Secondary breast cancer that has mestastied to my liver and I am ER positive

Hi, I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer on the 7th December 2013’ I then started 18 weeks of chemo which finished in the May 2013, I then went onto leteozole which is so far working very well for me. I would like to hear from any other ladies who are in the same position as me, and how long have you had it.
It is a very scary time. I was only 10 days off of my all clear from my fist diagnosed which was in 2007 where had I grade 2 ductal beast cancer and had my breast removed. Look forward to hearing from someone.

Hi Kimmy1

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

You might find one of our regular services helpful, our Secondary Live Chat which runs every Tuesday evening between 8.30pm and 9.30pm, the session is hosted by a nurse and facilitated by a moderator so there’s always someone to talk to.  I have put you the link below for you to have a look at.

breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi - I hope its ok, I’m posting as the partner of someone with metastatic bc. Initially diagnosed early 2009, treated with surgery, chemo, radiotherapy. Clear but returned in the bone in 2012, initial responses to chemo (taxol), capecitibine and (for longer) to e/e, but cancer has changed and developed resistance. Latest scan has shown e/e has stopped working and 2 new mets in liver (nothing in liver previously). This development has come as a huge shock. A biopsy of the liver is planned, with treatment to be discussed after that. However in initial discussion the onc has leaned against cyberknife (one of the few questions we could think to ask amidst the shock of the diagnosis - just yesterday) and is leaning in favour of immunotherapy and/or further chemo, but this to be discussed further. I/we would really appreciate any advice, information etc, sharing.

Hi all.  I had the double whammy, primary bc + bone mets dx in 2006, ER+ PR+ Her-neg.  When I was dx with multiple liver mets in 2009 I was devastated… but my CNS ( = bcn) gave me hope, she said “we can get good control of liver secondaries IF we find the right treatment”.  So here I am in 2014, having had 8 different treatments (some hormonal and some chemo, not all of them worked for me) and currently I am on letrozole again! since Oct last year, with stable disease. 

So I hope this encourages some of you who’ve had a more recent diagnosis.

Hi again all, glad I was able to help a bit… we “old hands” (I’m 64 btw) often stay on these forums to support if we can.

I don’t post much about my own situation on BCC as it’s a bit too public for me (anyone else think a private area for those of us with mets is a good idea?)  But I’m happy to accept those virtual hugs on here :slight_smile: I recently fractured some ribs, the oncs aren’t too worried but it’s really bad if I cough… and as for hugs… hubby is very patient with me, but he hears too many yelps and ouches at the moment!

I don’t fancy the idea of a liver (or bone) biopsy, but it’s an interesting point about receptor status changing.

Quick answer, yes it can!  Letrozole was my first treatment, worked for me for almost 2 years, then tumour markers started creeping up… eventually those liver mets were found after a CT scan.  I won’t give a list of all my treatments but I did very well on capecitabine, 2 years of this(2011 and 2012) then I asked to stop because of side effects.  I had eribulin chemo June-Oct 2013, then letrozole again.