cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sentinel Node Biopsy Side Effects?

15 REPLIES 15
Suestacey

Re: Sentinel Node Biopsy Side Effects?

Hi I underwent a full node clearence three weeks ago and at first the top of my arm was totally numb, and then feels like a dead arm but it is manageable.  There is some sensativity and at first the exercises can hurt but to be honest it is not as bad as the american sites make out.  I have no lymphodima and things are settling down quickly.  I hope this reassures you a bit 

Bouskillg

Hi two grey cats. I had SNB last week, no side effects whatsover. A little ache the same day & next day nothing - two red marks and not even a bruise. It was clear too so was well worth it just for peace of mind.

Sending you a hug and well wishes x

welshlady66

Hi ladies I didnt have any problems after sentinel lymph node but had to back in for clearance due to both nodes being cancerous I had cellulitis after due to fluid not draining, 3 mnths later and underarm still totally numb, also numbness right down to my elbow, have a lot of shooting pains and aching and grip in my hand is not the same I think it is worse for me due to already having an athritic shoulder and fibromyalgia, its just a matter of doing things differently, but as for the sentinal lymph nodes being taken had a bit of aching and stiffness but do the exercises and everything will be okay 

Meri

I have had couple of issues but medics sorting them.

Got infection, skin went red, and swelling bad.

Today loads fluid was removed which had deflating ballon effect on boob and arm LOL 🙂

Now I have big dent in boob 🙂

But so relieved they took some out as was quite sore.

I only had one lymph node removed but has caused fluid build up but my hope is this will settle down but warned fluid may return.

Whilst uncomfortable and tiring I do trust all will be resolved with time, I am bit older then some at 61 and already disabled by spine injury so body struggling a bit.

Healing is a personal and unique journey, we all different.

But knowing problems can be dealt with is main thing 🙂

KarenMc20

Hello there

I had a lumpectomy and SNB on 23 May. From what I'd read in various places I was expecting problems that have not materialised! There has been a little discomfort in my armpit once feeling started to come back, but nothing worse than the muscle pains you get after not having been to the gym for a long time!
My main problem is more emotional than pain. I'm a bad sleeper anyway so now sleep even less, but I'm getting lots of odd jobs done at the moment!
Take care, x
twogreycats

twogreycats

Thanks for the reply Bristol Mum and good luck with your chemo. If you're going to Bristol Oncology Centre, I know it well! Take care xx

twogreycats

Thanks for the reply ms merton, you're right about not giving me the choice; I asked to have the lumpectomy on its own, but not possible with nhs protocol. So there you have it, decision made, but these posts have put my mind at rest much more than it was last night! Hope you're well xx 💖💕

twogreycats

Thanks Helena, very grateful for the encouragement! And my nurse has been very sympathetic xx
twogreycats

Thanks optimissy, I agree about 'mixed blessing' - horror stories from the usa, but everyone here has been honest and reassuring.
twogreycats

Thank you all sooo much ladies! 💐 I'm a total newbie to this BC thing, although I've been living with cancer for over 15 years. I feel as if I've suddenly been transported to another planet where people speak an alien language and everything is new and scary, so I'm very grateful for your taking the time to reply and for the reassurance. Healing love ❤️❤️💜💙💚💛🌟

Optimissy64

Hi twogreycats

like the other ladies said, no problems at all with a SLNB. Had my sentinel node out along with my lump  in December and no problems at all from either procedure. Main thing is it feels a bit weird for a week or so, as it's numb, so you're washing your armpit and can't feel yourself doing it, but the numbness wears off. Do the stretching exercises they recommend from the day after the op, and you'll be fine. These forums are a mixed blessing in my view - useful advice and support where needed, but can also scare the hell out of you, as more people post who are having problems than those who don't. 5 months on i am doing everything I did before the op, digging the allotment etc, and a few things I didn't do before, like running (!) and am not long back from Greece where i swam in the sea every day and danced a lot. The SNB is a very essential part of deciding on your treatment plan and not somethig to miss out. Good luck with it all and you'll soon be on here offering reassurance to others who are newly diagnosed. xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

twogreycats

I had a lumpectomy and snb in October last year, clear margins, apart from the normal tingling from the nerve endings healing which actually shows that healing is happening, a bit of numbness under the arm for a few weeks, I did the exercises as they recommended, I have not had any problems at all, was very quickly doing most of what I was doing before but just being conscious of lifting anything heavy for the first 4/6 weeks, I went on to have 20 sessions of radiotherapy without any problems with the snb, I am now back to playing lawn green bowls which is my hobby without any problmes, in fact just got back from playing in a competition for 3 hours.

I really would not worry about it, you will not have treatment that is not necessary as each treatment plan is done to the individuals particular circumstance and they will take all your health issues into consideration when doing this.

Helena xxx 

Bristol Mum

I had SNB and lumpectomy on Friday and it was fine. I keep stretching to see if there are any side effects but apart from flight tingling in my hand and a little bit of achiness I feel fine. To be honest I feel a bit of a fraud as I've received 3 lots of flowers and cards and feel fine! I'm making the most of feeling good as the next step of of my journey is chemo
Ms Merton

I have had SNB and later a full node clearance.  I had absolutely no side effects from the SNB and I believe this is usually the case. Whereas cording, numbness and lymphoedema are relatively common with full node clearance, they are rare with only a SNB.  Of course the nature of these forums is that it is mainly ladies who have been unlucky with their side effects who post. The SNB is crucial to determine whether the cancer has spread beyond your breast and will inform all future treatment decisions, including whether you need chemo, further surgery and radio.  Plus, I'm not sure they're going to give you much of a choice ....  Because it is so crucial. Honestly, in this case the small risk of side effects is outweighed by the benefit. Best wishes. Xxx

twogreycats

Sentinel Node Biopsy Side Effects?

Hi ladies - any feedback on side effects from SNB? I've been reading stuff on usa forums and it sounds awful, with women having shooting pains, burning and numbness for months after. They don't make it sound this bad  in the NHS clinic, so reading this was a shocker! Now I feel I don't know what to expect and don't even want to go ahead with it, as I'm dealing with other serious health problems and don't need any treatment other than what's absolutely necessary. 

I would really appreciate honest feedback on your experiences. Many thanks very grateful and supportive of all that you have gone through on this forum. 

Heaps of love ❤️💕🌷