Secondary Breast Cancer

I have just been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer. I was first diagnosed in July 2008 and have had a battle for the past four and half years, praying for five years to be clear this year. The past five months I have struggled being out of breath all the time, kept going to my doctors and telling them that I am constantly tired but to no avail. I was sent for an X-ray four weeks ago and the X-ray showed that my right lung was nearly full of fluid, so into hospital I went and 3.5 litres of fluid lighter I was given the news that breast cancer cells have been found in the pleura of my lung plus I have an enlarged lymph node behind my breast bone. I am finding acceptance so so difficult I know I have to accept what is happening to me. I think because the past four and half years have been full of one operation after another, I have had four operations to replace my breast implant, gall bladder removal, pancreatitis and infections. It’s certainly not been easy but I could see light at the end of the tunnel, how wrong. I am starting chemo on the 25th February and a biopsy of the lymph node on the 26th. I have a wonderful husband and three grown up children. I want to be strong but feel so disheartened at the moment. I am not the sort of person who feels sorry for themselves. I did not really attend any support groups during my first battle with breast cancer but I wish I had. It would be good to meet up or chat to others. I live between Preston and Southport.

Hi there Gillpanda

i understand this is a very difficult time for you, if you feel it would help to talk to someone, do call our Helpline, they’re open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000.

i have also included the link to our secondary breast cancer resources pack which you might find helpful to order here: http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-resource-pack-bcc173

Kind regards.

Louise, Facilitator

Gillpanda
Just remembered, there is a Secondary group meeting in Liverpool on the 26th. I haven’t been to one before but am hoping to go to this one.
Karen x

Hi Gillpanda
I was also diagnosed in 2008 and was looking forward to 5 years clear when in Oct 2013 I was diagnosed with secondaries in the bones. I understand your mixed emotions and it is hard to stay positive all the time. Everything is confusing and a bit unreal especially when it comes as such a shock.
I am near Bolton.
Karen x

Gillpanda - sent you a message

Hi Gillpanda,
So sorry you have had to make this introduction. Yes it is a shock - I was sent for a bone scan as a precaution when I told the Onc at my last (i.e. 5 year appointment) that I had pains down my legs. 6 weeks later I was diagnosed with secondaries in my spine and left lung. I am thankful that the onc I saw was so concientious. It certainly pulls the rug out from under your feet.
You are allowed to feel angry, down confused and anything else that wells up. I am sure your family will understand. If you really need to rant or ask questions there are a lot of very knowledgable and supportive ladies on this site.
I hope that the chemo is not too gruelling for you and more importantly does the trick.
Good luck Jacquix