Secondary Breast Cancer

So…after going back and forward to my breast care team and my GP since August 2015, complaining of pain and pressure in my mastectomy site, I finally got diagnosed on the 8th March. (age55)  I had a total hip replacement on 17th February 2016, and the evening after my op, I was flat on my back in bed, and I was very sick, and one of the nurses thought I aspirated.  The next day I was due to have an xray of the hip to make sure everything was still where it should be, my consultant recommended I had a chest xray also incase I had aspirated.  This was when I was diagnosed with a plural effusion.

Further tests were carried out and I was told I had secondary cancer in both lungs, and plural efusion, and a large tumour on my heart :frowning:

I KNEW something wasnt right since August, and wish I had been more forceful for tests.  But hey ho, there’s no going back now.  I had 2.5 litres of fluid removed from my chest, which was a huge relief of pressure from my chest.

I have accepted my diagnosis, and am having palliative chemotherapy (Carboplatin), in an effort to try and slow things down a little. But with successful chemo, I still only have months left. 

I think because I knew all along that there was definately something wrong, I have been more accepting of my diagnosis.  My partner is struggling to come to terms with my diagnosis, and I am doing all I can to shelter him. 

My son is in Texas with his wife and my 2 grandchildren, and they are coming over here in 2 months to renew their wedding vows, and want to do it in a local Scottish Castle, so that has given me the boost and kick in the bum to keep my chin up an get on with it until they get here.,

I am staying as positive as I can, trying to keep things ‘normal’ as possible for as long as possible.  I am still at work, and my employers have been fantastic and very understanding.

I have had my first visit from my Macmilan Nurse who is lovely, and I felt at ease with her straight away.  So…my journey continues, we shall see what transpires…but I aint going without a fight!

Hiya Christina . I think we have all been guilty of neglecting signs … I was the same and neglected hip pain for over a year and put it down to old age but of course it was bone Mets
I don’t know what to say really but please visit this site and bone Mets thread as most of us hang around there as there are some lovely ladies with a huge amount of experience and support to help you through this terrible time.
I’m afraid apart from sending you huge hugs …I’m a complete numpty with medical knowledge !! Xx

Dear Christina what can I say you really are going through it. But I would like to say I admire your courage and spirit and the renewal of the wedding vowels for your son in a Scottish Castle will be something for you to look forward to. I really do wish you well that your chemotherapy will slow the tumour down.

We all find ourselves hoping treatments will keep the nasty disease from taking over and live life trying to grab what life we can. As Carolyn has said join us on bone mets it is the main thread but there are useful informative treatments and information in the Treatment and medical issues. But where ever you want to post please do continue to get your feelings out rant rave and scream we are all here for you. There are many ladies who offer good advice on here so don’t be afraid to let it out.

Sending you loads of ((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) and love xxx

Christinao…you had the same symptoms as me…I had masectomy and implant and chem and radio.on 2004…got remission and prayed it never came back.in 2013 didn’t feel like swimming or zumba had pressure on same site.went to hosp they said I cd have rhumatoid arthritis.was I relieved but it didn’t go away got pains in stomach went back different Dr gave me ct.i had in my bones everywhere.in my stomach lining.and now in my liver.iv had highs and lows. They told me three months without chemo…i went on capecitabine and it helped my bones and ned…it worked for about 15 months then I went on letrozole and got liver Mets now I’m on docetaxol.its all been palliative care but I’m still here fighting…look on bone Mets site.actually read them all its all informative written by real people who understand…take care look forward to the wedding.sharon.xx❤