Did you mean: 

September Mastectomy

tillybob

Re: September Mastectomy

Well done Lizzy, a gentle hug (cos I'm still sore) from me
Jean xx

Lizzy1977

Thank you. They have now said it will probably be tomorrow before i can go home and have to wait another two weeks for results. This waiting game is a tad annoying! Xx

harp1970

Well done Lizzy-hope you continue to recover well xx

Lizzy1977

Hope you got on ok yesterday Gooseberry Girl. I'm thinking of you. I had my MX yesterday and they have said i sshould go home today. Im suprised that this hurts less than the WLE and node clearance. I did cry for the first time last night. Think it finally hit me but am trying to focus on the way forward and getting on with the chemo. Big hugs
Lizzyxx

tillybob

Gooseberrygirl, good luck for today, you will be fine, I had chemo 1st and I assume you v'e got that to come, This is just one of the steps we have to take to beat this awful disease, just remember that !
I was not worried about the surgery at all,I trusted the surgeon to do his best for me, and he has, it took a few days for it all to sink in afterwards but now I am just concentrating on getting better and getting on with life.
I will be thinking of you .
Jean.

Jo_C

Really glad to hear the chemo has worked well Jean. Now carry on resting and getting better!

Ninja

Thanks for your posts, Tillybob and Sarahlousie.

Tilly (my cat's called Tilly!) I'm in my 50s, too, but I must be one of the vain ones. I wish that I *was* a younger woman! I'd prolly have more strength to deal with all this crud.
Sarah - I always giggle when I see your name, 'Sarahlousie' - and how folk change it to Sarahlouise when they reply to you. Hee hee. Was it a deliberate pun or a typo?

tillybob

Hi Sarah, glad your home at last, hope your recovering ok. It's a big op we've had and it's easy to think alls ok and then we do too much and suffer later. My OH has been great ,I was home in 24 hrs from hospital so he had to do a lot for me including helping me get dressed, I had to wake him during the night to help me to bathroom, but he never complained once.Rest as much as you can, I am 2 weeks on and still not able to do much.My head says yeah but the body says no !
I am getting my results on Thursday, but my BCN rang yesterday to tell me all looks good, the chemo has worked very well and that makes all this worthwhile, just need to get my lung met blasted and I will be happier.
Love and Hugs Jean.x

gooseberrygirl

Hi There Ladies, reading this thread there is such a mixed bag of treatment, reactions and experiences. I feel lost amongst it all, Having Mastectomy today at 2.30 with full clearance, The waiting is awful and the inevetability of the outcome. Just hope when I wake it is gone. More than 5cm and distorted nodes, feel this is not the end of it but the start of the rest of the "cure" Big hugs to you all x

sarahlousie

Hi Ladies,

So got home today feeling ok bit depressed as the flat needed cleaning and there was no food in the cupboards, so had a massive argument with boyfriend, broke down, and now just feel totally depressed. He's really a great boyfriend but honestly all he had to do was a bit of hoovering. All part and parcel of this shitty journey I suppose.

Ninja -I also had a radical MX with total node clearance the surgeon said he had to do a lot of dissection on the nodes and had to cut into the muscle, but he reckons he got clean margins although we wont know that yet until the results come back, by the way I think you should continue on this thread we will all be here for you, like jean said virtual hugs and hand holding all the way.

Because I have secondaries on my lungs they would not perform a recon and Jean I am with you on that one no more surgery for me I am still relatively young at 43 but dont want to ever go through that again not even for asthetics, so one boob will have to do. I lost a lot of blood and my blood count was so low I nearly needed a transfusion but at the last minute they said it was ok. Have not had that much pain so far and hoping it continues this way. My scar is quite low down so wont show with a false boob and will be able to wear low tops etc. Home feels weird as I havent been here for 8 days now and I kinda miss the nurses who are all angels as far as I am concerned.

Good luck to all you ladies yet to have the op and best wishes, better go and rest now as I am sure I have done way too much tonight.

Luv and light to all of you
Sarah Sweety xxxxxx

tillybob

Hi Ninja, I have read your other posts re your surgery and really feel for you, I have just had a radical Mx and level 3 node clearance, I had to have extensive surgery because I have IBC and so I am left with very little on my left chest side.At first I was horrified at what they did to me but 2 weeks on I look and feel better about it, I am early 50s so vanity has passed me by but I can't let my OH look at me yet I don't want to upset him , nurse tells me it's very early days and it will get better, Try to focus on what is being taken away ie the cancer and not that you have lost your breast,no one said this would be easy but we seem to get through it, as for recon I can't be considered unless my secondaries have been stable for at least a year, but at the moment the thought of more surgery just makes me shudder, so I will see how I feel in a years time ,I know it's different if your a younger woman.
A virtual hug and a hand to hold if you need it
Jean x

harp1970

Hi Ninja

You are the day after me then, and I'm not having recon either. We can feel flat together if you like 🙂 Going for pre op today which makes it all seem very real for me.

Love Rach x

Jo_C

Ninja the Mx and Recon Oct thread is one I started, I am happy to change the title if it helps, I didn't mean to upset anyone and don't want to upset you further.

supertrouper

Hi Ninja - sounds like you need to start a new thread. I would like to see a Ninja blog thread as I try to keep up with what is happening to you every day. You were one of the first posters that I started following after I was diagnosed back at the end of May this year.

It's harsh what you are facing - but you must remember to take it one day at a time.

Ninja

Hi girls, I've just got my date through for 30 September. I'm not sure about joining this September Mx thread as you'll all be through it and over before I start mine.
There is an Oct thread but it's titled "Mx and reconstruction" and I feel very strongly that I don't want to be in a thread with that title, as the surgeon won't allow me a recon for at least 2 years and I'm very upset about that.

I was told in April that I would probably be having a WLE with ANC but I was hit on Friday with radical Mx including total node clearance up to neck level, removal of chest muscle and skeletonisation(!), which sounds awful. I can't bear the idea of going to sleep with two boobs and walking up with only one. I suppose if they were smaller it would be easier to cope with. Surgeon said that they have to keep my chest wall completely flat so that recurrences can be seen easily.

My PortaCath was put in on the side of my BC so half-way through the op, they'll have to get the port man in to re-site it on the other side. I could never figure out why it was inserted in my poorly boob anyway - seems daft.

I have less than 2 weeks to come to terms with the whole radical Mx and no recon idea. I was due to have a WLE on 14 October but chemo had to be stopped early due to horrible SEs so it's all a shock and my head is a mess.

harp1970

Hi all

I know 3 weeks isn't long, but am determined to go back if poss because I have been off work since March and am now on half pay. As a single mum with nobody else to pay the bills it is getting very difficult to manage. My boss is fab and has told me to come back but take it easy, and has arranged for extra support in my classroom, and ordered me to leave on time and not do anything extra.
Will also be working part time for a while and hoping to go back part time just before Christmas hols. But I won't be silly about it and is not possible i will stay at home until I'm ready. Just feels like such a long time since life was normal.

Hope everyone's doing okay x

Guest user
Not applicable

My goodness you ladies. I am now 14 days post op tomorrow and am still very uncomfortable with swelling and heat. Anti biotics I have been put on seems to have stopped the pain but the swelling is not good. Cant believe some of you are thinking of going back to work after 3 weeks.!!!!!!!!!!! I work in a primary school and have been advised 6 weeks so far, but am still waiting for my results so depends what the outcome is. I was very weepy today only wept when dressings removed before. You women are wonderful. x

tillybob

Rachel, hope all goes well for you tomorrow, the time goes quicker than you think, make the most of it !
The thing I most miss at the moment is not being able to drive and relying on OH all the time, he does n't mind but I am so independent.
I don't mind him looking after me though it's nice to be fussed over.
I have been told it takes 6 weeks to recover, so won't be going back to work any time soon, I see your having bi-lateral Mx, any nodes involved? I think 3 weeks may be a little ambitious but depends on your circumstances I suppose.Don't be in a rush it could set you back.
Gooseberrygirl and Lizzy, good luck for Tuesday, I am thinking of you too.

Jean x

harp1970

Hi all

Well done Carole. Hope you continue to recover well

Jean-I'm glad you're recovering well too

Good luck Gooseberry girl for Tuesday

I'm going for pre-op assessment tomorrow, but still have 10 days to wait for op.

Love to everyone

Rachel x

tillybob

Welcome back Carole, pleased all went well for you, make sure you rest now, I am 12 days post op and still sore.Keep up with the exercises I am struggling a little at the moment as I have some cording in my arm which restricts movement.
It seems to be common practice to discharge after 24 hours in our area but I was ok with that anyway.I was quite surprised how little pain I was in after, but its a bit more painful now as the feeling is coming back, but nothing painkillers can't deal with.
Get on with recovering now and be gentle to yourself.
Jean

caroleog

Well thats my mastectomy out of the way on friday now going for the recovery.Wigan Hospital all good from Consultant Mr H ,cancer nurse D and surgeon mr D made it almost a pleasant experience.Home yesterday after less than 24 hours and am surprised at how little pain there is.The drain seems o be the most uncomfortable part but not by much,like a stitch in the rib cage when I move a certain way.
Be brave everyone,He doesn't give you more than you can handle.I feel soooo relieved it's gone.

Carole

gooseberrygirl

Josie I hope all went well with your op, and your now looking forward to getting home to your family, Big Hug. Chin up, My mx on Tuesday, Have very bad pain in left so glad to get rid of the Gremlin inside. Thinking of all you ladies

harp1970

Hi Lizzy-don't know about time off work as I have been off since March due to chemo etc, but am planning to go back 3 weeks after bilateral mx. I think it depends on what your job is. I wasn't able to work through chemo as I am a teacher and there are too many germs in primary schools, but as I don't have to do any lifting I should be okay to go back after op. Be kind to yourself though, and only do what you can xx

Lizzy1977

Hi ladies. I am wondering how much time you have booked off work. I'm having my mastectomy on Tuesday and said that I won't be in until the following Monday but now think I am being a bit unrealistic
Lizzy

tillybob

Sarahlouise how good to hear from you, hope your recovering ok, yes the drains are a real pain are n't they !!!
I am still a bit teary and its 10 days since my op , once you get home it gets better, it's a big operation you've had so be kind to yourself and get some rest,
As you say love and light
Jean xx

sarahlousie

hi ladies had op on mon morning got massive bruising and low bloods so will be in hospital til monday feel ok been a bit teary only when i am on my own stay strong god bless us all. drains are a pain.
luv and light
sarahlousie xxxxx

tillybob

good luck Josie I am thinking of you and all other ladies having surgery today.x

harp1970

Good luck Josie-will be thinking of you today x

Jo_C

Good luck Josie, I hope it all goes well.
Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck Josie1.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladys, having bilatral mastectomy tomorrow and feeling ok not sure why .Maybe because the waiting is over realy dont no , anyway they told me will be in hospital for 3-5 days have brought pro surgery bras from asda as was told there very good after surgery, for the softies they will give me as they have pockets in them and are only £8.00 , anyway thanks ladys will let you no how it went some time next week ,lots of hugs xx must finish packing bag .

Jo_C

Hi Malin, I am near Chelmsford and am having a Mx and immediate recon on 3rd Oct if that helps?

Malin

Hello!
I am also new to this. I'm having bilateral mastectomy and the lymph nodes under right arm out on Tuesday 20. My op will be in the afternoon. They have told me I will be in hospital 3-5 days. Will see if they tell me any more or different at the "pre-admission assessment".
Reading all your comments is lovely! It will definitly help me feel better as my treatment starts and goes on.

Malin
xxx

Ps Anyone living in North-East Essex?

tillybob

Hi Girls, feeling a bit off today, should have been to get results today but they rang to put them back until next week, the district nurse did n't come today because she said they would remove my dressings at the hospital, hoping she comes tomorrow or I'll have them on another day.Arm is feeling quite odd, I think its nerve damage but it's still sore,the exercises are difficult with it .
Aw well tomorrows another day,
hugs to everyone xx
Jean

harp1970

Hi HMDL and everyone else too!

I agree, the emotional side is the hardest. I'm not sure about removing the other breast. I'm having bilateral mx but it's because of 9/10 women in family with BC under age 45. I had to see a counsellor before the surgeon would agree to the surgery but it is now going ahead in 2 weeks' time. Maybe if you express your worries and your surgeon is sympathetic they will do it, but evenn with genetic fault i have had to fight to get it. Good luck whatever you decide.

I am finally free of chemo haze and starting to feel fitter. I'm also feeling happier because I feel better and i can see the light at the end of the tunnel. it feels so good to feel a bit like me before BC. Did 21 lengths swimming again today and it feels good to be doing something positive about keeping fit. Can also play my beloved piano again so life's good for me at the mo.

Glad everyone's doing okay-I'm hoping i recover as well as you all are.

Love Rachel x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi where is everyone? There have been no posts since 13th. I am feeling quite good today day 10 post mx. Saw district nurse this morn and she has helped me emotionally today; I think the emotional side of what we are going through is much bigger than the physical (although dont get me wrong the physical is major too) but emotionally I am finding it more difficult. Have always had large breasts and quite frankly not sorry to see it go. I was wondering if it is possible to have the other one removed as I dont want c coming there as well. Anyone know?

Mellybottles

Hi Ladies
I had my mastectomy on Friday and came out yesterday, although if the docs had read my drain chart properly I would have been out sooner!
Have to say I had no pain after surgery and was brave enough to have a peek at my missing breast whilst in recovery. I have always had big breast 42E and was worried how I would react to my loss but so far I feel fine and really don't want to think about recon and just get back to a near normal as possible life. My comfee is giving me a nice shape and tomorrow I'm taking it out for the first time!

Mel x

caroleog

Thank you Tillybob for your warm welcome.
I live in Rufford but am going to Wigan for my treatment after the mammogram was done in Chorley.I was offered the chance to transfer to Southport and Ormskirk but I was so delighted with the professionalism and speed of attention in Wigan and the wonderful support from the Breast Care nurse called Dawn that I decided to stay with them.
I am delighted that I found this site because the support is very reassuring and there are lots of inspirational women here.Thanks again
Carole

tillybob

Hi girls, hope we are all ok ?

Carole, Welcome to the forums, this is the best place to come to ask for advice, rant or cry, we all know just how your feeling , there's always some one whose going through the same as you or already been there, there's no such thing as a silly question here. Where in the north west are you ?
I have had my chemo at Preston and my breast surgery at Chorley,
I hope your toes are not too bad, I broke 1 toe many years ago and it was agony !I will be thinking of you on Friday,

Rachel, what a lovely thing to say about your mum, I agree with you it's a personal choice at the end of the day,

Lots of love Jean x

harp1970

Hi Lizzy

I'm not having recon either. I know lots of people who have and are very happy with the results but I just want the surgery over with. I may change my mind one day but I don't think I will once I get used to the way I look. I will just be glad to get on with my life. My mum has had bilateral mx (38 years ago) so she was never offered recon, and she is my inspiration. She still looks lovely and with clothes on you would never know! I think it's a very personal choice and everyone has different ideas, but for me I don't fancy the extra surgery and I want as much breast tissue taken away as possible as we have a strong family history of BC (9/10 all under 45)

I'm sure you will make the decision that's right for you. Lots of love
Rachel x

caroleog

Hi All,
This is my first post on this forum and I've my surgery to look forward to on friday of this week.I don't seem very prepared but I'm not worried or concerned about anything .I haven't really had time to worry about anything having only been diagnosed at the beginning of August after a mammogram.I'm having a rt sided mastectomy with expander and removal of the sentinel node.I too am from North West Lancashire and expect to be out on saturday,the day after surgery.Today, however,I helped a delivery man to off load some french windows from his van trying to get jobs at home sorted before the weekend and he dropped it on my feet,breaking two toes.I just hope it doesn't stop my surgery but its sure put paid to me getting on top of jobs before I go in .Bloomin delivery men!!

I wanted to thank everyone who has posted on here.All your comments have been really helpful to me who has only become fully breast cancer aware in the last few weeks

Lizzy1977

Thanks for the tip on the pain relief, I will bear that in mind next week. I've been to see the reconstruction nurse this pm to discuss options before the surgery on Tuesday. I've decided not to bother with a reconstruction now and I was just wondering what your thoughts are on reconstructions. I am only a 32a and may consider having an implant in the future but just want to get the mastectomy over and done with.
glad you're all recovering well. I will let you know how I get on next week

Lizzyxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi its me again. Now day 8 since op, feel ok, but isolated. Had my hosp appt for tomorrow put back a week. I dont know who to talk to my BC nurse told me about appt but that was all. I have had all dressings and drains removed day 3 but still applying padded dressings provided by the hospital (I think they are to stop softie and bra rubbing me) however, do I continue with dressings for another week? If so why did hospital give me so few, I have bought some for myself as I not sure what to do. District nurse been once coming back thurs to give me support after results which will now be another week. I am not alone as have a good family and friends but somehow I feel lonely. Do my ramblings make sense to anyone? I feel totally gutted and let down. Why tell me my results would be back in a week and then cancel. Why not say they take 2 weeks and if they here before then ring and say. Lady who had op with me still going tomorrow.

harp1970

Hi Ddee

Good to hear from you. What a pain about the drains. I'd definitely go to GP for more pain relief. When I was in agony on chemo i rang GP and he prescribed fab pain relief that really helped. My surgeon says that people with effective pain relief can recover quicker, so I would ask for second opinion if i were you. Hope it settles down soon xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi to everyone and the new ladies. Went to the hospital today for appointment with breast care nurse and she drew 220ml of fluid off from under the arm and right chest area. It has reduced the pain a bit but she thinks it will have to be a weekly event for possibly up to six weeks. Paracetamol don't really help when the pains at its worse and the surgeon today said he didn't want me to have any more codeine so would not give me a prescription so I have had to buy some over the counter from the chemist. Am back at hospital on thurs for my full appointment with the surgeon so will challenge him then over the pain relief. Will find out then what treatment plan they recommend. Obviously everyone is different so to all ladies that are awaiting surgery don't let my hiccups worry you too much. I am lucky and have fab support at home so am getting through this one day at a time.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lizzy,

I didn't bother with the reconstruction, just wanted rid of the badness and let myself recover as soon as poss and get out of hospital and back to my kids and my little walks. It is a bit weird when you look down and see the flat side but i'm getting used to the new me, stips covering wound come off wed so I get to see the scar (lovely). I'm finding wearing a bra a bit uncomfy, bit puffy under my arm and numbness over wound site. When you have your clothes on no one is any the wiser. It depends on how you feel. Good luck with your op, be thinking of you xxxx

harp1970

Hi all

Jean-I'm glad you are recovering well and it must be easier now the drains are out. I wish they would let you out that quickly in Shropshire. I've been told I will be in for a week for bilateral mx and node clearance. It will be hard for me as i am a single parent and would much rather be at home with my girls. My Mum is coming to look after them (and me) and doesn't drive so they won't be able to visit me in hospital, and as you say it's much nicer being in your own bed!

Horsemaddoglover-hope you got some sleep in the end
Josie-I'm getting my head around it too. Lots of love x
Tillybob-hope you got the drains out.

Love to everyone I haven't mentioned x

tillybob

Good afternoon girls and welcome to the new girls.
I have finally had my drains removed last night and what a relief !
It's certainly an experience but not really painful.
This morning the nurse has removed the dressing on my wound so it's the first time I have seen it properly, not pretty but not too bad, there is some swelling under the arm and above the breast area but not severe, but it is healing well and that's the main thing.
I am amazed at the different length of stay in hospital for different areas, I live in North West, Lancashire, I was home in less than 24 hours after surgery,and I have had a full Mx and full node clearance.
The district nurses have been giving me care at home, I must admit it is nice to sleep in my own bed and have home comforts, I assume the thinking is that you recover better in your own enviroment .
This forum has been a godsend for me and hope in some small way I can repay in helping others with problems /worries,I have been in active treatment now for 6 months, its a long journey and I still have a way to go,but sharing experiences and making new 'friends' has been a positive thing for me.
Good luck to all waiting surgery,
Jean

oldandlumpy

bumped for hospice

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi this is my first time here. Had my mastectomy last monday 5 Sept. First on the list. Met a lovely lady going through the same next op after me. We helped each other. Drain out after 3 days, 3 month trial in our area. Home last thurs. Now experiencing swelling under my arm and regrowing a cleavage!!!!!!!!! Further results this coming Wed. Cant stand the numb feeling under my arm. Have been fine sleeping quite well however tonight I cant sleep.