Did you mean: 

Secondary breast cancer

16 REPLIES 16
Lynnq

Re: Secondary breast cancer

I will buy some tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thanks
Newyork

Melatonin worked for me too much better than sleeping pills. I take it in natural form of tart cherry juice which I buy online. I used to wake every two hours despite being relaxed and it's worked wonders!

roxy12

Hi lynnq, good luck with trying it. The one I am taking also contains vit B6 and as I have slight neuropathy due to treatment this might help there as well with a bit of luck! If I am really stressed before results I might take half a nytol with the melatonin. Let me know how you go on. Sheila xx
Lucy21

Found it !! Inspiring !
Lucy21

As new to this, how do I look at the new celebrate thread ?
Lynnq

Lucy21....have you had a look at the new 'Celebrate' thread....may be some inspiration there xx
Lynnq

Thanks for that Roxy. Like you also always been bad at sleeping but before I retired I was a shift worker including regular nights. I tried melatonin then but they only helped a little.....with hindsight probably because of un-natural body clock and sleep pattern. I am retired now and much more in a proper sleep routine so I think i may try them again.......would never have thought without your reminder.
roxy12

Hi Lucy and lynnq, just to say that I have had trouble sleeping for years and a few months ago things got worse for obvious reasons so I went to gp. He prescribed sleeping tablets but said that because they could be addictive he was only giving me two weeks supply and he wanted me to make them last two months. I did make them last but I have recently been taking melatonin. It is a natural hormone responsible for regulating the bodies body clock and it really does help me to sleep! I wish I had thought about it years ago. Also some research has shown that it may have benefit in women who are at risk of developing breast cancer as well as those with established disease. Its worth a try as opposed to regular sleeping tablets. Sheila. X
Lucy21

Hello Lynnq
Sounds just how I am feeling at present ! Sleepless nights ,anxious,loosing weight, can't eat etc.Cant get oncologist app here soon enough! Your story does sounds inspirational! And has given me great strength . Many thanks .
Lucy21

Hi Angelfalls
Many thanks for your kind words and advice. Finding things very hard at the minute but taking great strength in stories I have read on here . Will let you know how things are going.
Lynnq

Hello - so sorry that you are here but support is available and you will find a new way. I saw the onc to 'discuss' treatment about 3 weeks after being told that I had secondaries.

During that 3 weeks I was so anxious, i couldn't eat properly and lost almost a stone in weight....i could n't sleep properly and used sleeping tablets and I had some dreadful nightmares. I don't think that I ate a full meal and I have always been a good eater.

I saw the surgeon in the morning and then had a talk with a BCN - not my usual one, although she is lovely. The BCN told me that i would see the oncologist, and his main concern wasn't my breasts. He will look at you as a whole person and treat you as such. I saw him later the same day and he was excellent....asked me about me, my husband (who was there), my life and my family etc..

He then told me that he couldn't cure me but that he could treat me. Told me that a prognosis was a waste of time because he was treating ladies who were still here twice (and in many cases three times) as long as the timescale, and still going strong.

He put me on Letrozole ,organised a bone scan and told me to get out there and continue to enjoy life

On the way home Hubby and I stopped at a pub and I ate a full 3 course meal. First proper meal in ages.

When people told me that I would feel much better after a treatment plan was in place i found it difficult to believe...but it is true.

That was 14 months ago, the Letrozole is still doing its magic. I get achey and of course there are moments of despondency but I receive a lot of inspiration from these forums....don't post very often. Others are much more articulate and inspirational than me.

Good luck xx
Lucy21

Hi Angelfalls
Many thanks for your kind words and advice. Finding things very hard at the minute but taking great strength in stories I have read on here . Will let you know how things are going.
Lucy_BCC

Hi Lucy21 and welcome to the forums
I am sorry you have had this news, I am sure you will continue to find good support here and our helpliners are also on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000 and you can call weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2

You may find the support and information from the BCC Secondary breast cancer pages helpful too:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Angelfalls

Hello, Lucy, and welcome to the club that nobody wants to join... I'm sorry you find yourself here, but as you'll already have realised, you've found a priceless resource for support and information. The time between getting "the news" and starting on your treatment plan really is tough as your mind takes you to the darkest of places, but things will get better. Give yourself time to process this news, gather your thoughts and reliable information (NOT from Mr. Google!), ask questions on the relevant threads on this forum and read about how well lots of people are doing with so many current treatments. Be kind to yourself as you wait for your appt. with your consultant. And let us know how you're doing.

Lucy21

Hi Mildred 1602
First time on this site so bare with me ! All new to me . Consultant told me small area on my liver and femur . Will try not to read too much but very anxious till oncology app . Lots of support on here .
Mildred1602

Hi Lucy21
The time spent waiting to get full diagnosis & a treatment plan is not fun! So many thoughts run through your mind. My only advice is not to read too much on the internet & talk to supportive people around you - don't bottle things up.
Where do you have secondaries? There are many different threads depending where the mets are. Each with very supportive ladies.
Ingrid
Lucy21

Secondary breast cancer

I have recently been told I have secondary breast cancer after initial bC diagnosis in November 2013 . Had masectomy /axillary node dissection .6/17 possitive /stage3. Feel so low and depressed can't seem to see any positives at the minute ! Oncologists app in few weeks hoping after seeing him and the treatment plan I might start feeling a little more possitive . Anyone able to offer some advice and support .