Secondary diagnosis with a baby

Hi all

Just over a month ago I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer with mets to my liver and spine. It was an enormous and terrible shock as I am 37 and have a six month old baby. I have already had my first treatment - chemo with herceptin and pertuzamab as I am HER2 +. I developed neutropenic sepis after my first treatment so spent a week in hospital. I feel great now although I am losing my hair. Next treatment is tomorrow so I’m fairly nervous but they are lowering the chemo dose this time. The last month has been crazy and I can’t believe how my world has been turned upside down, its like a bad dream. I’m new to this forum and would love to chat to other women with secondary and a baby or young child to find out how on earth you cope with all this. Any pointers about where I should go to on the forum would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks all x

Hi beepboop,

I’m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis…

I am slightly older than you, 45 and have two young (ish) children… They are aged 9 and 10… I was diagnosed with primary and went through chemo when they where 4 & 5… Secondary diagnosed last year.

There is a thread on here for younger women and I believe a FB page (tho I’m not a member)… I’m sure one of the ladies will be along shortly who can give you instructions on how to join…

I also had a bad reaction to my first dose of chemo and they had to reduce the dosage… It’s a balancing act and I believe there are quite a few ladies on here who have their doses reduced after the first infusion… Your oncologist will find the right dosage for you and will keep a close eye on its effect…

I really feel for you, the first few weeks/mths after dealing with a secondary diagnosis are very hard and having to cope with a young baby on top of that… Take time out as much as you can and rely on others for help…

Pls keep on posting, there are some lovely ladies on here who help me through those few weeks…

Big hugs…

C xx

Hi Beepbop, like C I thought of the Facebook group. I don’t use Facebook but a forum member, JulieD, set up the group, for all with secondaries and there are so many members now I’m sure there will be others going through treatment with very young children. I was diagnosed in my early 40’s but I started my family when in my twenties. You can find JulieD on the bone mets thread or the cyber cafe thread, both are on this forum, or if you address a thread to Julie I’m sure she will see it. We also have private messaging facilities here. Good luck with your next chemo, I hope you will find it works well for you. X

Hi Beepboop and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read that you are having such a difficult time, along with the support you have found here, our helpliners are on hand with further practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays 

As your fellow users have mentioned there is a Facebook group running which you may find helpful and you can read more about it here:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Younger-women-and-families/How-to-join-YBCN/m-p/961758

Take care

Lucy BCC

chat girls on fb is a god send!

<Empty imported post>

Hi marie I am so sorry to hear you are going through all of this and with a young baby as well. As you probably know, there is a lot of different treatments out there. I am hoping to have SIRT next week.  Try to take a day at a time and don’t look too far forward. The ladies on here are very supportive too. Sending you big hugs xx

Hi MarieMac1

Ive just read your post, and although my situation is different I know what you are going through.

I have SBC in the lung and am having chemo, now my daughter has been diagnosed primary breash cancer (I prey she doesnt develop secondary), and she has a 10 month old baby.  She has had her operation (although she had to have another as they didnt get all of the margin), and she is now waiting to start chemo,  That will be hard as somehow we are going to have to work round her chemo and side effects as well as my chemo and side effects.   At least though we are at the same hospital, and her fiance will be able to work his shift pattern around her.

She has a lovely fiance and they are getting married in October so we are all working towards that goal.

Very best wishes

Somehow you will get through, I know it.

Love  Sandra