Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

nicky08
Community Champion

Re: Secondaries have made me go entirely gormless

Hey Liz
As long as you weren't trying to put things in either of them I think you will have got away with it 😉 Nothing worse than dirty washing in the fridge and eggs in the washing machine!
Nicky x

scottishlass

Yes Liz I got all the details, sorry I thought I had told you (memory poor). I have some lovely flowery Birkys that I love from previous hols so they are going into my hand luggage as I am wearing my new Rohan trainer/boots. I have feet problems so these are good too if I am on my feet all day.
The washing machine/fridge story rings bells with me. I often do similar things....but it just makes me chuckle now. Yes I will have 2 more days with my daughter so that is great. We booked it months and months ago and I must have written it in for the wrong day in the family diary. I keep making daft mistakes these days. Must try to concentrate....but I did manage to print off the booking forms OK so that is good. Bye for now. Love Val

lizcat

Does this mean you have a longer break Val??? Hope so. Enjoy yourself lots. Check out those Birkis - did you get the website details I pm'd you????

I did go to the fridge to empty the washing machine the other day. They are next to each other in my defence.

Liz x

scottishlass

Well today I have decided that I am must be classified as GORMLESS. What do you think?
I am going to France next Thursday so went on line to book in. Printed off the booking tickets to find that we are not going on Thursday as I had thought......but we are flying on TUESDAY! I know I have not been well and not coping with stuff as well as I used to but this beats it for me! So have been to the Bank and then bought plenty of Euros so that I can spend lots of money on my daughter and myself and be even more gormless. Am I now a fully paid up member of the unique Secondaries Gormless Club? Oh and I will have to look out my Birkenstocks, unless I buy more over there.... Love to all, you lovely ladies, love Val

scottishlass

And mine....hee hee!

Guest user
Not applicable

Ha Liz

That is what I need too a carpet cleaner ie. somone to do it for me though!!! I plan to borrow one from a friend as most of our floors are bare floorboards so it would be silly to buy one really!

If you run out of carpets you can come here and do mine!!!!!!

Sue x

lizcat

Confession - I liked the idea of a Vax carpet cleaner/hoover and found one direct from the manufacturers with £50 off, delivery included, a small bottle of cleaner and a 2 year guarantee so treated myself. Good reviews on Amazon too and Vax's price is the same as Amazon. I've obviously lost it getting excited by carpet cleaners and early confessions of spring-cleaning my wardrobe.....

Anyway, it arrived this morning so I've given it a quick blast and am exceedingly embarrassed by the amount of muck in the water. Wouldn't care but we do keep the place hoovered almost daily - honest. I'm so excited I may even do another bit this afternoon.....

They'll be along to take me away soon xx

scottishlass

Yet again my post has disappeared....lost in cyber space. Nicky your confusion made me chuckle...

Today I was about to take an immodium ( do not ask) at the same time I was answering a question for my husband....but insted of taking one pill....I swallowed all the pills in my pil dispenser that I was due to take at bedtime....the consequence is that I feel a little light headed....as if I had been drinking all day.....now I feel such a Twat....and presume you could call me rather gormless....as this lot of pills included a couple of morphine pills I certainly fell that way! XX

lizcat

Nicky,

Ha,ha,ha!!!! My bikini only comes out on hols where no-one knows me...much too frightening otherwise.

Speak Tues certainly - have zometa and zoladex that afternoon so will try to stay awake long enough to chat to my special friends!!!

xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Liz

Talk about gormless, I read your buy as 'bikinis' at first!!! I could go with the image of you strutting round the house in your new bikinis, but when I got to the bit about you leaving the house in them I had to do a double take! I then realised we were talking birkenstocks? such a relief! (it must have been the reference to 'swimming' that caused the confusion!)

I'm glad you had a nice trip down to London. Good Luck with your appointments this week, will speak Tuesday?

xx

lizcat

The gormless Birki buying has gone swimmingly well. The said items arrived very quickly from Germany and fit beautifully in my newly-sorted-out wardrobe. I've started wearing them around the house already and have worn one pair out the other day when the weather was nice. Summer was on it's way that day.

Otherwise, I've been a very good girl. Honest. Had a day trip to London yesterday to have my hair cut and meet my sister and only bought her birthday pressie for July and paid for my hair. Oh and bought a couple of cakes at a posh farmer's market type place for the train journey home. Long day but great to see sister.

I do have 2 hospital appointments and one zoladex this coming week so the PPHS may have to come into play.....

Hope you are all keeping as 'stable' as possible. Take that whatever way you want !!!!! xx

scottishlass

Well my daughter has moved into her own place so I don't need to clear out as the rooms are emptying all by themselves...I haven't been gormless for a while....did buy some Rohan walking boots/shoes which are really comfortable. How is the gormless buying Birky's doing? XX

scottishlass

Liz you lucky lady with tiny tiny feet. I often see smashing shoes this size in TK as a friend is a 3. My OH keeps buying bedlinen and curtains too! He picks up bargains from Ikea to John Lewis. The last cotton/linen curtains were only £8.
Now back to gormless....books....books....and more books. I now have to sneak them in. But Cookery books are my passion and also fiction. But have so many I could open my own library. My Things to do list is to clear out all my collections of stuff......so I can buy more of course!

lizcat

A girl can never have too many bags (or shoes, clothes, scarves, jewellery) and if they are for veg then they don't count cos that's practical. Love my bedlinen sets too and got another lot the other week in a very practical white jacquard weave. Goes a treat on my down duvet (4 of those too, all for me...) I may have a problem, hmmm

Val - I have emailed the Birkenstock site to Sue and I'm sure she'll forward it to you. I haven't had any of then from TK as they all seem too big for my size 3, narrow fit feet.

Liz x

juliet66

Marilyn,

Your bedding sounds delicious. I too have vast quantities of bedding. Seem to get bored very quickly, think its the amount of time I spend lolling around in bed !!

Birkenstocks always seem very nice on other people but I cant stand the sight of my feet ( or any other part of me tbh).

Now jewellery (preferably monsoon) is my one weakness ......and the rest!!

julie x

nicky08
Community Champion

Oh dear Val. If not completely gormless I think you are well on your way 😉 And definitely a fully paid up member of the bag lady club. My string bag is black but I do admire the bright ones.
Nicky xx

scottishlass

Whisper whisper...to Sue.....If Lizcat reveals her Birkenstocks source please pass it on. I love them too but usually pick them up in TKM if you know who I mean. Being Scottish I am always on the look out for a bargain! Comfort it essential to me.
My gormless buy recently is a bag mad of a tweed material but it only cost me £2 so is not really gormless.....but I do have too many bags! Last week I purchased a bright orange string bag....that I just had to buy. Am I becoming a bag lady?? I also bought a few months ago bags to store onions, potatoes and bread (not in the same bags silly) But I am beginning to wonder about this fascination for bags! Am I classed as gormless?

lizcat

Glad you had some zzzzzzz this afternoon Sue - you looked really shattered I have to say. Lunch was lovely though and I did enjoy it lots. The lambs in the field decided to have a sleep too when I went to take photos of them !!!

The Birkenstocks are cheaper from Germany and the site I've used has loads of choice in terms of sizes, styles, colours and width fittings. I may divulge the website address.....

I didn't mention the other 8 (used) pairs of said Birkenstocks from previous years that are under the bed, did I?? Not my fault they last for years.

Belinda - yes I am feeling better today thanks and the pain is not as bad as it was last week. Pills deffo helping and my appointment is on Thurs so nearly there !! It was the not getting out of bed that alarmed me. And lunch with Sue today helped a lot, of course!!!

Liz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Liz

You didn't tell me about this today!!!!!! I like Birkenstocks too. Are they cheaper direct from Germany? Do tell.

Sue x

PS. Yes, I have had a kip!

belinda

Hi Liz, hope you are feeling better today. Linen and birkies, my sort of gal. 🙂
Marilyn, can one ever have too many quilt covers? I think not.
My recent purchase, essential, OPI nail envy..for chemo nails.
xx

lizcat

3 pairs of Birkenstock sandals winging their way direct from Germany as we speak.....all ready for spring/summer, linen dress from M&S and sleeveless linen top from M&S. Oh, and prize items - vacuum storage bags with coat hangers. Love 'em and my wardrobe has so much more space for the above items...

PS - The PHS has been rechristened PPHS to cover all eventualities in my house. Pre and Post Hospital Shock. Like it????

Liz xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Can't resist reviving this thread! One bright floral quilt cover set + lime green fitted sheet -- desperate for Spring!!! (have quite a lot of quilt covers, though . . . )

Marilyn x

belinda

Hi Sue, yes I was definitely in the UK. Daughter and I are both having a scarf fixation at the moment. 🙂
I read at the beginning of her career Audrey Hepburn had one blouse, one skirt but a dozen scarves and she always looked amazing..not that I look anything like Audrey 🙂 but there's some beautiful scarves around at the mo..I've got some lovely Indian silk/cotton ones.
Roll on Spring!
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done Belinda, It was almost too cold up here to get undressed to try anything on! I am impressed you bought summer clothes I was struggling to imagine feeling warm enough to need them! Were you in this country? Are you sure?

Sue x

belinda

Hooray for Monsoon..a bag for summmer, 2 linen tunics, bit of jewellery and 3 scarves. 🙂
Have a lovely weekend all..xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Completed some further research today and got some smashing trousers that cope with my Sumo (steroid) belly with no muffin top!!!! They are just pull ons but lovely drapey fabric and opening into wide leg bottoms - very flattering. Boutght them in a blue/grey but may have to go back for a black, pair, a white pair, a taupe pair.......they don't have any other colours! Even better depending on how far you pull them up you don't need to shorten them. Yahoo! Trouble is I look a bit like Simon Callow in them!!!!!

Sue x

nicky08
Community Champion

Difficult to say Sue, I guess more research will be needed. Are you up to it? Silly question, of course you are 😉
Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

The more research the better is all I can say. I will be hitting the shops (there aren't many in Kendal) on Friday so that will be PHS day too. PHS seems to affect me differently from most people...I don't go very often but once I start I can't stop!!!!! I am not a little and often type it's a bit all or nothing for me. Does that sound like a mild or chronic case????

Sue x

lizcat

Sue, the shopping pre-hospital visit is actually still classed as post-previous-hospital visit......Don't use me as an excuse to go shopping !!!! Oh, perhaps you can and then I can do the same in reverse. And we must arrange to meet juliet66 and nicky65 soon and then we can all have an excuse.

I'm off to Chester for one night away tomorrow with OH so there may be some PHS as a hangover from all the visits this week. And there's always Cheshire Oaks on the way back (OH doesn't know that bit yet, hee, hee) and I've not been in years so need to check it out for research purposes.

Keep up with the therapy all.

Liz x

juliet66

Have to say, being a long time gormless girl.....in my case PHS has escalated into quite a debilitating condition (another one).
Having to fit it in and still get home in time for a sleep (before DD gets in)....Oh and to hide the bags from OH!!!

julie

Guest user
Not applicable

AS I didn't go shopping yesterday, too cold, I ordered from the internet. What do we call it when we shop just 'before' a visit to the hospital?

Sue xx

(PS. Wrap has some nice stuff and they have a sale on until Sunday!!!!!)

PPS. Will definitely have to up the anti on this as I can't keep meeting Lizcat for lunch if I don't have some new gear!!!!

nicky08
Community Champion

Absolutely Lesley, 3 weeks is quite the norm but I hear that severe cases take even longer to get over. Never mind, the only known cure is a treat but it sounds like we all know that anyway 🙂
Well done on your new hobby - I hear some people collect stamps or coins but yours sounds far more interesting and dare I say it useful ,hence it doesn't qualify under this topic heading, whereas I think stamps and coins do.
N x

Guest user
Not applicable

How long does PHS usually last? Mine seems to last for around three weeks after every four weekly Pamidronate appointment 🙂 - and that's not even a shock to the system any more - does this still qualify?

I'm currently on a mission to acquire the entire White Stuff collection in every colour - well, perhaps that's a slight exaggeration but I'm doing quite well. I fear that I have developed an addiction to the shop though, can't go into town without paying a visit now 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

PHS -- genius! Usually stop at the Trafford Centre after my appointments at Christie's, just to avoid the rush-hour traffic, of course . . .

Marilyn x

nicky08
Community Champion

I forgot to say how slow my internet is today - then I realised - it's Belinda's ironing still coming through 😉
Nicky x - off to Tesco to get one of my 5 a day 🙂

lizcat

Liking the new condition !!!! Will remember to use it in future linked with any family member and friend....

With you on the cream cake treat Belinda. If there is anything like a strawberry or other fruit on the top or inside, it goes towards your 5 a day.

Thanks a lot for that.

Liz x

belinda

Oh I must remember PHS. I used to pop into Waitrose on the way home from the hospital..if my markers had risen I'd treat myself to a cream cake..if my markers had decreased or stayed the same I'd celebrate by treating myself to a cream cake.
x

nicky08
Community Champion

Yes, Liz, any purchase after visiting a hospital is fully covered by PHS - Post Hospital Shock - so you can't be charged with any misdemeanour when you have this condition 😉 If the skirt police do come and get you I think you can also offer the Primark trousers as your defence.
Nicky x

belinda

Hi Nicky..I have sent you my ironing in the post. 🙂 Spring has to be arriving soon? I would just like some sunlight in this part of the UK.
Sorry to hear about your OH and Mum's health problems Liz. Of course you deserve a treat. I love Monsoon..I tend to (try!) to stick to smaller items, scarves and such but oh it's such a lovely shop.
Bet the skirt is gorgeous..and you will love wearing it so it will be well worth the money. 🙂

lizcat

I've confessed this to Sue already today. While my OH was at hospital having tests this morning, I strolled into town and walked around a bit and popped into Monsoon, a shop I never buy anything from cos I can't justify their non-sale prices for my retired lifestyle. Came out with a skirt for spring/summer (and every other day of the year for the next 5 yrs at the price) for £65 !!!!!!! Whoops - haven't shown it to OH yet but will have to hide price tag first. Mind you it's my dla money - have to look ok don't I??

This came off the back of purchasing 2 vest tops and 2 pairs of linen trousers in Primark yesterday and a silk top in M&S - all after OH had been at another hospital. And my Mum has just been in hospital quite ill but is out now so I have been to the hospitals every day for the last week with other people. I think I deserved a treat..... Justified?????

Liz x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Belinda
I had been working, only part time, all through my secondary dx , chemo, the lot. They were very supportive and great fun to work with so I was very lucky. However the company was bought out just before Christmas and my contract was ended -I was fully aware this was meant to happen as I'm married to the FD 😉 I then had a month off and really do enjoy doing nothing at all. However, for appearances I decided to decorate the kitchen and also start ironing OH's shirts. I then thought I ought to go back to work which is where I made my BIG MISTAKE. However OH is very supportive and quite happy that I don't work at all or for a while at least - I think it was the wardrobe full of ironed shirts that clinched the deal 🙂 So, yes, Spring beckons and I'm sure I can make myself look busy or useful around the house if I need to LOL
Nicky x

belinda

Thanks Sue..no hemming..oh lovely it almost sounds too good to be true..thank you I would love the details sometime. 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Belinda

I have found a shop that sells trousers that you just cut to the length required. Amazing!!!! No hemming needed or anything and a really lovely heavy drapey material so they look lovely! I was going back to the shop to buy some today but am holed up in the warm instead. I will let you know what make they are when I find out myself.

Sue x

belinda

Hi, Nicky I left work a while ago, I haven't ever regretted it and with Spring on the way look at all the garden time you could have.
Re tops, I have 9 linen tops that are all exactly the same style but various colours. I have such a time with trousers, I'm only 5 ft 3 so short are too short and medium are too long.
x

nicky08
Community Champion

Just quit my new job as life really is too short! Guess I won't be allowed near the shops for a while but, hey, there's always the internet 😉
Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Someone must have been doing some shopping and bought something they didn't need? I was all set to go out today and start buying a new wardrobe of clothes that I don't need and will get precious little chance to wear but........it's too damn cold!

Frustrated shopper!!!!

sweetanimo

Oooooh boots...!!! any leather goods really but have mainly a handbag/purse fetish going on and don't even speak to me about jewellery, I am drawn to it like a magnet and have far too many earrings, bracelets, necklaces - my family always come to me for their accessories! My sister has about two pairs of earrings and one of those I bought for her...

Really struggling with my 'worms' at the moment. Couldn't for the life of me remember the irish comedian presenter's name - see, have forgotten it again.... you know the gay funny one..? Keep calling the fridge the oven and I'm only taking Femara!

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

The Imelda Marcos obsession I confess is rather lost on me! Instead I buy tops, - they all look a bit similar, and I always wear them with the same spanish shoes, which sometimes I alternate with my Josef Seibels - why because they are both comfortable. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME! I desperately need trousers, and yet if I were to go out tomorrow to buy some I know I would come back with another top. That is really gormless

Guest user
Not applicable

How many pairs of boots??????????????

Black suede, purple suede, brown suede, brown leather long boots, brown leater short boots, boots for walking the dog, boots for fell walking, spare pair for in the van..................low heels, high heels (that I can't really wear anymore)...I like a pair of boots.

OH caught me looking at BOOTS!!!! on the Boden Sale page.......'Haven't you got enough boots?'

I can't buy clothes as I have steroid tummy, but my feet are the same size! Absolutely nothing to do with mince pies and chocolate!

Happy (shopping) Chrismas all.

Sue xx

nicky08
Community Champion

Thank you Marilyn for resurrecting this thread 🙂
Gormless or just dragged along with the rest of us to buy the Christmas Turkey - I'm not so sure 😉 Enjoy your veggies though!
Recently all my purchases have been very focused so I waivered too much away from my gormless side, however 'tis the Sales Season soon so who knows what that will bring. Prize for the most gormless sales purchase anyone?
Have a lovely Christmas one and all, ho, ho, ho
Nicky x