1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Sept 2016 rads

Jacks63

Re: Sept 2016 rads

Hi you lovely ladies hope you are all well πŸ˜€I had my 9/15 treatment today been absolutely fine but when I came home noticed boob rather red feeling tender so slapped some cetraban cream on I use it at least twice a day feels a little better looks like side effects are starting but I've done well so far!!at least I've had lots of help and advice from this forum which is a godsend thank you all.I also feel rather tired today I think things are catching up with me I try to just carry on and not sleep in the day so I can sleep at night but think I'm going to have to slow down a little and have some rest,

today has been really hot here 29 degrees so unbearable sat with all the doors open to get some air ( live in Nottingham) 

Amylou hope your wound heals for next week so you can start rads

pluckyducky well done 

kary hope you get your planning sorted hope swelling is sorted for you 

Marydan try not to worry too much it is really quite easy my tiredness has only just started and I'm 9/15 sessions in my partner drives me for moral support more than anything it's so nice to have someone by your side I'm sure you will be fine

take care everyone keep posting Jackie xx

Amylou

Hi guys, nice to read about how your all getting on. Unfortunately I didn't start my rads today (wounds not quite healed) hopefully starting on the 20th now. Xx
marydan

Hi all you lovely folk, Puckyducky well done to get through so well. I start rads on Monday and am terrified not really about anything other than the extrene fatigue people have been warning me about. I have multiple sclerosis and am just recovring from my first ever relapse slowly but surely. I think thats why I am so so scared as I hope to drive myself daily and if fatigue so so bad it worries me. How have you found the tiredness. Sorry for rabble, Mary xxx

Sue255

Well done pluckyducky! Nearly over for you. X

Pluckyducky393

Started last week of rads today πŸ˜€ it's gone so quickly. So far no major issues, itchy boob and feels like I'm crushed up a packet of crisps and emptied it into my bra. Other than that all good. E45 cream working for me. Hope you all have a good week xx
Sue255

Hi kary, hope you get your dates sorted. I've been ok on the anastrazole so far but only just started so time will tell. Have felt v tired. Your breast swelling must be bit of a pain although at least it's not preventing rads from e it eases soon for you. 

Have a a good week all. Nighty night x

Kary

Hi all,glad rads ladies seen to be coping well,hope your doing well sue with the drugs.I had my oncology meeting on Thursday,i should be starting rads nearer the end of the month,they will phone me tomorrow with a date for planning so I'm hoping the scanners fixed now.I raised my concern as to the breast swelling,it appears I have slight lymphoedema,she said it's not draining but is happy to go ahead keeping an eye on it,it gets bigger as the day goes on,so will see what tomorrow brings,have a good Sunday ladies.

Sue255

Thank you ladies for all the info. Much appreciated. Will see if an appt comes through for bone scan then. 

Hope you all have a good Sunday. X

Jacks63

Hi I had a dexa  bone scan about 2 month before rads started its a simple scan you just lay on a bed and they scan you don't feel anything.when results came back Iwas told I had osterpinia so needed calcium and vitamin d tablets which I take twice a day I was told to have a lot of dairy products full fat milk cheese etc  Iwill have a follow up scan in 2 years time to see how bones are doing as anostazole tablets can cause bone thinning don't really know what they will do if bones are worse but need to have Anastrozole to stop the dreaded c raising its ugly head again so pros and cons to everything sometimes you don't know what to do for the best we just trust the advise we are given from the expert doctors and hope it's the best.have a lovely weekend all Jackie xx

HeatherC

Hi Jacks and Sue,

If you are taking Anastrozole one of the side effects is thinning of the bones.  My onc arranged a Dexa scan to give a base point to see how they are, as I said the results showed borderline Osteopenia.  She then sent me to my GP for Calcium and Vitamin D tablets and Bisphosphonates (Andronic Acid or Risedronate) they help to build bone. The Andronic Acid didn't suit me so I will try the Risedronate on Monday, you take them once a week.  I asked if I really needed them as only borderline, but she said once bone has been lost you can't replace it and if it was her she would try the alternative before giving up.  So that's what I will do.

My Onc arranged my Dexa Scan when I saw her previous to the radiotherapy planning.

Hope that helps, I would add that I am 65, (very active) don't know whether that makes a difference!

Have a good weekend everyone xx

Sue255

Hi Jackie, you're doing well!  I had first tablet yesterday (fri). Slept 1.30-5 in afternoon then had work. I was bit tired. Have to see what happens and if any side affects. Not heard about bone density scan yet but got planning appt 21st. Do they usually do the scan then?  Not sure what they sort out at the meeting. 

All the best for those of you in the middle of rads. X

Jacks63

Well 7 down 8 to go!! Nice break for two days all well so far so keeping my fingers crossed will not get side effects😨How are all you lovely ladies doing? well I hope.

heatherc I ve not been told about bisphonate !!!what are they for? 

Sue have you started Anastrozole?

pluckyduckie bonsai23 how are you doing?? well I hope .Have a good weekend ladies. Jackie xx

HeatherC

Glad you're doing reasonably ok Jacks, I had the Deca bone scan and was told borderline Osteopenia too. I have the calcium and vit c tablets, are you on a weekly bisphosphonate as well. I was given them, I took one and had such a bad stomach I haven't taken anymore. Going to see GP this morning to discuss options. Well done everyone we're all getting there! x
Jacks63

Hi all 6down 9 to go 😱 must say I feel better than I expected not too tired boob ok slightly redder but not sore let's hope it carries on like this.

Isnt it strange how everyone seems to be starting hormone tablets at different times I was originally told that I would finish all treatment then start hormone tabs but then I was told to start them 2weeks before rads started also on vitamin d and c tablets as when I had bone scan was told I had osterpinia which could turn to brittle bone so not sure what's causing night sweats swollen hands and achy good boob!!! the things we go through 😬I'm coming back as a man πŸ˜€ Hope everyone doing well keep us posted on here it's good to share our feelings and tips help each other along this long journey Jackie x

Sue255

You are doing so well Heather. I start my Anastrozole tomor. Hoping I don't get too many side affects.

HeatherC

Hi Ladies, I had number 10 today, also saw chief radiographer for chat to see how it's going, she said boob was really good hardly pink. I've been on anastrozole since 15th June and I get stab you pains too also lists of aching especially at night, shows it's working I suppose! Just the tiredness getting worse each day. Still won't be much longer, 5 more then I'm done! Hope those of you that haven't started get there soon. It goes quite quickly then.
Sue255

Sounds like it could be kary! We can compare notes lol   Think I'm starting the Anastrazole this week. Got dr appt tomor. All these meds seem to have some form of side affect don't they.  My moods are all over the place at mo. Just want all this over with now. 

Hope everyone has a good night. Last nights sleep was rubbish and I haven't even started med or rads yet. Oh well, onward we go eh. Moan over..

sue xx

helly18

Hi Jackie, I have been on anastrozle for a week and have had pain and tenderness on one side of the "good" boob which I wasn't expecting!
Jacks63

Evening everyone hope you are all well I have had my 5 the session today feel a little tired boob a little pinky/red but ok.Iam getting stabbing sharp pains in breast not being treated and at side of breast been assured it's nothing to do with rads , is anyone else having these pains don't know if it's a side effect of anostazole ive been taking for 2 1/2 weeks take care everyone Jackie x

Kary

Doing very well ladies its good for us to know what to expect,well I had a call from the hospital this morning my appointment to see oncologist is still going ahead tomorrow but the cat scanner is broken so won't be getting my planning appointment till later,so sue I may be with you in October at this rate!

Sue255

Well done to all you ladies working through your rads. It's good to hear how you're getting on. I seem to be lagging behind as not got planning meetiIng until 21st!! Think def oct rads for me at this rate!

Only a brief post as just in from work and shattered. Xx

HeatherC

Hi Jacks, I had a really busy day ending with rads at 4pm, by the time I had driven home I was really zapped. Exhausted, felt sick, hubby cooked dinner (doesn't normally cook but managed egg & chips!) Felt better after that but very tired. Boob getting red but not sore, same as you. How are you feeling? Yoga tomorrow morning so will get on with the exercise, can't give in! xx
Jacks63

Hi heatherC I didn't have headache yday but very fuzzy headed today feel much the same but tired but don't give in just keep going went for a walk because if you sit about makes me feel worse.saw doctor today took a look at boob said its turning red but can't say as I had noticed doesn't hurt so I will keep creaming up keep it in good order hopefully,how have you got on today? Jackie x

HeatherC

Hi Jacks,

No I'm a rightie, so don't have that problem. Did have a headache yesterday though and fuzzy headed! Hope you're doing ok today. xx
Jacks63

Well done heatherC over half way hope you continue to feel not too bad are you a leftie if so do you do breathing in??take care Jackie xx

HeatherC

Hi, I'm barging in too, I'm 8 down 7 to go. It's really quite easy, you soon get used to going in every day! As everyone says it's just great to get on with it at last. I'm beginning to feel quite tired now, but boob only just slightly pink. Hope it stays that way! Good luck to all. x
Jacks63

Well had my third session rads today as usual didn't feel anything until I came out when I felt quite light headed and spaced out at home felt as if I can't be bothered to do anything don't know if it's the rads or weather !!! anyone else feel like this wasn't expecting anything until about day 7/8!!!

well done bonsai and helly18,pluckyducky week 2 soon came around how are you feeling? apparently if depends where your heart is in relation to area being radiated if you need to do breathing thing!!

Kary glad you are a little better enjoy your wine tommorrowπŸ˜€

Marydan that's what they told me tattoo both sides for correct position but don't do rads both sides good luck it really is quite painless just a bit weird.Take care everyone happy radsπŸ˜€Jackie xx

marydan

Had the ct planning day today. Went well and I am all tattoed up ready to begin on 19th sept until 13th october. Just wondering why they put tattoo on left side. The radiographer siad it was just to get into correct position and there is nothing wrong with the left breast. xxx Sept/OCT RADS X TAKE CARE ALL

helly18

1st one over with 22 to go woo hoo x
Kary

Hi all been back to hospital today ,boob still swollen but better than it was,the nurses weren't sure ,so the consultant came in and said it would be OK to keep planning appointment for Thursday so here's hoping she's right and I can just get this over with ,two more antibiotics then a large glass of red tomorrow night, I shall report back,enjoy your evening 😁

Pluckyducky393

Well done Bonsai. First one over wooohoooo. I know everyone is different but remember to take it easy. I was exhausted after week one. Started week two today. Look after yourself.

Also asked about the holding breath thing today. They said it depends on the treatment. Where I'm bringing treated they don't do the hold your breath but other places have different ways of delivering radiotherapy and involves holding your breath. Not very clear but I don't have to do it.
Bonsai23

First session of radiotherapy over and done with x really strange laying there with machine whirring and knowing I am being irradiated but feeling nothing! Staff were lovely, put me at my ease x back tomorrow morning x hope you are all doing well xx
Janey2

Argh! Wealth of knowledge not actually!! Xx
Janey2

Doh! Tattoo not ratio, ****** spellcheck! By the time we get to October Sue we will have actually of knowledge from you lovely August and September lot. I wonder how many of us have started deep breathing reading this thread. My CT scan is provisionally booked for the 14th, pending Oncotype result being both back and also giving a no chemo answer. I've been told will be at least three weeks from then till Rads start.
Kary I hope you're feeling brighter. My first G&T tonight after finishing tablets. Truly delicious xx
angelrainbow

Hi all. Off to planning meeting for radiotherapy tomorrow. Lumpectomy was on the left so have been busy turning blue as I practice trying to hold my breath - phew! just read on here that some don't have to do this so I'm intrigued and a tiny bit hopeful as well. Someone told me that you can have an 'invisible' tatoo which can be seen under UV light instead of one that you can see - anyone heard of this? Will update how things go tomorrow. Night night everyone for now.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi ladies,the breath holding depends on the position of your heart on the CT scan ,if it is not close to the target area then you don't need to .I had left side BC but didn't have to.
Sue255

I also wondered about this ct scan. No one has mentioned that to me yet. They said prob got to have bone density scan..is that same? I suppose I'll learn more on 21st.. Seems ages away. 

Jane you're right we will prob be October now.

hope everyone has a good week.

sue x

Artermax

Hi. I had my CT and planning appt last week and start 21st Sept. 4 and half weeks treatment. Got my tattoos and they're not so bad xx
Lesley21

Hi, just to put my twopence worth in - mine was left side but I didn't have to breath holds (finished mine 16th August). Not sure why some lefties have to and some don't?  Lady having hers at same place same time as me also left side did.  Maybe it depends on the position of the tumour and how close it was to the heart, all I know is I was glad I didn't have to.  Good luck to you all still having them or about to start, soon be over, it is true, once you get started you do seem to get them over and fine with quickly xx

KatKit

Good morning everyone,

I'm barging in on the Sept thread as I go into my last rads up to the 12th, 2 more regular then 4 boosters from Weds.

The CT scan is to make sure they line up the measurements with the tumour site for when you start rads, It's straightforward, just the staying still is the hardest but really really straightforward! They'll draw on you again but just lining everything up. I think the unknown is the anxious part, waiting and wondering what it will all be like. Once you get started the time really does go quickly, I can't believe I'm now on the last stretch. 

Also the holding breath is if your BC is on the heart side, the left. Mine is the right so no holding the breath but my sister in law's was the left so she was told to but they will explain this. I have found that most of the staff are really helpful and will answer any of your questions....we just gotta remember to ask! 

I hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Kate x

Janey2

Thanks Jacks for letting me know about CT. I wondered where the ratios would go. I'm a leftie too and have asked about breaths but so far no answers. Hopefully I'll no more when I meet again with Oncologist xx
Jacks63

It's strange you don't do holding your breath thing does any of you other ladies do it??hope you are having a nice couple days off before you are zapped again lol Jackie x
Jacks63

Hi Jane cy scan is just boob area where you having rads they will mark you up with the lovely tattoos I have 3 one each side of each boob and one in middle it's where they take measurements to do rads then just mark you with a pen too but that washes off tattoos sting a little but only for few seconds,they do rads to whole boob not just where the lump was as I thought they did!they shout all these numbers out but it's just measurements for position you will be in for rads it's a little weird but you won't feel anything good luck Jackie x
Janey2

That's great you have your appointment through finally Sue. We must be October or will break the world record for the longest wait! Probably a stupid question but I didn't ask yesterday. Is the CT scan for just the breast or whole body? Xx
Sue255

Letter today with appt to see radiographer 21st so looks like I'm an October rads I would have thought..

have a good Sunday folks. X

Pluckyducky393

I'm a left boob too. Must ask about the holding breath thing on Monday or just do it! Hope you're all having a good weekend x
Kary

Great news mam and pluckyduck your both well on your way now,mine is my left breast too so maybe that will be the case,and spa treatments how spoilt,but what a fabulous idea.well thanks for the concern ladies boob still very swollen and hot,although I think it's gone down a little,i go back to the hospital on Monday iv a feeling it will be more antibiotics and appt moved but will just have to wait and see what they say,they rang me to give me the appointment sue and then I got the letter so they may just ring you,have a great weekend ladies ,non to impressed at mine being completely dry,enjoy xxx

Sue255

Jackie glad you have got through the first two days ok. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. 

Have a good weekend. Nighty night all, Sue x

Jacks63

Day 2 rads over with again don't feel any different no probs whatsoever hurray hope it carries on like this. I had to hold my breath as I had surgery on left breast so radiotherapy can be close to heart so have to hold breath so chest rises and lifts away from heart it's quite easy once you practice.pluckyducky how are you feeling?wish Ilived in Scotland so I could join you for spa sounds great have a good weekend everyone Jackie x

Sue255

Goodness, I typed a reply to your post plucky ducky but it disappeared. Here goes again. Enjoy your pampering. Not sure if they do treatments where I'm going but that sounds wonderful. You deserve it. X