way up to Harrods.
Keep helping out with the economy girls.

L xx

belinda

Oh dear I read that as you'd just bought 300 duvet covers alesta..was thinking way to go...! 🙂
What an UGGS bargain.
My latest gormless purchases..ummm they're all essentials but the latest are 2 of those pom-pom kits, much quicker than the olde fashioned cereal box cardboard method. May start a craze for pom-pom tea-towels, dishcloths etc... 😉
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm currently doing my little bit for the economy since I have had a 'terminal diagnosis' payout from a small pension I had. Unfortunately it's not going on the things I wanted (diamonds, furs, Ipads Dahlings!) but on a new boiler and paying off a couple of credit cards.

I have however recently purchased the following essential items from TX-Maxx (other discount stores are available!)

New shiny metal serving spoon
Can opener
Sharp paring knife (could do surgery with this one!)
Pair of reduced Superdry trousers for my son (only a tenner - I love a bargain)
Egyptian 300 count cotton duvet cover (like you get in hotels - except it is covered with dirty paw prints from animals!)

I did manage to sneak in a pair of UGGs off ebay (Usually £220 - got for £80 whooo hooo!)

nicky08
Community Champion

Well, no wonder the economy is in such a mess! What's going on ladies? I, for one, know that all is not lost and there are reinforcements out there helping the cause of secondary ladies everywhere. You know who you are 😉
So, any gormless stuff going on lately?
Nicky xx

lizcat

Belinda - yes, I do like to think I'm doing my bit to help the economy!!!

LesleyLP - anyone is welcome to join the retail therapy party

I did some Xmas wrapping yesterday!! Isn't that organised??? Thought it may qualify as gormless because it's so early but then a healthy friend said she's done almost all hers too so perhaps it's not as bad as I thought....

Liz

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and intend to spend the A.A. on some essentila thigs around the home as well as retail therapy!! Don't tell Dw and P about that bit!!.

Good luck to all of you when applying and stick to your guns if turned down.
Trash x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and intend to spend the A.A. on some essentila thigs around the home as well as retail therapy!! Don't tell Dw and P about that bit!!.

Good luck to all of you when applying and stick to your guns if turned down.
Trash x x