cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sentinel Lobe Biopsy And Mastectomy

22 REPLIES 22
tgregory

Re: Sentinel Lobe Biopsy And Mastectomy

Yes I've got paracetamol and tramadol.  But by 8/9 o'clock I don't know what to do with myself. It doesn't make sense. You'd think as the day goes on and the tablets build up it would get more comfortable. 

Tracey

Silverlady

It does get you down sometimes, we have enough to contend with at the moment without hurting as well.  I have a PICC line in and my skin has just blistered this morning underneath the dressing - this has really pissed me off 😂😂😂😂.  But, I keep reminding myself that this is only temporary and it will all get better and fade into memory.

I only had paracetamol after the op as the codiene upset my stomach so much, are you taking any painkillers Tracey? 

tgregory

Hi Susan

i've spent the day feeling fed up because I'm still in so much pain.  And my op and biopsy was on the 30th March!!!!!

Guess I need to be more patient. 

Tracey

Melia

Sorry I miss read the last message I thought it said last year meaning a year ago! Excuse me by brain is very muddled at the minute xx
Melia

A year later 😲do they have to do this ? X
Silverlady

Hi Ladies,

I had a mx and SNB on 13th December last year and my SNB is still very painful and I still have a seroma.  I have told the Onc and he just said it wasn't unusual for it still to be hurting this far along.  My mx scar is a combination of numbness, tingling and tenderness, but I was told that this was normal as well. It also hurts more on my week of SE's during my chemo. (4th one next week). 

Susan x

Fee70

Thanks Debbie xx the pain under my arm is pretty sore but they didn't even mention lymph nodes to me so I have no idea what they were looking for they did scan under my arm and they measured it on the ultrasound screen and took photos xx
Debbie61

They get a pretty good idea via ultra sound etc if it's in nodes, but they will take out the sentinel node ( the lymph node nearest to the tumour) during the surgery and examine it under microscope. Then they know for sure and, if any cells are spotted, will probabably take more nodes out to see if it's spread. I had some cells on sentinel node but the next nine that were taken out were all clear. Debbie x

Fee70

How do they know if it's in the lymph nodes? During my ultrasound they scanned under my arm and took measurements and photos of under my arm .. is that possibly what they were looking at? X
Melia

I see I thought that was linked to the lymph nodes. I'm having a mastectomy anyway so that won't affect me. Thank you 🙂
On a diversion

Hi again,

Ask as many questions as you need to. I don't come on here very often these days but there is usually someone on here who is able to help out. I was exactly the same, only thought there was one type of breast cancer before etc etc.

So 'clear margins'.  When someone has a lumpectomy the surgeon aims to ensure that they remove both the tumour and a small (1-2mm) area, a margin,  around the tumour to ensure there aren't any cancer cells left. Following surgery this is examined under a microscope. If cancer cells are found in the margin, it means it isn't clear and then the person has to either have another lumpectomy or a mastectomy. 

Hope this makes sense. X 

Melia

Breast not brwssy haha
Melia

Oh right... yeah it's totally confusing. I've just about got my head around all the different bc names. Previous to this I thought their was just one brwssy cancer and that's it! So it's a good thing if it's in there? Is this related to clear margins I see a lot of people talking about? Sorry for all the questions.. I just learn one thing then I need answers to 50 more! X
On a diversion

Hi Melia,

There's so much to take in isn't there? No, if it is in the sentinel node it doesn't mean it is any others.

If you are worried about pain mention it to the nurses, maybe they can give you something to help. 

OAD xx

Melia

So am I correct in thinking if it's in the sentinel node it's in all lymph nodes? Or am I wrong x
Melia

I thought it might be that I'm having not really looked at the letters properly think am too scared! So I should expect a lot of pain then 😓 I'm such a wimp with pain too x
On a diversion

Hi Melia,

Most hospitals use a radioactive isotope to locate the sentinel node so I expect you are going to have that.  They like to check the sentinel node just to be sure.

OAD x

Melia

Can i just ask does everyone get this sentinel node biopsy thing? I'm getting my op on Tuesday afternoon for a mastectomy and have to go early in the morning for something to do with nodes. Will this be it even though they think my lymph nodes aren't involved by scans etc xx
SandraSussex

Hi Tracey!

I had lumpectomy and SNB on 30th March! My underarm is still really sore and have pain in my rib under scar....can't bear to take my bra off!

Would love to feel pain free and happy again!

Hugs!
Sandra x
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi tgregory, I think you need to mention it so it can be looked at and you can be looked after. No way will they think you are a wuss!!! In the meantime, are you taking any pain killers? I was sent home with some, and told I could top up with ibroprufin and paracetamol. Certainly got me through the first week. You can't use ordinary shower gel on your wounds until they're healed a bit, but I guess you know that? Any way, get the hospital told and ask for suggestions. X

Raitchr

Please mention it when you have your appointment. I was told to expect some pain there by physio as they take a node out and then prod around to take samples of others. It takes awhile for it to settle down as tissue is moved a bit to get to nodes.

Also bruising gradually works it way outwards, I was yellow around there for a bit. They also drained seroma and said it wouldn't hurt when they stuck a needle in, told me it would still be numb. They were so wrong and I felt it go in and could feel the fluid draining. 

ann-m
Community Champion

hi Tracey,
No, you're not a wuss & if there's something that's worrying you, then that's what they're there for! They will check the wound anyway, so don't be stoic & suffer in silence!
Wishing you all the very best for the results.
take care
ann x
tgregory

Sentinel Lobe Biopsy And Mastectomy

Hi,

I had a SLB and mastectomy on the 30th March. For the last couple of days my arm pit is so sore I can't touch it. Even my clothes touching it hurt. Trying to shower is horrendous, I am normally really good with pain but this is off the scale.

Anyone else had the same?  I have my hospital tomorrow for my results and don't want to mention it because they will think I am a wuss 😟

Tracey