cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sept 2016 rads

185 REPLIES 185
Kary

Re: Sept 2016 rads

Thank you ladies he's adorable I'm in love! Rads went OK iv crossed over to the Oct thread now,as mostly be done then x

Sue255

Jane I got told that today too. Just said if I have any reaction then to stop using it.

Jacks63

Kary congratulations so glad babies arrived it really is so nice to be a nana/grandma it's a wonderful experience enjoy your lovely grandson something to look forward to😀😀

Janey I wasn't told not to use any different deodorant just my usual one I also used cetraban cream twice day before starting rads and during more if needed think that's why my skin has stood up so well!!!good luck when you start,

Hope everyone is doing well Jackie xx

Janey2

Kary what wonderful wonderful news and must be a huge boost. I hope today was a better experience Jackie. I'm confused about some of the information I was given - including I could wear whatever deodorant I liked!! Xx
Kary

Sorry wasn't posting now it's done it twice.
Kary

Hi ladies,how shocking for the nurse to be so blunt its disgraceful.I shall report back my prep talk tomorrow when I start mine,iv had the time changed so I don't have to do "motorway at a standstill traffic" and I hope the parking permit that I purchased arrives today.Best news of all is that my daughter had a baby boy on Monday morning at 9.24 weighing 8lb 1oz and I was present throughout I'm so glad he's here before the next journey starts,and of course I'm in love ,I shall report back after first session tomorrow,good luck to you all x

Kary

Hi ladies,how shocking for the nurse to be so blunt its disgraceful.I shall report back my prep talk tomorrow when I start mine,iv had the time changed so I don't have to do "motorway at a standstill traffic" and I hope the parking permit that I purchased arrives today.Best news of all is that my daughter had a baby boy on Monday morning at 9.24 weighing 8lb 1oz and I was present throughout I'm so glad he's here before the next journey starts,and of course I'm in love💗.I shall report back after first session tomorrow,good luck to you all x

Jacks63

Hi pluckyducky sorry to hear you not feeling too good probably best to go to see your doctor or contact bc nurse just to be on safe side as you say you don't expect it after rads when you have been lucky with side effects thus far but hay ho these things are sent to try us just something else to cope with in this horrendous journey😬I am 5 days post rads now and getting redder but soreness bearable so fingers crossed will be all ok soon !!!for me it's the psychological effects I find hard feels like I am on a rollercoaster up then down mostly down but keep plodding on as we do.

marydan how's this week going??any side effects from tamoxifen??

helly18 how's the boosters going hope you feeling better and rash not too itchy😱

Kary any sign of Gra baby yet??i moisturised before and after rads my skin behaved quite well because of this  good luck for Thursday 

robinh welcome and good luck tmo you will be on your last week before you know it,yes it really helps everyone to share experiences you get a lot of support and tips on here or have a moan (which I seem to be having a lot lol) 

natnew81 can't believe you only got 2 more sessions to go doesn't time fly when your having fun lol hope you haven't had too many side effects

good luck to everyone starting or having rads and all those post rads hope you not getting too many side effects but remember everyone this forum is to help each other overcome our issues along the way we have a lot of friendly helpful people on here all willing to share experiences and help each other Jackie xx

Jacks63

Hi jump123 how alarming for you yes they do tell you possible side effects but I have not heard about anyone on here getting these side effects as bad as those described to you think she needs to learn some bedside manners and not scaring patients like she has you,I finished 15/15 rads last week and sailed through them with boob only changing to red towards end little uncomfortable at times but not needing pain killers!!once you start you will be really surprised how quickly time goes you will be at the last one before you know it please don't let those comments made by this person upset you it is really straightforward just keep putting moisturiser cream on- which I think personally helped a lot and keep posting any worries on here a lot of us have been through this and we are all here to help each other however we can take care and good luck Jackie xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Pluckyducky,go to GP and get some advice ,I had a lot of problems post rads and ended up with an infection and very , very sore broken skin ,you carry on "cooking "for a while after rads ,but with antibiotics my skin cleared up pretty quickly.Jill
Natnew81

Pluckyducky393 sounds awful 😞 Isaw radiotherapist today and asked for something for my skin, they gave me something called intrasite gel it seems good. 18 down 2 to go & they told me skin reaction would carry on for at least 2 weeks after treatment. Maybe you could ask GP or BCN for some it might help?
Natnew81

Hey jump123 bet your'e very nervous about it all now which you don't need as we have enough worry without nurses scaring you regarding treatment! I am now on session 18 of 20 so 2 more to go! Yeh 🙂 Trust me you have nothing to worry about! Session 15 onwards my skin was a little bit as they say sunburnt and just a little uncomfortable to lie at times on but all in all manageable. radiotherapy itself is a breeze! Just 1 thing moisturise as much as poss. If you have any questions let me know as I am almost at the other side! Lol
Happyboobs2

Sorry meant to reply to Jump123. Hope you are ok Pluckyducky.
Happyboobs2

Hi,

I was a bit cross when I saw your post as will be a lot of ladies I am sure. After chemo my consultant told me that compared to chemo rads were a walk in the park. Well, we are all different and some people may have problems but all I had was a square sun tan on the chest. It felt prickly at times and I kept the area well moisturised as instructed. 

Having to travel everyday for your appointment is tiring and resting is helpful if you can.

Please do not be too worried. I am sure you will find many helpful tips on this forum.

xx

Pluckyducky393

Hi Jump123
Awful that you were made feel that way. They need to see how your skin reacts. Terrible to scare you.

Not to alarm Jump123 but anyone else having post rads problems? I'm now 9 days since rads finished. 15 days of rads no problem but last 5 days have been pretty bad. Skin is almost black it's so burnt in spots. I've been in a lot of pain. Finding Bepanthen nappy cream which I had for my son is helping the most but wasn't expecting post rads skin and fatigue to be so bad.
eileen728

Try not to worry. I had 15 sessions with NO noticeable side effects. I suppose she was just outlining worst case scenario but I honestly felt fine. Maybe a bit more tired than usual but nothing else at all. Fingers crossed it will be the same for you xx

lorac170

Jump123,

God that's awful. Some nurses don't have a particularly nice bedside manner, I guess. Although, she was right to point out the POTENTIAL side effects - it is by no way a given that you'll experience some or any of them. I would have thought though that these side effects should have been explained BEFORE your first day of Rads. 

Can't really comment on your last point because I declined their kind offer of Radiotherapy - very small % gain, in my case.

It might be worth giving the Breast Cancer Care nurses on here a ring if you're having a wobble......

All the best & take care, Carol

Jump123

Hi There.  Started rads today and interview with nurse was alarming.  She launched into a spiel about skin reactions that included burns, blisters, open wounds and significant pain and said "this is one time in your life when you should take as many strong painkillers as it takes to get you through"  WTF!!!!!!!  I was a very reluctant starter and now terrified to turn up tomorrow.  Wonder if 1 session is considered therapeutic.

robinh

Hello all, I'm starting rads tomorrow, first of 15 sessions, so not sure if that counts as September or October thread...actually not sure if the October thread has started yet... anyway, sorry for the ramble.

It's very helpful to read of other people's experiences and I'm very happy to share mine if it helps.

Robin x

marydan

Thanks you so so much for letting me know about the tamoxifen brands. I really hope your wee grandbaby comes very very soon. You will be fine when the rads come along. Different places have different guidelines as I have been told not to cream at all and they will give me the cream they recommend if and when I need it. Take Care .xxxxxx

Kary

Hi all hope Sunday is a good one for you all,my tamoxifen taking in the evening is suiting me far better,not so many day time flushes.Also different brand of tamoxifen hasn't made any difference to me.When we are on about creaming ,is it OK to put cream on before rads(aloe Vera)?.I'm starting mine on Thursday I need my grand baby here before then,just want to see that my daughter's OK before all this starts again,hopefully tonight,iv everything crossed 6 days over now but we have signs,happy Sunday ladies.

Chris52

helly18

Jackie,  that's sounds a lovely time with your family. Congratulations to those that have finished. I have had 3 weeks with 8 boosts to go and seem to have hit a fatigue wall and feel quite "foggy" along with a terrible itchy rash on my chest and have been given hydrocortisone cream.  On the flip side  i have 2 matching boobs as the naughty one is swollen so should enjoy that whilst it lasts  :). Hope everyone is having a good weekend xxx

Spoiler

marydan

Thank you so so much for all support. The radiographers have said they will let me know when I need to start with the cream and will give me the correct one to use. Every hospital has their own rules/guidelines they told me I so will let you know. Also I have been drinking the water, I always liked water but I am drinking so much I wobble when I walk !!! I was even told I could shave the armpit in question, its strange all the different things we are all told. Well hopefully all will be good for us all, we deserve it. I have a different brand of tamoxifen which I start on Monday, I asked all the team I have who all say it should not make a difference but kinda nervous as I have been fine so far and worried in case the new brand changes that. Ah well wait and see. I even asked the bc nurse yesterday about my left breast. I had it mammogrammed when this first started and although they ultrasounded the right breast which then discovered the cancer, the left was not ultrasounded so I can only think the left was fine, do u think? Sorry rabbling AGAIN. Love to all xxx

Jacks63

Well done marydan on completing your first week😀remember to keep putting cream on and drinking lots of water have a good weekend Jackie xx
marydan

Jackie, I am so glad ou are feeling a lot better today and what a lovely well deserved night you had with your family. Keep well and take it easy. I have just finished my first week of rads, feel ok so hopefully will continue this way. Like you I feel we are all friends now. xxx

Jacks63

Hi everyone thank you for your kind words it's such a relief to know I can share how I'm feeling with people who understand what I am going through I have a fantastic supportive family but I have to keep a front up for fear of upsetting them.feeling a lot better today not so down just keeping busy ,boob is going really red an itchy just keep using plenty of cream😂I had a lovely surprise tonight was invited out by my son for a meal when we got there the whole family were there😀😀it was just what the doctor ordered my 5 children and partners  7 grandchildren 2 sisters and husbands it was such a surprise bought me to tears but happy ones I have a lovely family.

Best wishes to everyone still going through treatment and everyone recovering you are all lovely people I consider you all as my friends Jackie xx

Pluckyducky393

Hi Jackie
I finished my rads a week ago today. Got through three weeks of it no bother. This week has been the worst. Full of tears, skin has gone from fine to fried, sore, itchy and I can't stay awake it's been a bit crazy. I wasn't expecting this week to be like this. Ive struggled a bit this week but hubby just keeps telling me to sleep, stop worrying and just take care of myself and for once I'm listening to him. Hopefully won't last long like this but just gotta ride it out. Hope you're ok x
Lesley21

Jackie, just wanted to tell you when I finished my rads (16 August) the feeling of relief that it was over didn't last long, I then crashed right down, felt so low, miserable and unwell.  The after effects kicked in big time, in fact it was the worse I'd felt since first being diagnosed.  Not helped by being unable to sleep (hot flushes/sweats). Hang on in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I now feel great (though still not sleeping).  Just got back from mooching round the shops, got eyebrows done, treated myself to a gorgeous top. Put my makeup on before I went out and enjoyed just walking round the town, market, stopping for a latte and feeling normal again.  I bumped into a few people I knew, all commented how well I looked and how upbeat I was, and I wasn't putting on a front, really feel perky.

Just accept that you feel c@@p for now, but every day that passes is a day nearer to getting better.  Cry if you feel like it, have a glass of wine or a bar of chocolate if that's what you fancy, just be nice to yourself and remember, this is not forever, things will get better, I promise you xx

susu

Hi all, very glad to help. I know how good it is to hear from others a little further down the line as although we all react differently it's nice to know what to expect and what's 'normal' at the various stages of treatment.

Do keep slapping on the creams before, during and after your rads, you will go on 'cooking' for a couple of weeks after you finish but things should then start to calm down pretty quickly after that.

To answer Mary's question on different hormone brands. It can make a huge difference, I tried various ones before finding the one that suited me best and my regular pharmacist now has a note to only give me that one when I get my repeat perscriptions. It's a bit trial and error to start with but worth it if you can find a good one for you.

Take care eveyone and ask away if there's anything I can help with.  Sue xx

Sue255

Just read your post Jackie and I really know what you mean even though I haven't started rads yet. I felt that way after my lumpectomy and couldn't understand why. Susu has written an excellent reply which I'm also grateful to b able to read. Well done Jackie on getting to this stage. Keep positive and remember help is still there for you. Sending big Norfolk hug. Xx

helly18

I had this which I was also surprised about but it seemed to calm down. I've had  14 sessions (another 9 to go) and although  the boob is red and a bit itchy it's holding up well x

Artermax

Morning ladies. 1st of 23 rads completed yesterday but I have a question. My boob is already swollen pink and warm even after 1st session. Is this normal? I must admit I wasn't expecting this until further down the line
marydan

So sorry SHREK fingers me posted that twice xxxx
marydan

Gosh this site never ceases to amaze me as I was just having those very thoughts and took a look on to see you lovely ladies have addressed the issue. I am only on 4th rad with another 15 to go but I was honestly thinking driving today, does the feeling of normal  life and not panicking about everything being cancer ever go? The rads are going fine so far, I got my prescription of tamoxifen as I finsh the ones the hospital gave me but they are not the same brand. I have been fine on the tamoxifen so far and I am terrified when I start these that will change, the hospital ones were teva and these are mylan. I am so sorry if I am asking this on the wrong place. Love to you all Mary xxxx

marydan

Gosh this site never ceases to amaze me as I was just having those very thoughts and took a look on to see you lovely ladies have addressed the issu. I am only on 4th rad with another 15 to go but I was honestly thinking driving today, does the feeling of normal and not panicing about everything being cancer ever go? The rads are going fine so far, I got my prescription of tamoxifen as I finsh the ones the hospital gave me but they are not the same brand. I have been fine on the tamoxifen so far and I am terrified when I start these that will change, the hospital ones were teva and these are mylan. I am so sorry if I am asking this on the wrong place. Love to you all Mary xxxx

helly18

Jackie well done on finishing. I felt very "flat" after finishing chemo and although I am looking forward to finishing  rads the thought truly terrifies me which no one seems to understand as they all think it's the end and everything's back to  normal.  From what I have read these feelings are very common  and I suppose like most things you learn to live with them in time xxx

susu

Hi Jackie, just wanted to say that it is very common to feel flat and a bit abandoned once active treatment is over. Having got used to attending appointments, treatments, and discussions with all the various medical bods suddenly, that's it, you are cast off to fend for yourself. You feel you should be celebrating, friends and family certainly think you should be, but it takes time to adjust to your new post cancer life. The worries do not automatically stop when the treatment does and it is only once the 'merrygoround' has slowed down that you fully comprehend all that you have been through. I attended a Moving Forward Course run by Breast Cancer Care last year which was great as not only are there various expert talks on all the aspects of dealing with long term recovery, physical and emotional, but also you get to meet others going though the same thing as you and it really helps to know that they are feeling as you do. In the end, only time will calm your fears but it does get easier I promise.  Take care and look after yourself.  Sue x

Janey2

Jackie congratulations on finishing. I think I will be 15 or 16 weeks when I finally get my first blast. I was told it would be 3 weeks from planning, so was surprised to have a start date within 12 days, so hope the same for you Sue - maybe the October thread should have Doreen somewhere in the title?! Xx
Jacks63

Well had my last rads session today hurrrayy!!! I'm really glad but why do I feel so flat??didnt really know what to expect big banners party balloons??? just seem to feel like when I was having treatment at least I knew they were doing something to get rid of this thing but now it's only me that can get well again people are trying to be kind saying it's all over now that is not how I feel how do you move on from this anyone help.Jackie xx

Jacks63

Hi Sue sorry you have to wait so long it's all waiting I had to wait 15 weeks post op for my rads due to one delay and another don't think there is a set time for starting rads just doing all tests etc first to make sure best possible outcome the weeks will fly by remember you are not alone take care Jackie xx
Jacks63

Janey great news well done glad you had good results good luck with rads they really are quite straightforward take care Jackie xx
Sue255

Thanks kary, really hope your painful shoulder improves. Good you've got something to take for it. I think different areas seem to be quicker than others and maybe mine isn't so urgent as someone else with rad apps. I'll just go with the flow. Have a good night everyone. Catch up tomorrow x

Kary

Way to go Janey I'm so glad that you got the result you wanted.Sue it quite a long time to wait but I suppose they have to make sure everything is in place,and we will still be with you cheering you on,and moaning.Well done ladies who have started rads,and those who are just finishing,i have a sore shoulder too but I think that's linked to the lymphoedema I got naproxen for it.Im around 6 weeks into tamoxifen and it makes me feel like s++t,i had been taking it in the morning but iv swapped to evening and I have to say iv not combusted quite as bad,but there again it's been a lot cooler today,i think you just have to play about with what suits you,nice to hear from you all tonight,X

Sue255

Started my Anastrazole on 8th. No big prob so far.just feeling very tired but that might not be anything to do with that. I take mine morning but wonder too if eve would be better. Let me know how you get on with it. Looks like it will be about 12 weeks post op near enough before rads. Hope that's ok.just watching bake off on to. Not good when you're on a diet!! X

Amylou

Hi guys anyone had shoulder ache/stiffness? I'm thinking this is more to do with the position they have us lay in rather than the radiation itself. Xx
Janey2

Oh Sue what a long wait. You WILL be with us. I'll be there all October and will be there as you start and egging you on to your finish. I'm not sure when to take my first Anastrazole tonight or in the morning. Waiting for Dexa scan too. Big hugs xx
Sue255

Hi Jane. Dr said my planning meeting will be at Cambridge within the n still two weeks and prob radiotherapy stRting end October! Was so hoping it would be with you all. She is organising bone density scan as on Anastrozole. Oh well, yet another wait eh. Glad yours sorted Jane and Marydan you are doing great at mo. 

Keep posting though. Sue x

marydan

Meant to say that the radiographer was telling me today that I can shave my arm, which is done already. Also told that I can use my soap, etc but I have waited this long another couple weeks will not do any harm. xxx

marydan

Hello girls, good to see you are all holding up well. I had my 3rd rad today, going fine so far so hopefully it continues. Cannot believe this is my 4th week of tamoxifen as well. Things have moved so quickly and I feel grateful but kinda surreal feeling too. Has any of you lovely folk had a kinda vibrating buzzing feeling which just kinda comes and goes? Not at all painful ust strange. Probably just me being me again. Ha !! Hope you all ok