Sentinel Node Biopsy before masectomy

Hi Ladies

Has anyone had a SNB prior to a masectomy to find out if there is node infestation. It is it pretty much standard that it is all done at the same time?

Has anyone has a reconstruction and then found out they had node problems and then treated?

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I think it is good they are doing SNB first. Hopefully they can determine extent of node involvement first and do everything necessary in one go. Unlike myself where I had mastectomy and SNB at same time and have to go back a second time of ANC. Hopefully you will heel all in one go and not have to undergo two operations which personally speaking I find so depressing. Just got use of arm back and got to through it all over again.

Hope everything goes okay for you. I did not find mastectomy that bad with hardly any pain and just remember to do exercises three times a day. That is most important.

Take care
Starfish x

Hi Starfish

Thank you for replying… I am not so lucky though. I was pusing for an snb prior to masectomy since I am being told that I have pagets (nipple cancer) but they think it is localised to behind the nipple. They say they dont think there is node involvement. Therefore, I wanted a immediate reconstruction to avoid 2 surgeries. My consultant is point-blank refusing to even speak to me about it!
I just needed to know if it is just accepted that it isnt done. Although I have read that it can be done first to assess the extent prior to a full masectomy.

I just want to know why I am not given the one-stop surgery option - just someone to speak to me about it!

Are you planning recon later? Do you need rads or chemo?
Lisa

Hi Lisa

Unfortunately my case apparently is complicated. Today is the first time recon has been mentioned after a mastectomy and even then I think it will be a year or more. If I do it. I just want to know I am well first. I have to have everything.

I have read (and possibly you may have read article in Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago) where people are offered recon even if they do need chemo and rads as well. Apparently it depends on the individual surgeon.

I had to have a mastectomy and I had two tumours and one behind nipple so no chance of saving breast.

Good luck with all your treatment. This is a really great site for support and advice.

Starfish x

Hi

Just to say, I had lumpectomy and SNB. Unfortunately the lump was bigger than they thought (!) and 1 node affected. 3 weeks ago had mast, immediate recon and auxilliary clearance. I will have chemo and rads and there is a risk that the recon may suffer a little with radiotherapy. This was not a barrier to having the reconstruction they said. I think being offered immediate recon depends, sadly, on cost and local expertise. I am going privately and fortunately there is a renowned surgeon who did my DIEP flap recon (he has done hundreds!). I have no regrets as it was a huge op, but just the one op which was important to me as I have young children and didn’t want to go in again at some point in the future.

Good luck!
Rebecca
x

Hi Lisa

I think that the decisions the medics have to make are quite complicated and what is right for person A and completely wrong for person B. So it’s best not to get too worried that someone else is being treated differently.

I was told from the beginning I would have SNB, chemotherapy, mastectomy and radiotherapy. When the SNB showed them that one node was affected, they just said that the decision to give chemo before surgery was the right one. However I’ve come across another lady being treated at the same hospital, whose a similar age and her treatment is very different.

take care

Pauline

HI Lisa

I don’t really understand all the jargon but when I was at the breast clinic I had an enlarged lymph node and they did the biopsy the same time as the lump the biopsy felt the same so I am assuming core biopsy (all that clicking) it was fine tho bit more uncomfortable probably because there is no fat there, pressure more than anything so I do know that that node is affected. Hope it all goes well for you

Deb x

Hi Rebecca

I too can go private. The company I work for have us insured well! (to keep down-time to a minimum!).
My issues are that no-one seems to want to talk to me about it!
The pathologist sent results over to the sugeon only an hour before my appt - I thought it was a team who decided my treatment!

Maybe Im just going through my anger phase of dealing with this!
COming on this site definitely has a calming influence on me!

Lisa

Hi Lisa
I have not had same treatment as you but a couple of people I have met have had immediate recon, and then when they have had to have rads, recon was ruined and has to come out, one not easily was diff job, so I think good idea to get firstly someone who will talk to you about options ( cant believe your breast surgeon wont discuss) maybe he does not or cannot do, my breast surgeon told me that he does not let any of his ladies have recon at same time as op in case they need rads and you get better finish when it has been allowed to heal ??? ( He does not do a plastic surgeon does, although some surgeons do both)
At least if you can discuss with someone, or second opinion you can make decision easier,
Take care
Dawn X

Hi Lisa, I had SLN biopsy done as a day patient the week before mastectomy as core biopsy had suggested some node involvement. Then I had mastectomy, axillary clearance and immediate DIEP recon on 1 March, have just started chemo, and radiotherapy will follow. I was told that reconstruction using implants was not advisable if there was any possibility of needing rads as they would harden, but DIEP which only uses own tissue was fine. It was an 11 hour op but I am so pleased to have been given the choice. I’m having private treatment but BUPA won’t pay the full cost, partly because they seem to think DIEP is an unnecessary extravagance, and they say they could have found cheaper surgeons (own tissue recon is done by a plastic surgeon, the breast surgeon can do implants but not tissue grafts).

Good luck whatever you decide, and do keep asking them for explanations. Lyn x

Hi Lyn

Im in a mess - I just dont know what is happening.
I went in to see my surgeon who confirmed pagets 2 weeks ago (nearly) - and she mentioned that she thought it was localised behind the nipple cos the mammo was ok apart from the calc behind the nipple - and that she doubts if the nodes are involved. However, she didnt want me to have recon incase I need radiation if the nodes are affected, and didnt wait around to talk to me. I was given a date verbally of 1 or 8 May by the nurse. My bcn told me she would forward a request to the plastic surgeon to see me as a private patient as she seemed to think this would be the quicker option. However, I got a letter from the plastic surgeon with a date of 1st May as NHS since he wont see patients who are on the NHS privately! I havent had a letter or anything from my surgeon - absolutely nothing.
I spoke to my GP who said he would follow it all up. Now all he can tell me is to see the plastic surgeon on 1st May.
I havent had a discussion with my surgeon about what is likely to happen - in weeks leading up when they couldnt get any concusive results, she was saying that her instincts were telling her it was IDC - but had no proof. It was the nipple sample which finally told us pagets. If I do have a masectomy without recon, then what type is she talking about?
I just feel like I am being bullied into this - I cant cope with it.
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I read a quote this week

‘Your pain is caused bey the breaking of the shell that is your understanding’

I think this is a fantastic observation

When we don’t understand what’s happening, so much happens to us both physically and psychologically , and although the surgeon and the plastic surgeon know what is within thier field of expertise, they don’t have any teaching at medical school in ‘how to communicate’. I like to think that this is why we have bc nurses, as they generally have excellent understanding and communication.

I’m finding my waiting (6 weeks now!) difficult, bit like waiting for Christmas as a child, but I have worked in NHS for 25 years and I do know my way around the system and I do have a large and varied knowledge of various physiologies so I don’t angst about it so much. Hence my log in name!

This time next year… I hope we will all be well and happy!

Cyber hugs to you, Td (((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))

You know something - it could be right.
I (We) have lived in ignorance of this and now we have to face it and understand it.

I keep looking around me thinking, when I was decorating this room last year, I had cancer. When I was away with my sisters and family last year I had cancer.
I was in blissful ignorance.
Now Im now… not is the pain.

Thank you… the worst is yet to come though - the treatment and the surgery.
How strong will we be in one year!!!
Wonderwomen!

Thank you xx

Lisa… you have the opportunity to see the plastic surgeon, you will see the surgeon again and they will listen when you explain your fears about ops. Previously, you felt that she was ok with you, so maybe something horrible had happened in her life that day… they are people too.

I had the whole lot done in one go except for recon - my choice as you will recall from other threads. My choice was always likely to not include recon mainly because i am older than you… i’m 50 next week… i’ve never worn low tops and so on.

this time last year my lil tumour (how is that for a sick range of toys!!!) was probably also growing away. We didn’t know and we were happy… now we know, it is hard but we will be happy again - properly so.

Surgery and treatment - everyone - inc on here will get you through

Take care
jen

Jen
You are right. I do respect my surgeon, and her career is more worthwhile than mine. She is wonderful. I have bad days… and so must she.

Lisa

hey it is NOT about HER career… not what i meant… all our lives are worth something lots - all she may be saying is i think this - but you can see the recon man - hey cue a version of the repo man!

docs… they just have bad days too.

I think what I meant was, she is saving lives, and a bad day to her is probably worse than a bad day for me in oil and gas software. A bad day for me will be that we have a bug in some software, and payment is late. For her, a bad day is more critical.

Bring on the repo man on Thursday!

Hi Lisa

I had SNB prior to mastectomy. My dx was 23 Oct 2007 DCIS high grade and widespread with a strong possibility of invasion hence the SNB prior to the mastectomy as if no invasion then I could have immediate recon. If invasion then no recon as I would have needed rads which can harden the implant that I would also need.

21 November I had SNB under general anaesthetic and on 1 December arrived at the hospital still not knowing if I was having the recon or not. Got results that morning from my consultant and lymphs were clear so had mastectomy and immediate recon. They did find micro invasion from the ducts and 1mm clear to the chest wall and 2mm clear to my skin.

I am on BUPA thru my other half and initially saw NHS doc and was dx at NHS hospital as my other half was in the dark as to my concerns, the usual thing of me not wanting to worry anyone. As soon as he knew then we just spoke to my breast cancer nurse who let me know that my consultant does both NHS and private work for BUPA. All my appointments are now thru BUPA.

Every case is different and I wish you well. Let us know how you get on, fingers crossed for you.

luvnhugsCarolexxx