1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

scottishlass

Re: Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

Put the bed linen in the wash this morning. Took it out to hang out on line. Hubby said " Its going to rain". So lifted it from table to put it in the tumble drier....but put it in the washing machine again by mistake.....and put it on! Well the sheets and pillowcases will be super clean! Gormless?

Guest user
Not applicable

my 14yr old unwrapped four raw sausages when sitting down for his packed lunch at school yesterday. well they were the same shape as the ham wraps i did mean to give him!(and both wrapped in foil) still not talking to me. alex xx

lizcat

My gem for the day. Left car in carpark at station before going for my checkup. Ages in clinic as waited for mamo results before seeing nurse so late out and would have had to wait over an hour for train home. Rang OH, he came and picked me up. Near home he went opposite way to expected. 'Where are we going?' I asked. 'To get the car', he said, 'you hadn't forgotten about it had you?' Whoops, it would appear the answer was yes!!! Oh well.....

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi!

I put cling film on the chicken pie not silver foil before it went in the oven!!! I put the pie in the oven (minding not to frizz the wig) nd luckily realised it did not look right before closing the door. Would have made an interesting topping, not quite organic though!!

Hugs to all

Sadie Xx Xx

nicky08
Community Champion

Know what you mean Poppet. OH and I have just had a lovely holiday abroad. Wrote out some postcards including one each to my daughters at uni. Posted them and, duhhhh, had forgotten to put eldest daughter's address on it. Oh well, maybe it will get to her - it did have her name on it 😉
Nicky x

belinda

Yes very good point Val 🙂 Hi poppet..I made a salad yesterday and went to put my collection of peelings etc into the tumble drier! The tumble drier is next to my pedal bin so 'spose at least I was close.
The tumble drier is also next to the fridge..think I've already mentioned here putting cheese in it not so long ago.

scottishlass

Look on the bright side. At least you put the letter in the envelope and remembered to post it!

Guest user
Not applicable

Just posted a letter with NO STAMP 😞

scottishlass

Bought 6 MORE trays of bedding plants today on the spur of the moment. I keep spending money in the garden centres but only popped into a co-op to get milk and bread and saw them.....cannot wait to plant them. Then we went into a new (to me) TKMax store in Dundee. What a great branch that is. Bought a pair of Birkenstocks. Have been looking for the style I wanted for weeks. I cannot wear backless ones or the ones like flip flops. So delighted with my find.
Then my husband and I went to St Andrew's, bought fish and chips, and sat watching the surf roll in while we ate them. Then walked along the coast down to the harbour and out along the harbour wall. A beautiful sunny afternoon and evening. Not exactly gormless but yet another pair of birkies to our JOINT collection Girls! Love to all Val

Guest user
Not applicable

lol I won't get cycling shorts to fit me 8-( Before chemo was thought of last summer I bought a bike. Never ridden before..ever! Just as i was getting into the swing of it chemo got me. Hoping to feel bouncy in a few weeks time when chemo will be over for a bit. I am now HUGE. Partly due to steroids and lack of exercise but also partly due to no willpower together with chocolate cake.
x sarah

juliet66

After a bit of googling, I realise that I am well aware of waterfall cardigans.

I just did not realise they were called 'waterfall'....duhhh

If you can get cycling shorts to fit you susie, I say you're not doing so bad !!

julie x

Guest user
Not applicable

I have finally given in and got some 'padded' cycling shorts!!! I look like something that's come out of the butchers....you know they sell them in strings??????????????????

I will just have to stay on the bike and go fast so no one notices. I do have some waterfall cardigans but I don't think I can cover up with one of those on the bike!

Sue x

belinda

Hi Julie!..oh so I'm the last but one person in the U.K. to discover waterfall cardigans? 🙂 If you 'google' they will come up but the cardis that have no buttons and just drape..(over my tum.)
Hope you are well..xx

juliet66

Red wine doesnt count though does it sweetanimo ?

I am reeling too Belinda, imagine how much I have spent !!!

What are waterfall cardigans ???

JUlie x

sweetanimo

Just spilled my red wine over my Slimming World books. This will take some explaining!
Xx

belinda

Not a gormless purchase..('cos I love it) but I bought a new (to me) perfume because I have Crocs on due to Capecitabine and I hate Crocs, moan, moan..and I wanted something girly.
Miss Dior Cherie L'Eau...oh it's lovely.
P.S. I'm still reeling from the number of cargo pants you have Julie.
P.P.S. I'm the last person in the U.K. to discover the waterfall style cardigans so have bought 5.

scottishlass

I keep losing things.....every day.....then they turn up....usually somewhere odd or where I have already looked.....just now it is my much loved head torch....I had it on holiday.....but so sure I have used it since I got home.....hey ho....

sweetanimo

My sister put milk in her vodka.... Now that's a real waste!! (She doesn't have BC BTW!!)
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi - I just got some ice out of the freezer to pop into a drink - but put it in the dog's biscuit bowl!! Mad!!

Sadie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Juliette what size are you. I need new cargo pants, cut offs for the summer. Do you want to re-cyle some?

DEsperatelt need to go shopping..... I have been 'weighting' for some steroid beely reduction before facing the changing room mirrors!!! Maybe I will just mail order?

Sue x

Mackers

Sweet animo... That's a classic

Does it beat me looking for my car for an hour at westfields to realise I'd come in my husbands and was looking for the wrong car!!! Xxx

Mackers

Hi

As you said tho you went back after dx, which is what I'm hoping to do....I'm 44 so can't retire yet... Hope your enjoying your free time now...

I see from ur posts you are being treated at Christies I used to live in Manchester and I know people being treated there at the moment and they say how fantastic it is...

I think work will give me back some focus, as I tend to spend my days going for treatments at the moment. As only dx 10 months ago. All very new, but I'm getting there, so many ladies like yourself who have been living with this for years, which is great and gives everyone else more hope..

Still doesn't get me out of the dungeons tomorrow tho ... Lol

Xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again Mackers -- yes, I did work for many years after my mets dx -- in a local regeneration management team -- but took early retirement in 2007 when the regeneration programme's funding ended. So I've been a happily retired person for four years now! xx

Mackers

Marilf,

Really impressed you still work I am going to give it a go!!! Don't know what happened to me used to be very confident... Going to Flippin london dungeons Tom mentioned it to my son and he's not forgotten!!!

Tried to write you a pm but can't do it from phone will send tomorrow...

Thanks again really good of you to pm me.

Xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Ive been overlooking this thread, very gormless as i think i can contribute frequently and enjoy reading and participating!!! S Xx

juliet66

Sorted out wardrobe and storage boxes under bed.
15 near identical pairs of cargo pants ( and I had just bought another pair).Mostly stone, an odd khaki and black.

Took new pair back (thoroughly ashamed).
Suitcase out the loft only to find another 8. Five white, pink, navy and lime green !!!

What is the matter with me? 23 pairs of near identical trousers.

(for pants read trousers)

sweetanimo

Poured fruit'n fibre into my mug this morning...

Guest user
Not applicable

OK, here's today's gormless shopping report: a lovely stripy cashmere jumper from M&S sale, v. v. cheap -- and just perfect for this warm weather . . . . oh, maybe for next winter . . . xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Haven't done anything gormless for a while, so am determined to rectify that today -- off to the shops! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mackers -- am sending you a PM. x

Mackers

Hi everyone,

Have been reading all your posts, I am trying to pluck up the nerve to go on holiday... Am going to a wedding in Manchester and that is stressing me out!!!.... Sure I'll get my confidence back and you all inspire me with your stories of going away.. Before I got dx I used to travel alot, which is why I find the whole subject a bit upsetting...

What is really worrying me even more is... If I can't go on a weeks holiday without panic setting in what am I going to do about work!!! I am due to go back to work in September and I want to do a couple of days a week as i think it will do me good I want to be "normal" (i am sure you know where im coming from!) again ...I'm 43 and worked all my life...so I think this would help me get back into a bit of a routine...

Have any of you ladies gone back to work?? If you have how are you finding it??

Lots of love
Tracy xxx

lizcat

Off to Mallorca, Val. The apartment we rent there has all mod-cons hence the hand luggage only. Frustrating about your case, especially as it was pricey. I have a couple I bought from Ebay that are lightweight and quite cheap (£10ish each)but they've been thrown around London, Rome and Paris so far and are still ok. It's almost as though they last longer when they don't get touched by baggage handlers!!

I'm not convinced about the spoons - 6 may have been passable but 12....still price was excellent!

Liz x

scottishlass

Off somewhere nice Liz. Have a great time. I went with hand luggage only to my daughters and still took things I didn't use! But she did have a washing machine if I wanted it but I just rinsed things out and hung them out on the line. The new case I took let water in and the inside zip broke. It was a pricey case so I took it back ( it had a 10 year guarantee) and got a refund. But it was a TINY case so am going to search for a slightly bigger (small) case.
I didn't buy anything new. Everything seemed so expensive. Not the fault of the Euro but the £ just isn't good just now.
I did buy 12 tiny wooden spoons for 2 euros but that cannot be classed as gormless at all! Love to all Gormless Girls. Val

lizcat

Well, I may have to contribute a little here.....

Some of the said ironed wrapping paper was used round my Easter pressie from Mum & Dad. Tempted though I was to iron it myself, I didn't!

The other day I recorded a programme for parents (they seem to be a feature here - perhaps I'm not really gormless after all). Instead of doing it to a dvd, I did it to my recorder's hard drive. Then thought I could transfer it to a dvd - new machine so got instructions out - and did it or so I thought. When I tried to check I had transferred it correctly, I found I'd forgotten to put a dvd in !! Then, I put one in and tried again. When checking this one after 2 hours, it wasn't a compatible one!! Finally, I got a new dvd out and tried again. 3rd time lucky!!!! And it worked on parents' player.

Am off on hols next and we are going for 2.5 weeks on hand luggage only. No shopping then. Until my friend suggested I pop in to Zara and shop as normal and post things home. Give the girl a medal.

Liz x

pumpkin69

Yes I have noticed i have been a bit gormless recently, I nearly put deisel in my car yesterday!! only realised at the last second before it started pumping, Phew!!

Starting to get a bit worried about how distracted I am and appear to have the memory of a goldfish!!

Pumpkin

scottishlass

HAS NO-ONE BEEN GORMLESS RECENTLY????????

lizcat

Spoke to my Mum today and she has used the said beautifully ironed paper already. The recipient also said what nice paper it was. I know I bought it cos I liked it but obviously others agree. Perhaps some will find it's way back to me!

Welsh girl - love the idea of putting the paper under the settee. Am afraid I would now put extra creases in it!!

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

I keep wrapping paper, ribbons & cellophane from flowers and bags that have had bottles in them. I re-use them for all sorts of things. The cellophane makes fancy toppings for my home made jam/marmalade togther with rafia from flowers. I can't bear to throw lovely ribbons and paper away - maybe I am mean too! I used to re-use envelopes at work as well!!!

Sue xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm afraid I'm with your Mum!
I can't resist an interesting piece of paper......
I say I'm keeping it to do collage and make cards but my studio is becoming rather full of piles of wrapping paper!!!
In my defence,I'm a good working class girl and my Mum always kept 'good' wrapping paper for the next wrapping session. She didn't iron it but put it under the settee so we would all sit on it and 'iron' out the creases in that way...
I put it down to her 'war' experiences... (Trying to make economies!)

Not sure what my excuse is??!!?
Maybe I'm just mean....

Welsh girl x

nicky08
Community Champion

Oh dear Liz - I must be your mother LOL. Ok so I didn't iron the paper but I did say -Ooh what nice paper, I'll keep that. Have a lovely day, love Mum xxxx

lizcat

My secondaries have made my mum go gormless.......

I gave her the Mother's Day pressie last week , neatly (for me!) wrapped in nice paper. She said 'Oooh what nice paper, I'll keep that' and carefully unwrapped it. She then said she would iron it. Yep, you read that right, iron the wrapping paper. She did it there and then as she had been ironing the bedding.

Honestly, she's not really bonkers !!!

Liz xx

belinda

Oh it's so easily done sweetanimo. 🙂
Not been particularly gormless lately. I bought a pretty little china dish in my local charity shop, just handy for some pot pourri, shells etc. In the shop, without my reading glasses, it looked as though it had an interesting mark on it. (I'm addicted to the Antique Roadshow.) On getting home it turned out to be a smudge. 🙂

sweetanimo

I once left my daughter in the Post Office!!

scottishlass

I tried one of those newer contraptions that my ladies use when wearing a sleek dress. It just pushed my fat bit lower and higher and the Michelin Man came to mind. I would much rather be comfortable that elegant yet hiding it all beneath a body shaper.
I once left my Da's dog tied to the railings of the Supermarket, got home, sad down for a coffee then suddenly thought....oh where's the dog....I found her where I had left her....but I never did it again. val

belinda

My Mum used to wear Playtex girdles..I remember the 'where's my girdle? Oh I have it on' ads when I was growing up. 🙂
Never saw the 'where's my girdle..oh it's in the oven..' one though. 🙂
Have a lovely holiday Val.
Nicky you must recycle the electricity usage meter..and then, by recycling, you are being kind to the planet. 🙂
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ah that's quite sweet Val, although I wouldn't get away with that, we have how just got one of those electricity usage meters, worse thing we ever got, my husband watches it more than the Telly and follows me round questioning my usage!! Belinda has given me an idea - the meter might find it's way into the dryer soon(oh no, not allowed that now, that lights up red on his monitor! Have to find it's way into the washing machine instead !

I do wish girdles would come back in fashion though, I'd love something reinforced to hold in all my treatment induced wobbly bits!
Have a great holiday Val, hope you get to see your daughter ( have you checked the destination on your booking too?) XX

scottishlass

That reminded me of a story from way back...We were at work talking about how long it took us to get ready for work in the morning. I was always running at the last minute often without much breakfast. The older lady I was talking to said she got up at six and had to put the oven on...I asked if she had a cooked breakfast in the morning...."Oh no" she said, "it is to warm up my girdle before I put it on" ! I still giggle when I think the picture it created.....

belinda

Mmmm yum. 🙂 In my defence the dryer was switched off at the time. 🙂 Can't possibly be my chemo brain just all these white rectangular appliances looking so very similar. x

Guest user
Not applicable

I think that would make a very nice cheese sauce, especially if you added cauliflower or broccoli . . . to the tumble dryer . . . xx

belinda

I have tried to put cheese in the tumble drier before. Easily done. 🙂