September Mastectomy

Hi girls I am having my Mastectomy and full node clearance tomorrow,6th Sept, just wondered if anybody else is having op in the coming weeks ?
Not worried about the surgery but not sure how I will feel when I wake up and see what they have done to me, but it’s got to be done.
Jean.

Hello Jean, just sent you a message, mine is now scheduled for 3rd Oct but not sure if I am having full node clearance yet until I get the results of my SNB which is on Wednesday.
I will be thinking of you tomorrow
Jo
xx

Hi Jean,

I have my mastectomy and node clearance on the 12th Sept mines at 7am in the morning (yeah I know how early is that)!!!, what time is yours?

I’m not too worried about the surgery as just want the offending breast and lump gone, but I am also worried about what I will look like afterwards, also not offered recon because of the secondaries, so no reconstruction for me well not yet anyway, I think they will see how I am after surgery, see how well I heal after that. Anyway as you said jean its got to be done.

Still feeling pretty scared about it all and have shed some tears with fear over this but lots of brave strong women have been through this and I have got to do the same.

Sending you lots of love and light and healing vibes
Sarahlousie
xxxxxxx

I still wish i’d have had the option and get rid, but i’ll have another crack of the wle next week.
Good luck girls :o)

HI JEAN AND SARAH LOUISE

HAD MY MX AND FULL NODE CLEARENCE JAN 2010 - IT HELPS TO JUST CONCENTRATE ON WHAT THEY ARE TAKING AWAY WITH IT - THOSE NASTY BUGS THAT YOU COULD LOOSE YOUR LIFE TOO… PRAY THEY TAKE ENOUGH AND LOVE YOURSELF AFTERWARDS THEN THOSE THAT LOVE YOU WILL FEEL NO DIFFERENT ABOUT YOU… I HAVE NOT HAD RECON YET BUT MIGHT DO. HAVE FAITH IN YOUR SURGEON AND DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD TO RECOVER AFTERWARDS. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS AND BE STRONGER FOR IT. CRY FOR YOUR LOSS SOONER RATHER THAN LATER AS ITS LIKE A BEREAVEMENT. THEN TIME HEALS IT ALL UP AND YOU WILL COPE AGAIN. SO MUCH LOVE AND GENTLE HUGS BEING SENT ONTO YOU BOTH.

LOVE DEE DEE (WAS FOR THE DOUBLE D’S I USED TO HAVE)

Hi Dee Dee,

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom, it really is so encouraging to hear from someone who has gone through this and come out theother side, just reading what you said has made me feel better, thank you so much.
Love and light
Sarahlousie
xxxx

Hi girls,

I had my masectomy and snb on 2nd september, was so scared and now i’m trying to get used to the new me, results back next wed so fingers crossed i don’t need further treatments. I had a small chest so luckily I don’t need to change my wardrobe. The waiting game is such a nightmare and causes you so much anxiety.

Love d xxx

Hi Jean,

You probably wont be reading this for a little while as you will be recovering from surgery, hope all went well and that you are healing ok. My turn next on monday.
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Love and light
Sarahlousiexxxxxx

Hi Sarahlouise, I am back home now, I was in at 7.30am but was last on the list and only went to theatre at 2.00pm I have to say everyone was very nice but I wish I could have stayed in another couple of days, I have 2 drains which I have to check on and empty if needed, the district nurse has been this morning and she was lovely, checked wound and found all ok. I am not in pain now but I am very sore and finding a comfortable position in bed was hard,
All in all it was not as bad as expected, and now the primary has been removed I feel like I am fighting back now, I have had my chemo first so next step will be rads,
Good luck with your surgery.
Thanks to all you other lovely ladies for your replies, it really does help.
Jean xx

Lovely to see you back Jean and glad you aren’t feeling too bad. Xxx

Hi all
Hope you don’t mind me joining you! I’ve had WLE in March followed by 4 months of chemo and am having bilateral mx on 29th September as 9/10 women in mum’s family have had BC at young ages. Not scared of actual surgery just about how I’ll feel after it.
Would be lovely to share experiences with you
Rachel x

Hi ladies, I’m joining you too. Had WLE on 23 Aug and got my results today. Sadly I didn’t get clear margins (but no node involvement) and so they are doing a mastectomy on 20 Sept. I’m not too worried about the surgery but am not sure what to do about a reconstruction. What are you thinking on that front? When i had the WLE i was only in hospital overnight but am not sure how long I will be i for if I have a simple mastectomy with no reconstruction
Lizzy

Hi ladies,

Jean - So pleased to hear that your surgery went well and that you are comfortable. I’ve bought one of those triangular pillows thinking that might help to prop me up and give comfort in bed. Do they always send the district nurse to help out? only I live in such a remote part of Devon certainly a home visit would help.

Lizzy1977 - I’ve also had chemo first 6 months and on monday mx with lymph node removal they told me I would be in for 2 nights all being well, I am having a simple mx with no recon. as mine has spread they would not offer me a recon because they dont want to stress my body out anymore than it needs to be. They might offer me a recon. at a later date, see how i am going but not yet.

Harp1970 - Ditto I am the same as you not worried about the actual surgery but how I will feel after, although its good that jean has commented post op cause she sounds like shes doing fine and we will too. PM me anytime you feel you would like to talk.

Hello all ladies who have already had their mx this month. I had a right mx on the 2nd and was amazed at the similarity with tillybob. I went in at 7.30 and was due first but they lost my pre med papers so was moved to last and didn’t go to theatre until after 2pm. The wait was agony. The op went well but the anaesthetic caused very low blood pressure and I had to stay in hosp until weds 7th. I had two drains which were removed prior to coming home. Its so good to be home. I am not really in pain just uncomfortable. But still have low BP so got to take it careful and slow. The comments on these forums have been very helpful and supportive. Next appointment is 15th When i find out how much chemo and rads I need. Ddee

Hi ladies

It’s very encouraging for those of us waiting for surgery to see how well those of you who have had it already are doing. I’m trying to get fitter before surgery as chemo has really knocked the stuffing out of me. I swam 8 lengths yesterday so was quite pleased but my legs are agony this morning!!!

Hope everyone’s having a good day today
Rachel x

Hello girls. I am just checking in to see how everyone is doing and let you know how I am feeling today, to be honest I am a little low today not because I am in pain, although I am still uncomfortable,I think it has just hit me that I have lost my breast, I can’t have recon just yet as I am having Rads as soon as I am healed enough. I know I will get through this, today is just a bad day and if we don’t have bad days we can’t appreciate the good days !!
The district nurse has been to check my drains, I will be so glad to get them out they are a pain! Maybe tomorrow ,Fingers crossed.

Sarahlouise, I was allowed home after 24 hrs and the district nurse calls everyday until the drains are removed,as far as I know.
DeeDee, thanks for your message I can relate to all you have said and am taking your advice.I too am a DD lady, so am feeling a little lop-sided at the moment.
Best wishes to all,
Jean.x

Hello Ladies, I am joining you on the September list booked in on the 20th, thought I was in for double but right turned out to be begnin. Having left Mastectomy with full node clearance now and then Chemo and Rads, still feel shell shocked.

Hi Gooseberrygirl, welcome to our little group,I was also in your position at the start of this but I was told the right breast was just fibrous tissue but for a while I was worried.You will be shell shocked at the moment, I had 7 months to come to terms with my MX as I had chemo first, It doesn’t make it easier, but I know how your feeling.
The 20th will come round quicker than you know so make the most of the time to get organised, I am pretty much doing nothing at the moment, it’s not easy but the recovery demands it.
Be kind to yourself
Jean.

Hi and welcome to our group all the new ladies due for MX,

Gooseberrygirl, I think Jean has said everything I would say and of course you are shell shocked, I have my Mx and node clearance on Monday and up until this week I have managed to keep everything together, staying positive, happy (sort of), but this week and the run up the the surgery have been the worst except that coming on here and finding that others are going through exactly the same thing and that everyone understands what your going through makes it all doable.

Tillybob and DDee438 -How you doing Jean? hope you are doing fine, and everything is on the mend. DDee438 how are you doing? have either of you ladies got any advice on what to take into hosptial? as you know I’m going into hospital on monday and am pretty scared at the moment been fine up until today. Also did either of you take any supplements with you into hosptial? only I’m taking quite a lot of herbal supplements (onc knows).

Sending love, light and crystal healing to all who have had surgery
sarahlousie xxxxxxxxx
P.S. will post a note on the complementary threads about crystal healing if you are interested.

Hi Sarahlouise, I am fine today, yesterday was a bad day, still sore but more mobile, the exercises are important so make sure you do them !
As far as taking things to hospital, I was told to take only a sponge bag with usual toiletries, a dressing gown and slippers. I also took button fronted PJs , I thought, and was right ,that putting my bad arm through a tee shirt top would be difficult. However I never put them on as I stayed in the theatre gown for the duration of my stay,which was only overnight, I have since worn them and been glad that I bought them.
The drains are the worst part of this, I am still waiting for the nurse to come and hopefully remove them today.
I will be thinking of you on Monday and hope all goes well, the waiting is the worst,before you know it you’ll be home recovering. I have not taken any supplements as I take enough prescribed tablets.
Jean.