363523posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sentinel Node & blue dye query

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Sentinel Node & blue dye query

LOL Joanne, sorry but that is funny, but we do look like corpses don't we.

I saw the onc on Monday and he commented on the blue, said it could be months before it goes, ah well at least I can see a blue tit whenever I want 😉

L
xoxo

My friends came to visit me after my op and asked me to close my eyes and cross my arms so they could take pics cos i looked dead NICE MATES.

Joanne

Hi
I am still blue after a lumpectomy on April Fools Day and took a lot of ribbing and not a lot of sympathy because of the date. I had big blue rings round my face the next day but those went very quickly. The nurse said people like you scare the life out of me! The surgeon told me the dye stings so he does it once you are asleep. Every time I have to strip off for a medical appointment, some bright spark shouts 'you're still blue', you know I think I had noticed!! I understand it can last up to a year.
Good luck everyone
Lily x

Hi jackie
I had my op exactly 1 week before you and nipple still tingles every now and then but no pain. I see my cons and team on thursday hope its gone by then
love
Bridie

thank you toffee i will see how i go on for the pain in my nipple for a few more days then if it still persists i will ring my bcn i dont want to seem a mard arse if you know what i mean because its probably a normal process of healing x

Hi jackie 62,

I've had funny sharp pains around the area where the op was but nipple not too bad. My boob below the nipple is still a bit discoloured but very much faded now and no one would notice except me. Ask your BCN abour hols and radiotherapy. they often know what the waiting time is like for rads and how soon it will start.
Good luck with results.

hya all i just had my op on thursday i had radioactive isotape on wednesday then the blue dye whilst i was asleep i had one node removed and the lump removed did anyone get like pins sticking into your nipple because i have had it since i came home and this is sometimes painful and i wondered if this is normal i didnt know that the dye stays on for months i am waiting for my results in 3 weeks so my fingers and tioes are crossed for good results. does anyone know how long it is after radiotherapy you can go on your hols coz im hoping to go in end of august if all goes well

Hi girls I have had BLUE tit for four weeks now. Please dont worry it will fade . I will have masectomy soon so doesnt really matter. love to you deb43 x

Of course, in my case, it was in 2 out of the 5 so I had to have a full clearance anyway. And a remarginalisation. Two ops in two weeks brought on my period as if I didn't have enough to worry about!

I still have a blue tit (and it's not the one nesting in the garden!) after snb March 08. Am assured it will have gone by Xmas, surgeon initially said it would last a few weeks, but he lied! My friend is a nurse for him and gives him a hard time - hence the Xmas promise!

oooooo have you got something to look forward to lol

My hubby has started calling me his blue tit and I've not yet had the dye!!!!!!!

i had only one node taken which was positive I was told that this procedeure save unessary operations but noe its in lymoh glands in neck so not so sure about it

Hi all

I had an isotope injection but nothing blue!!

I think it all depends on your surgeon. I only had 4 lymph nodes removed and thankfully none were involved!!

I find this so confusing as some girls have had up to 28 removed!! (p.s diagnosed feb 2008)

ohhhh that sounds painful annamarie something else i got to look forward too lol

Hi i had my op last aug and still got a blue tit!!!! im in corsa's gang (same oncologist)
Anna
PS cant see the blue now as i have radiotherapy burns!!!!

hi corsa

Do you know how long the dyw last in your boob seems to be taking ages to go away

Hi had sentinel node/ blue dye Last Nov and looked like a smurf next morning, blue pee as well, removed 7 lymphs but only one showed cancer. My ONC who is a super guy calls all his ladies who had blue dye, his blue tits. No one could take offence cuz he is so approachable and calls a spade a spade. Love from Bobbiexx

i had both dye and radio active and yes you did turn blue afterwards which amused my visitors no end I now get called mama smurf but it faded by next day if that wasnt bad enough I had to go into hospital agian the next day due to pain in my stomach but forgot all about dye (was out my d]face on morphine great stuff) had to give sample and the look on the nurses face when she looked at it and fled out the room wish I had a camera. lol

Hi

I had a sentinel node biopsy last June and still have a blue boob !! I had 8/14 nodes affected but looking on the bright side as the BCN said - it wasn't in 6 of them.

Liz xx

Hi All

Just phoned the BCN & I will be turning into a Smurf too apparently but more than 2 nodes will be taken as the Papillary (not Papillion - must have been thinking of butterflies) tumour can have ductal involvment which can lead to node involvement. Oh joy - they love to spring these things on you don't they.

Where did I put that Valium.

Keep smiling it's sunny at least.

Love Jo
xx

OMG If BC isn't bad enough - you can turn into a temporary Smurf!! This gets weirder by the minute.
(Sorry Pauline, hope you don't mind my sick humour think it might be hysteria).

Jo xx

Hi Jo

I had SNB and had blue nipple and skin until the breast was removed some 6 months later.

I have heard of a lady who had node sampling rather than SNB and we were treated at the same hospital, so I think it's down to the individual surgeon. Mine used ultra sound in the operation.

I did have a rare side effect in that some of the rest of me went blue - temporarily I hasten to add - and it was sorted out really easily with Piriton. But the first thing the nurse said in recovery 'was you are blue'.

Take care Pauline

Hi Jo,
For my sentinel node procedure I was injected with a radio isotope into my nipple and then x-rayed as this is the only way it can be seen.

The blue dye was to locate the other axilla nodes and the dye was injected while I was under the aneasthetic. I am almost 4 weeks down the line and the left side of my breast near the nipple is still blue but nothing else is.

But as you can see Jo people have been given it in different ways and for different things.

Hope you are keeping well and keep asking loads of questions.

Take care
Lisa
xoxo

Thank you very much ladies for your explanations. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I will indeed ask my BC nurse as I would really like the oportunity of just one or two nodes being taken if poss. REALLY don't fancy being disabled for the rest of my life if I don't have to be with lymphodema. I think it may be that I have no choice if my surgeon isn't trained in it - would I be able to ask to be transfered to another hospital where it is offered I wonder? Maybe I will prove to be a difficult customer (they might take it out on me when I am on the table!) Oh dear my first hurdle and I have only been diagnosed for 4 days!!

Jo xx

Not all surgeons are trained in this procedure, I had it just after Christmas and still have a blue mark on my nipple. I was very grateful to have this op instead of the full sampling and as the SNB showed no spread, I didnt need another op

HI Jo - The advantage of sentinel node biopsy is that only one (or perhaps two) nodes are removed, thus totally minimising the risk of developing lymphoedema if they are found to be negative (if cancer is found in them, then obviously more nodes need to removed). Some centres that do this use the blue dye to identify the sentinel node, some use radioactive isotopes, and some, to be doubly sure which is the sentinel node, use both. In my case I had both. The radioactive isotope procedure was started off a few hours before my surgery, with injections around the nipple and tumour, this showed up on a scan. The blue dye was injected immediately before my surgery, in the operating theatre. But it might be different for everyone. I don't think these procedures are available everywhere yet, although they are certainly becoming more common. The research shows them to be as accurate as lymph node sampling. Good luck. Sarah.

Hi Jo,
During the sentinel node biopsy procedure , dye is injected into the nipple.Therefore excreted in the urine. As lilacblushes said, ask your BC nurse or surgeon if its available and what the differences are , and if they affect diagnosis in any way. shouldnt do.

julie xx

I think it is something that is only offered at some places. I was not given the option - I had node sampling (he aimed for 4 but managed to get 7 very easily - thankfully all 7 were clear). I'm not sure if one is better than the other. Might be worth asking the surgeon or breast care nurse if it is available.

Sentinel Node & blue dye query

Hi All

Been looking at other threads and some have mentioned blue nipples and urine after lymph node surgery. Is this because they are using the Sentinal node proceedure - and is this only avalable at some centres? Is it better or worse? Should I be bothered that I have not been offered it?

Thanks Jo