327763posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary breast cancer - brain mets

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Secondary breast cancer - brain mets

Hi ladies I wondered how you're now doing? I just finished 10 fractions of radiotherapy where my brain tumour was removed in June. It caused nausea and tiredness, I sleep a lot and glad it's over those it's painless etc it's another box ticked. I start herceptin on Monday and soon after I start on oral chemo called Capecitibane (xeloda) for lung mets. Any experience of this one? Hope you're doing ok ladies x

Hi I'm sorry to hear your diagnosis. I had bc 2 years ago and 6 weeks ago they found a 2.7cm tumour in my cerebellum part of brain and in my lungs. I had the tumour removed 3 weeks ago, and starting 10 days radiation in 2 weeks. I've heard if a tumour can't be removed then gamma knife is good. Hugs to you it's hard news but i promise it does sink in and when it stars to be treated and dealt with you find more strength xxx

Thanks for the comments I too have had my mask made and start RT next week not sure yet what other treatments they have planned just want them gone Smiley Sad

Hello Jules,

I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer (brain, lymph and possible lung met) in Feb this year, after being treated for primary BC in 2012.  Although initially my Oncologist didn't agree with brain surgery, after I pushed for a second opinion, I had a very successful operation in March this year with the whole 4cm tumour being removed. It was a 3 hour operation and I recovered very quickly (within hours!).  Although brain met/s are very frighting and daunting, don't despair as there are amazing things they can do these days. The steriods offer immediate relief. Be sure to ask for all options and don't worry to question anything.  I was looking at the Cyber Knife/Gamma Knife options as well, but as it turned out the surgery was best option for the size and location of my tumour.  I'm currently on a course of oral chemo for the lymph and lung mets. Good luck with your appointments and try to keep positive ! Wendy

Hi Jules you must have been posting at the same time as me I am the total wreck with liver bone and now brain mets! I only found out last Thursday about the brain the rest I knew about but still awaitng treatment for that. After seeing the oncologist on Thursday I was put on steriods then sent to our nearest radio hospital on Friday to have a mask made. It wasn't bad. They get a pre made sheet of mesh that has poppers on it which is then warmed in hot water put over your face then fixed to the table you are layng on and moulded round your face with holes for your mouth and nose. Mine was done by a very pleasant gentleman and all in all it was quite a pleasant experience (does sound odd that). I said a few scented candles and whale music and it would be like a spar! He used warm water to rub and mould the mask to a perfect fit. Then fans are directed at you to cool down the plastic so it goes hard and off it comes. I was then sent for yet another CT scan this time with the mask on to keep you really still so x marks the spot and only took about 5-10 minutes and was fine. I've had so many scans now stand me in a corner in the dark and I shall glow green!! Yesterday I got a phone call to say radio starts Thursday so I will fill you in more then. This is a scary time but we must stay as upbeat as possible and be as positive as possible. Virtual hugs to you to keep in touch. Vicky.

Secondary breast cancer - brain mets

Hi

I am new to this stage have been recently dx with brain mets have appointments this week to find out more... feeling very lost and overwelmed tbh.  Would love eto hear some of your expefriences what to expect..

thanks all

Jules