cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Sentinel nodes. Does this mean bad news

7 REPLIES 7
Brewster

Re: Sentinel nodes. Does this mean bad news

Hi Sue, bilateral because highly likely to develop in other side so having it done now !!

S x
Sue123

Hi Sam, poor you having to go through chemo twice! I too had cancer about 20 years ago in my thyroid gland. I had to have a thyroidectomy and radioactive iodine and annual checks thereafter.

Some of us get all the luck hey ??

I wich you well on Friday Sam, let me know how you get on. Btw, can I ask why you are having a bilateral mastectomy? Do you have cancer in both breasts or is it a risk reducing op?

Sue x 

Brewster

Thanks so much Sue. 2 out of the 3 sentinel nodes are negative!! So happy. But.... The third one they have sent away for more testing,meet that back on Friday. Seeing surgeon next Tuesday and hope to have my bilateral mastectomy in next 2 weeks, then chemo will probably be after Xmas ?? Depends on surgery recovery time. Being treated at christie in manchester for chemo and wythenshawe for surgery. I am 48 , so not one of the very younger women. I know what to expect with chemo as I had lymphoma when I was 20 and the radiotherapy and chemo are what's caused the BC ironically ! Anyway, feeling more positive now with 2 of the nodes clear. Now just need the third one to be clear and let battle commence. Everyone of here has been so helpful and supportive and I read the positive stories on here about TNBC everyday as it keeps me grounded and positive.

Love to all going through this xxx
Sam_BCC

Hi Sam

As well as the support you are receiving here if you need to talk things through do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Sue123

Hi Sam, I was diagnosed in December last year. I had a wide local excision (lumpectomy) and thankfully my sentinel nodes were clear but even if your aren't that is not all bad news as there are lots of ladies who had lots of affected nodes who have done well. I sometimes go on the triple negative foundation website which is informative.

I had 6 months of chemo as most of us triple negs do. I had 4 lots of epirubicin and 8 doses of CMF chemo. There are lots of different chemos and no 'one size fits all'. Chemo was not great but it is now a memory and long may that remain! Also having had chemo we know we are doing all we can to keep this thing at bay.

When did they say you will get your results Sam? and can I ask how old you are as tnbc often affects younger women. Not so for me as I was 60 this year, diagnosed at 59 and a half!

Can I ask what part of the country you live? I am treated at Clatterbridge cancer hospital which has been really good in the main, we have a fab Maggies centre on site.

I have my first post op mammogram on 1st December so fingers crossed. 

Sam if I can offer any advice don't go on google. So much is out of date and scary and things are improving all the time. Take care

Sue x

Brewster

Thanks for replying Sue. The waiting is just awful but I guess it can't be much longer now. What treatment are you having, if you don't mind me asking
Sam. Xx
Sue123

Hi, I too have tnbc. You must be feeling very anxious and you won't know for sure til you know... However they said the results were not ready and my breast care nurse told me they will never lie as it is unethical so I would hang onto that.

When I went for my results they took ages chasing them up.

I wish you the best and do let us know how you get on, Sue x

Brewster

Sentinel nodes. Does this mean bad news

Went to get my sentinel node result today 10 days after the op. Was told results are not ready and have been sent for further tests. I have TNBC and am now assuming this must mean the nodes are positive?

Has anyone else been in this position πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯