73.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary campaign and a disinterested MP!

10 REPLIES 10
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Secondary campaign and a disinterested MP!

Hi Lucy

I hope I haven't reported anything that can be construed as 'libel.'
I puposefully haven't included my MP's name on here and in my newspaper article it was about the general public's lack of awareness of secondary cancer and I am reporting actual words that were said by the MP in his letter. If you would rather that a didn't mention BCC and just write 'a campaign' I will do that. If I do offend the MP, so be it, surely you have to be thickskinned to be an MP, anyway!

I also think that this is worthy of local news as he is supposed to represent his constituents in the local area. If he comes back at me with a statement to back up what he's said, surely that's better as it's more publicity!

As for libel, if he sues for libel, I don't have any money! and if things take as long to go to court as often portrayed, would I still be here to fight it?! 🐵

I take your point though, I will be careful how I word things!

Nicola

Lucy_BCC

Hi there
I just wanted to point out our community guidelines especially point 4-'Publishing statements which damage others’ reputations could leave both the forum user who posted the statement, and Breast Cancer Care, vulnerable to legal action under libel law'.

Please bear this in mind when posting

Kind regards
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for all of your responses

Leah I will contact Tamsin and support campaigning in any way I can.

2 weeks ago I did an interview for our local paper on the need to raise awareness of secondary BC and the general public's lack of awareness of what a secondary cancer is. It should have been in yesterday's paper, but wasn't as the editor had to run a time specific interview instead (it is in a women of today section.)

As the response from my MP (or more likely his secreatary as it was signed with a pp signature!) has illustrated exactly what I was trying to get across....complete ignorance of what secondary cancer is! By mentioning 'improving detection'etc. completely demonstates that he has no understanding of the fact we don't need detection of our cancers we are totally aware that they ARE there! I have decided to e-mail the editor of the local newspaper and ask her to include the fact that even our own local MP is totally ignorant of what secondary BC is (or should I leave it as 'totally ignorant'?)in the article if it isn't too late.

Thanks again for your responses,
My OH really dislikes our MP as he didn't even bother to reply to him when he wrote about something else, so he is very keen for me to take things futher!

Nicola

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Nicky65

I showed your post to our policy & campaigns team and they had this to say:

"Nicky, we are sorry that you haven’t had a more satisfactory response from your MP. While not all MPs sign EDMs, it is unfortunate that his letter does not address the content in yours. If you would like to pursue this further our policy team will be happy to assist you – do email Tamsin James at .

Thanks to everyone who has contacted their MPs about secondary breast cancer. We are really hoping to get a greater understanding among policy makers of the needs of people with secondaries and to use this to push for improved standards of care and better data collection. While we are seeing some progress there is still obviously some way to go and we are really grateful for all your support.

If you would like to get more involved in our campaigning work, please contact Tamsin on the details above, and/or join Breast Cancer Voices http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/get-involved/breast-cancer-voices/ "

finty

Hi smallstar

I would be interested in doing more - forgive my ignorance but what is CAN?

Thanks

finty

Lemongrove

Your MP sounds like a careerist to me. They think that if they call for better treatment for those with secondaries, it might be construed that they are criticising the Government for not doing enough.
Maybe we should have a name and shame thread. Anyone agree?

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone,
yesterday i returned from meeting with mp's at westminster, i actively campaign for breakthrough. I can confirm that the research is being focussed on secondaries thankfully. I urge you to join CAN, breakthrough can help with the mp situation. I met with mine yesterday, we must campaign to have the support from the mps they work for us dont forget !! Good luck and lets get ourselves heard !!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Yes, our MPs should represent our views in Parliament -- that's their job! And I'm disgusted at the response you've had from yours, Nicola. My MP sent me a letter confirming he'd signed the Early Day Motion, and went on to say how sorry he was to hear that I have secondary breast cancer, and wished me a speedy recovery(!). Good that he signed, but still lots of work to do there . . .

Marilyn x

Guest user
Not applicable

Absolutely shocking and disappointing. Your local press would have a field day on this story. I am really sorry and upset you have been treated this way. Especially since it's bc awareness month. X

Tawny

Hi Nicky

I wrote to my MP but haven't received a reply. It's a bloody disgrace that yours didn't even have the courtesy to read your letter. I participated in the first secondary breast cancer day in London. I note that on BCC's Facebook page, David Cameron has agreed to discuss the need for secondary statistics. Hope that we get some results.

If I don't hear anything from my MP by the end of the week, I will be writing a l-o-n-g letter to express my views. Funny how they all come sniffing around at Election time.....!

I have tried to urge people on the "Feeling Low" thread to contact their MPs. If anyone is reading this thread, please contact your MP and ask for help in compiling a national database of secondary breast cancer statistics. Wthout knowing how many of us are dealing with secondaries, how can we expect to achieve better support and care?

I feel really passionately about this, I hope everybody else does too.

Alison

Guest user
Not applicable

Secondary campaign and a disinterested MP!

Just to get off my chest my annoyance and frustration with my local MP!

I forwarded the EDM 771 request (Early Day motion requesting more awareness of secondary Breast Cancer and collation of statistics etc)from the secondary awareness campaign, to my local MP asking him to sign it. I wrote it as part of a personal letter about my circumstances as somebody living with secondary cancer in his area....one of his constituents (isn't he supposed to represent me and my views?)

I have just received a very important looking letter on 'house of commons' posh note paper, telling me that he WON'T be signing it!

It is a long letter with lots of waffle and long words, the gist being that the government are doing lots already to promote early detection and have invested lots of money blah blah blah to roll out a national programme...."could mean up to 500 people diagnosed earlier with BOWEL cancer, with a greater chance of successful treatment....."blah blah blah.

Early detection....bowel cancer! my letter was specifically about secondary breast cancer!

This is a letter quite obviously generated to answer all cancer requests. Not signing is bad enough, but not to have read my letter at all!!! It is almost laughable how off the mark it is!

Just wondering if anybody else has had any response from their MP...hopefully a better one than I have had!

Nicola