cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy - Recovering

3 REPLIES 3
Laura_loo

Re: Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy - Recovering

Hi, thanks for all your feedback. I was advised to stay over but went home the same day as i thought i felt fine but when the pain killers wore off it was a different story!
The general pain is a tight pulling pain that aches all the time but the pain killers help a lot, the other pain is not helped by pain killers and only happens randomly and feels like a sharp electric shock in my back.
It does spund like the nerve pains mentioned above so hopfully will get better soon. I get the results tuesday so can get some advice then as well
Lulu34

Laura loo sound like maybe they caught a nerve this happened to me having a biopsy... It was like you describe a shooting pain radiating to my back and actually made me yelp. I was really worried a out it but after two to three weeks it just faded away with no problems.

Might be worthwhile speaking to your bcn just in case they want to check your healing ok.

Lulu x
claireglen

I have to say I wasn't in pain.  It was obvously very sore, couldn't move very well for a couple of days, but wasn't  throbbing, & didn't hurt if I didn't move, didn't need to take any painkillers at all.  Had WLE & 2 lymph nodes removed.  I did get sciatica (am prone to it) which was bad.  I think this was probably due to being manhandled & in probably a funny position when unconcious.  I'm wondering if some of your pain is due to being manhandled & trapped nerves.  My sciatica went after about a week & a half.  By following the recommended exercises I got movement back really quickly & healed well.  8 weeks on I'm still a little tender.  It does take time but you do sound like you're in a lot of pain.  You should contact your breast care nurse & say you're getting more pain than expected.  I remember having a pulling pain when I moved sometimes round the back level with the breast & thought it was a stitch pulling but nurse told me it would be a muscle as when they take out the lymph nodes it's a bit like an elastic band & it goes 'ping', but it went off after a couple of weeks.  I wasn't a day surgery case though, stayed in overnight & could have stayed in another day if I'd wanted.

Laura_loo

Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy - Recovering

I had the sentinel lymph node biopsy last week and am in a lot of pain. I was just wondering what peoples recovery time was like for this

The first thing i remembered when i woke up was the pain which suprised me as i always assosiated day surgery with minor operations that dont cause any prolems or pain! How wrong was i about that!

Its been a week and the pain is awful, its not swolen or bleeding or leaking or anything like that but i am getting shooting pains in my back and shoulder which feel like electric shocks! I can not raise my arm at all and can not sleep on it.

I was told to expect pain and look out for signs of infection etc and i dont seem to have any problems when you look at it but the shooting pains i am getting are horrible!

I am trying to take it easy and not do much but i find when i do anything or move it at all i end up with an ache that lasts for ages across my arm, back and chest a little bit!

Its only been a week so maybe need to give it chance but i just wondered if this is a normal sort of thing after this operation!

Thanks