cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

Good news Trash and do not feel GUILTY! My GP gave me the form to fill in as soon as my Secondaries were diagnosed. I was still working at the time but was struggling to walk because of spine mets. Since then I have improved a lot but there are days when I feel lousy/v tired and I am grateful for the little extra it provides for me to enjoy myself. Go girl, get some help, rest up and look after yourself!

Sue xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks all of you for good wishes, A.A. certainly will make life easier, but, feeling a bit guilty at the moment as I feel ok and am coping with most things. Still suppose I have paid my taxes all my life, so will make good use of the money x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ooh, Rive Gauche, that takes me back about 20 years - loved it, might have to indulge to recreate some of my youth 🙂 Nothing wrong with Noel Gallagher either!

Your shopping spree sounds fab Sue and Liz, I want to play!!

I also have loads of pairs of glasses, mostly very cheap ones from Primark as I lose so many - I have been known to look for them when they are actually on my face, not even on top of my head, this surely must be truly gormless.

I can't spend frivolously at the moment as have had to take lots of time of work during this latest chemo regime, but have applied for my life insurance payout so just hoping that comes to fruition and then I will be contributing massively to this thread, I have no doubt 🙂 It's mainly so I can put everything 'straight' just for my own peace of mind and that of my girls, uni funds etc etc, but no doubt will be also treating us to a couple of nice weekend breaks and a bit of retail therapy as well. Has to be done!

Good news on the AA Trash, hope it makes life a bit easier

xx

belinda

Hee Sue and Liz the naughty step for you both...what spending!..hmm although you are doing your bit for the economy so actually well done ladies. 🙂 xx
Diamonds, false eyelashes, Go Girls! 🙂
In my book specs are not frivolous M...and if you are like me you can never have enough pairs..I still manage to look for them when they are perched on my head.
Me, this week, just rediscovered Rive Guache (v jealous of the Jo Malone purchases!) the great new Noel Gallagher album, (at my age?) and some balls of cashmere to knit some snuggly scarfs.
Good to hear your news Trash.
x

scottishlass

As I have posted on the other the other thread Trash, well done for getting your fully entitled Attendance Allowance. I hope you enjoy the benefit this will bring to you and make life a bit more comfortable for you. Enjoy! Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Good for you it's excellent therapy to have a spending spree and to#forget all your troubles.
So glad you have had a good time, put it all in the memory box

Heard to-day that i have been awarded At.ALl at full rate. Hope it doesn't mean tehy know some thing I don't !!
Trash x x

lizcat

Sue - thanks for confessing my sins!!!!! Minor detail missing though. You missed our M&S purchases although they have been more essential(?) ones.....perhaps???? And the small Hotel Chocolat purchases. Hope you wear your sparkly jumper tonight, having first of all stuck on your eyelashes, done your nails and hair, slathered on the Jo Malone body cream and finished it off with the scent.

I have been looking at buying a Wii console, wii fit game and board today in the interests of getting slightly active but not so that anyone can see me!!! Someone tell me they're bad for bone mets.

Liz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lizcat and I did a bit of gormless spending in London....we were accosted as we walked into House of Fraser and bought hair straighteners AND curler ones for Liz - I already have some that are perfectly alright but they offered discount for two.

Then I bought, and had stuck on, some false eyelashes so that I feel special when I am watching Strictly!!!!

Then we both bought some special hand cream and a nail buffer - yes, we got discount for buying 2!!!!! Gullible or what????????

Afternoon tea at Claridges (scrummy) was followed by yet more self indulgence in Jo Malone's - both of us bought perfume (no discount this time) and I got body cream too. Must put it all on and let hubby enjoy it before he sees the credit card bill!

Happy shopping ladies......xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh dear, Sue - you have such a lot on your mind at the moment, and then there's always "chemo-brain" to contend with as well . . . glad you got the ring home! xx

SueCheshire

How stupid was I yesterday, I left my drugs at Clatterbrige drove home 30miles. Clatt rang me but being a good girl I didn't listen to my messages till I got off the motorway. Had drive all the way back! So I didn't pick up the ring but I went to Trafford Centre this morning and I am now admiring it on the sofa!

Love
Sue x

SueCheshire

DLA wouldnt stretch to the diamond ring but my 'breakin' insurance has paid out so I'll be able to look at my ring while lying on the sofa watching TV....lol

Love
Sue xx

Hope I've got the energy to go and get it after my Clatterbridge visit tomorrow!

Guest user
Not applicable

Oooooh Sue!! That is exceptional "spending the DLA" activity! Just been to the TC (in all the wind, rain, hail, etc) to get my specs - jammed packed as usual, of course. Did briefly stop in at the Apple store to gaze at the new iPhone4S - now THAT would be the ultimate in gormless purchases! xx

SueCheshire

Marilyn
Your specs always look really nice, so go for it.

I need to go the Trafford centre to pick up my new diamond ring, I feel better than I did yesterday but can't be bothered to get off the sofa to go to TC. I will go tomorrow after the hospital.

Love
Sue x

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh no, not another pair of specs - how many pairs does one person (with only two eyes) need??? Gormless to buy them, and even more gormless to collect them today, during all this "weather" here ooooop north! x

scottishlass

that last bit should read the minus sign -

scottishlass

To enlarge any writing or to see photos better did you know that if you hold the ctrl button plus the + sign button you can make writing or photos bigger. To make smaller just press the _ sign along with the ctrl button. I am not clever .....my daughter showed me!

Guest user
Not applicable

Not sure if it's gormless but spending like there is no tomorrow! Just ordered new double glazed windows - 2 huge bays....aaaaargh! Just got bill for all the stuff we bought for daughter going to Uni plus accommodation costs for the whole year!!!!!!! Now just booked a skiing holiday........not got the money for any of it yet!!!! Time for a bar of chocolate then!

PS. LOve your new photo Val. I had to put my glasses on to check that it wasn't actually your bottom!!!!!

lucinda

Haven't had any shopping disasters this week but did manage to drive 20 miles along the A23,happily sinking along to the radio,before realising I was meant to be on the A26.Turned around at services and went back to starting point and got it right at the second attempt.

L xx

Guest user
Not applicable

How awful for you!
Really do hope bank gets everything sorted for you and you're not out of pocket......
What a horrid thing to happen.

Hackers intercepting phones!!!
It really does seem we're living in the world of Spooks already!

Val, I think that's very good advice.
May well follow your lead.....
Spreading my millions will be a good safeguard in these troubled times.....(millions of pennies more like!!!!)

scottishlass

Phew that is a relief. I recently moved money around to spread the load in these difficult times but I do nothing online or on my phone as I am too scared to. Glad it is sorted out for you. val

juliet66

Yes I have got it back already. The hackers intercepted my phone ( sounds like spooks) but i received a text to say money had been taken out. I phoned the bank straightaway.

They acted really quickly but it is very frightening.

scottishlass

Oh Julie, What happens now? Can you get all your money back?

We were visiting friends last week when the phone rang and it was his credit card checking up about his account. Someone had been using there card to buy stuff all over the place and in Belgium. But they will cover it for him as they confirmed that he couldn't be in Belgium and in his own house at the same time. The fraudsters were even racking up the pounds while the credit card people were on line to him. Frightening!

juliet66

Have just been moaning on live chat. It could be the end of my gormless spending. Had my bank account hacked and 2000 withdrawm ( online)....

Is this a sign ? Is it the end ?

Julie x

scottishlass

Well all seems to be quiet on the Gormless thread. Come on girls you must have been doing something gormless in the passed ten days. Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all,

Well I'm trying to be thrifty, making my own crab apply jelly for Christmas BUT:

- I don't have a crab apple tree, so had to drive 1/2 hour each way to collect them from a kind freecycler
- I don't have a jelly bag, or enough old jam jars, so had to put in an order from Lakeland, and why buy jam jars when you can get lovely French "le parfait" jars for only 2 or 3 times the cost?
- and then of course Lakeland have all these other essential jelly making extras that I had to buy too, like 2 light up glass Christmas trees?????

Anyway, first batch of my super expensive jelly is half made, and will be dripping through the jelly bag overnight!

Julie x

scottishlass

Hi Ladies, Was coming to the end of my latest book so popped into my local shop to see if anything caught my eye. No I didn't buy one I ended up with 7. I am so glad to be in the land of gormless again! I am feeling disappointed as our flight to Bordeaux which was bought and paid for is not happening as I feel I am not well enough to go on my holiday. My ED ( elder daughter) is disappointed too but if all goes well we hope to go over later and have a few weeks there. My YD (my baby) will be 29 tomorrow. How is this for an original part of her birthday....OH bought her an annual TV licence! Gosh is he becoming gormless too! Love to all. Hope I make it through Thursday without hopping on the plane1 Love Val

scottishlass

Anyone been gormless this week? I have been behaving myself but need some ideas on what I can spend some money on myself. Any good suggestions.....I want to remain gormless but have been housebound for a wee while. Hoping to do some retail therapy and to do something gormless to keep up with you all!. Val XX

nicky08
Community Champion

How nice to see this thread back in the 'Latest Posts' page 🙂 Hi to All Gormless Ones.
Jeans - yes me too. Two pairs of jeans bought last week, identical except for the length so I can wear them with flats or boots (when the weather really closes in) - not so gormless after all eh? Plus, plus they were a size smaller than I usually get - so I had to have them! I think it's the manufacturers that have gone gormless, there's no way am I that size.
Nicky x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Val - hope you're recovering well, and will soon be mobile enough to "get gormless" again! Yes, all three pairs of jeans came from one store, and all three fit differently (!), but in general, I think it's my body letting me down, rather than the clothing manufacturers . . . getting v. blobby again . . . oh dear, even without chocolate . . . xx

scottishlass

Hi Marif, I hate that about shopping these days. There was a time you could go to a shop and buy say a size 14 and you just know they would fit. Now even within the same shop different styles but the same size can vary so much. You cannot just rely on buying "your" size" any more. I have the same problem when buying new clothes for my Mum who is in a Nursing Home and often I have to take up the hems on trousers for her even although they are a short size. Shopping is fun when you are well but if not it makes shopping such a chore.I hope you have better luck tomorrow and can buy some that fit. Hugs, Val

Guest user
Not applicable

I was doing OK on the gormless front, then bought three pairs of black jeans today . . . fortunately, none actually fits me very well, so they're all going back. Double-gormless? xx

belinda

Hi Val, your fellow patient sounds interesting. I do love mundane fairy cakes. But I should get out more and be more daring. 🙂 You can be super gormless on your pc..I know I have been.
Hope you are out and about soon.
Hi Marilyn, I must admit I felt 'cleansed' after my de-clutter. Still have some stuff but I'm hoping to use the 'when buying something new throw something old out' rule.
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Val, sounds like a magic person you met in hospital - a real improvement on the usual "beige" we find there, but maybe not so easy to live with when you're feeling a bit poorly . . .

Belinda - can you come to ours and be our clutter-clear-out consultant? We are desperate here . . .

xx

scottishlass

Thanks for bringing the thread up again Belinda and I hope that you are well too. I haven't been gormless for a week or so as I have been in hospital having a hip op a week ago. But I am a bit housebound so just thinking up what gormless acts I can get up to when I get my freedom! I am a bit stir crazy but BP and HB both a bit low so having to be patient. I did meet the most amazing patient in hospital who was bald, gay, tattooed, on methadone, had been a lady of the night until she nearly got herself killed, had fairy caked in her drawer containing unusual substances, and got her cousins to come in for her to take her down for a smoke ( once at 11pm!) except the ciggies didn't just contain tobacco... and she came back giggling! My experience in hospital was certainly elightening if not exactly gormless! Thought I would just share this with you! Love Val

belinda

Just bringing this up again as it's been a sleeping thread for a little while...are you all like me now? Very sensible and only gormless on week days? Not gormless I 'spose but perhaps nutty..I had a clutter clear out..I was ruthless..too ruthless..had to buy a couple of copies of some paperbacks I'd donated to the charity shop..and I should never have thrown out 2 long black skirts, drab but versatile.

nicky08
Community Champion

Excellent response Val - not so gormless after all 😉
Nicky x

scottishlass

My turn to be Gormless. Habitat closing down. Lovely bright pink (easy to clean/flat) weighing scales. Do I need them. No. Did I buy them? Yes. Do I own scales that work? Yes. OH said what's wrong with the ones you have already? I asked him. How many lamps does one man need? ( see post above. Silence!!

scottishlass

Now my Gormlessness is not only affecting me but now my husband has it too! We both love lamps and radios. We bought an anglepoise lamp on Friday. Both thought it looked great. On Saturday he went out and bought not just one but another two! If any other grormless friends fancy ( 1 or 2 or 3!) TKMax is selling them at a very good price. In John Lewis they are £160. In my shop £49. I don't know if they are going bust ( sorry pun not intended!) but if you want one grab one while you can. Val X

Tournesol

One day at work recently I was getting ready to go home and couldn't find my house keys. After searching high and low for them I eventually found (thanks to a colleague's suggestion) that I had thrown them in the bin earlier that afternoon along with a banana skin. Another few minutes and the office cleaner would have taken out the bin bags and I would have been really stuck...

belinda

Thinking of Val's huge tent..I've brought a linen tunic from Monsoon which looks like a huge tent..still wearing it but it's also for hire..Glastonbury..wedding receptions etc. If you hire it a week early Nicky I'm afraid there are no refunds. x

scottishlass

Nicky, that made me smile. I have not done anything gormless recently ( that I know of that is!). But am sunning myself in France outside a huge tent. have been swimming today and am enjoying the wind-down. Love to all Gormless Girls. Val

nicky08
Community Champion

I went to visit a friend on Thursday and thought it odd that she didn't answer the door straight away. Anyway after a short delay she came downstairs, she's been having a leisurely bath which I thought a bit odd. Then it clicked - I was a WEEK early 😉 Gormless or what? No, don't answer that!
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

OH returned from work and asked a direct question 'how big will that grow', so I had to tell him, he looked a bit shocked and then said thats bigger than a block of flats.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Val,

If I can't control its growth I may have to live in it, not sure my persian cats would approve though, they don't like weather.

At the moment it looks like an attractive shrub, I have hidden the leaflet so OH won't suspect anything. If it gets too big I could always donate it to an arboretum.

I also purchased 3 peonies, 2 ferns, one hosta, a plant with interesting lilly pad like leaves, and a bulb that I can't remember the name of as I have never heard of or seen this plant before.

I also purchased my mum two hymalayen poppies, they are a lovely blue colour.

Alex

scottishlass

Tree looks interesting Alex. Looked it up on the web. Common name Dinosaur tree. Planning to build a tree house in it Alex??? I think it looks lovely but I have a tiny garden with too many tress in it already. A Lilac tree, a Rowan which has pale pink berries, small hazel tree ( gift from friend Evelyn) Silver birch which my dad and uncle bought and planted for me when we moved in ( now HUGE) a cherry tree, a plum tree, and a tiny Kilmarnock Willow. Don't think I have room for any more!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everybody,

I think I have just done something gormless. I have purchased a Wollemi Pine. Its a pre-historic variety and one of the rarest plants in the world so to do my bit to help the environment. Its also very attractive, evergreen and has leaves like a stegosaurs tail.

I have just read the pamphlet and looked at some photo's of it in its natural habitat and grows into a huge tree, makes the monkey puzzel tree look like to pot plant!! My garden is not that big so I think I will have to plant in a pot and then submerge it in order to try and stem its growth a bit.

Alex

belinda

How weird!...one of my sister's cats also sprayed her toaster a while ago.

sarah68

Hi S.A. and all!

Yes, that happened with our old cat - toasted cat's pee - what a smell!

Love, Sarahx

sweetanimo

Talking about smells - reminds me when my cat sprayed the toaster and then OH (who had a cold at the time) starting toasting a bagel - the smell was indescribable and he couldn't smell a thing! Should have just let him get on with it - LOL!
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Liz, your story is similar to my Mother-in-law's, she parked her car, went shopping, then walked home. Later that day she looked out and screamed to her husband that the car had been stolen! To make matters worse when she went to collect it, she had a £40 fine for overstaying the designated time!

Val I did the opposite with my washing recently - put it all straight in the dryer! My son's stinky rugby kit and my husband's cycling gear don't smell to good at the best of times...but gently warmed....YUCK!