375565posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September Sizzlers

Tweasel

Re: September Sizzlers

I had my last session today - woo hoo 🙂  I thought I would feel happy, or relieved maybe, but strangely I just feel a bit flat. My Mum treated me to lunch to celebrate, so that was lovely. So far my skin is fine, just a bit pink. The radiographer said that any effects can still appear for up to 2 weeks, but so far so good. Hope all you lovely ladies are doing ok xx

Maria_B

Hi ex August people.  Wanted to update on my side effects etc.  I am 9 days after finishing my 50 Gy in 25 sessions.  Tiredness peaked 2 days after I finished, but since then I've felt better every day.  Only meant to go back to work a week later on half days, but actually haven't. I've been nearly full time.  Skin is still hot, pink and blotchy like a pomegranate and peeling just under my armpit,   Starting to get brown. Feeling good x. Good luck to all you sizzlers. 

familytree

Yes Jill always had a nap when I got home. You're right about that moment they walk out of the room...Hey ho it's curing us hopefully but a very stressful and emotional ride x
mf

They told me the tiredness hits a couple of hours after rads but it varied for me - sometimes it was immediate and sometimes much later. It's 16 days since I finished but I am still really tired. My goal was to do a 25-min walk every day but I haven't even managed that the past two days. Just daily living - shopping, cooking, washing, kids, visiting mum in nursing home - is all I can manage. I honestly don't know how I managed to work full time!
Jill1998
Community Champion

My boob is fluorescent today!!!Rash settled down after stopping E45 cream.I feel totally exhausted for a few hours after each session, did other people feel like that?
familytree

I must look anti social I never spoke to anyone but an old woman who bless her was on her own and shaving to stay in hospital accommodation . To top that she had to wear one of those vile masks as her tumour was behind her eye. She was so nervous it was heart breaking. I offered to stay with her. Get her some food for her room that evening. X
Jill1998
Community Champion

That lonely few minutes when they all leave the room and the noise comes on to say you are being radiated .....that really makes you think about what is happening.I have met many people in far far worse situations than me, it is a difficult place to visit every day even though staff and other people are chatty and as cheerful as they can be.
tweeks123

Your right Lorna was same for me rafs a doddle but sinks in what your really there for wjen you get on thay table plus seeing and chatting to all the people you meet in waiting room x
christine x
familytree

Lol mf.. funny. Yes nothing goes on in review besides how are you etc. Rads are the easiest part in my opinion though the place itself, despite being pleasant made me sad....it kind of sunk in more there I had cancer than anywhere else. I felt sorry for everybody in there.. X
mf

Hi Blondie. My reviews involved going into an office after rads and being asked by a review radiographer how I felt and what to expect re tiredness, soreness etc., eg she suggested I tuck a man's handkerchief in my bra (chance would be a fine thing!). She drew me a diagram of the area being treated and the angles of the beams, which was quite helpful. I also had a moan re Letrozole side effects, but to be honest she looked more knackered than me!
Blondie223

Woke up with quite bad stabbing searing pains in my boob this morning, made worse when I moved, and boob is hot and pink.

In the upside, I had rads session nine today, so just six to go x

Also have my review meeting in the morning, anyone already had one and know what is entailed? Had another image/xray(?) taken on the table today, apparently so they could check that I was still being zapped in the right position?

Blondie223

Hi Monica, I had a holiday a few weeks ago, post surgery but pre rads, cost me £33 for a week's cover with InsuranceWith x

manathu

Thank you so much for your reply. Really helpful

Jill1998
Community Champion

Monica I have had a different male student in the room every day,you do get used to it but it is alot less uncomfortable when you are being manhandled by a woman.I am glad my appointments are now early morning as hanging around for the tea time ones was a nuisance.
Jill1998
Community Champion

See you on the 7th for a tea cake Julie Im there at 9.15,tell your Mum not to buy all the cards I haven't chosen mine yet I've just been "browsing"!!!
Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you had a good holiday Sharon and that you are feeling better.Poldark has been quite lazy and Ive had complaints, I will send Bradley I've finished with him for today.
Sharnie

There is light at the end of the tunnel - I know it doesn't feel like it but you do get there! Monica I had travel insurance with our bank, gave them a ring and told them everything and they just excluded breast cancer which I think can be taken off after a couple of years. As far as I was concerned nothing was going to happen in a week and if I found a lump or anything I would be able to wait till I got home. I have read on other threads on here that euro tunnel are good for travel insurance. I would recommend a holiday - it's certainly done me some good, nice to have a week away, not having to do the usual mundane things! 

tweeks123

morning julie
foot is still sore still in flip flops but getting there still cant get shoes on one week later.went to pysio with shoulder yeaterday she explained why they wont do injection due to lynthnoids..said have another word with Dr.hogg oncologist..give me some exercisea to do.rang BN about fluid on boob still not budgeting with massaging it she gonna send me appointment for lynthadademia clinic..just has I thought my appointments was getting to thee end..apart from that im on top of the world now back to my self.got my daughter off to secondary school today.life getting back to normal now just need get thos foor sorted the back to work for me ..good luck with rads hope your mum manages to buy some nice cards ;0) .
and Sharon well done enjoying the sun no probs I would kill for a holliday before I went back ti work..when I used to hear people say they feeling back to normal I used to think I will never feel that but yea im getting there..yes light at thee end of the tunnel x
christine x
manathu

My appointsments have also been late afternoon so you are hanging about. Normally I'm in and out quite quickly but yesterday I waited nearly an hour. Hope it's better today. Also I usually have two female radiographers but yesterday because of the backlog I went into the room where the men usually go & I had two men looking after me. They were very nice & if I'd been 20 years younger I might have enjoyed the experience but as it was I just felt very uncomfortable . Just me being silly.

manathu

Hi Sharon Did you take out travel insurance? I would like to go on holiday early next year but I have heard horror stories  about the prices ins companies charge.

Monica

Aura

Glad you had a good holiday Sharon .Im desperate for one , it's good to hear your back exercising and off to work means there is light at the end of the tunnel .
Jill have you found any more soveriers to add to your collection I'm taking my mum with me later to rads she thinks it's a day out for her plus she wants to buy her Christmas cards !! From the hospital , my next morning appointment is Monday the 7 th dong like these afternoon ones feels like I'm just wasting my day waiting to go . hope every one is doing fine on rads or just trying to get back to normal . Ps how's the foot Christine . Xx
Sharnie

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. I had a lovely holiday and no problems with boob! Kept in the shade first couple of days but then sunbathed as normal, slapped on lots of factor 50 and if boob felt hot covered up my bikini with a shirt. It was very hot even at night! I'm feeling much better in myself now and think the tamoxifen is out of my system now. Got to pick up new prescription this week- Letrozole so will see how I get on with that. Am off for a bone scan next week, just when you think you've finished with hospital appointments you get another! Sleeping is still a problem, didn't take any sleeping pills while I was away as you're not meant to have alcohol with them and I did want to have a couple of drinks! I still have a mountain of ironing to do, so can you send someone round please Jill! Went back to my boot camp fitness class last night - good to see everyone again. It was hard and my legs are aching but I managed to do the whole class ok. On another note I hardly had any hot flushes while I was away and I wonder if eating lots of tomatoes helped - just remember reading on here tomato juice was good for hot flushes! Hope you all are getting through rads now and not having too many side effects. Bye for now, off to work later, Sharon xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

We are just beginning to get the hang of "Christine speak "!!!
tweeks123

Ha my spelling not getting any better maybe next month lol x
christine x
Jill1998
Community Champion

I can throw my boob( or bood ) over my shoulder, maybe I should try that!!!!
tweeks123

Hi nappinggirl
I was the same its hard to keep it dry underneath to get fresh air to it unless you lay on the bed with ur bra off and bood thrown over your shoulder its a difficult one really mi e broke out afyer rads had antibiotic cream then it was right but I used to put a dry pad under bra I even startes wearing my br I side out so no seams was rubbing agaist it x
christine x
Jill1998
Community Champion

We don't have a bell either,I am still thinking of having a bra burning ceremony!!!
familytree

Hi Val...the first few are the worst on anxiety front but it gets easier. Welcome to September everyone...we're all movingforward! So in be behind us all God willing x
Jill1998
Community Champion

NP just think by this weekend you will be free!!!!!
newey47

thanks ladies for all your kind words and support, I appreciate it and look forward to chatting with you.

Val xxx

nappinggirl

21 down, 4 to go.

Jill, I had a bad reaction to E45 too, only used it once, I suppose with our skin being so sensitive anyway, anything is likely to cause a reaction.  I'm sticking to the aloe vera as it has been ok for me.  Boob is very sore now underneath where my bra rubs on it so I now have a trainer sock stuffed underneath...honestly, you couldn't make it up!

I love the whole bell idea, every hospital should have one!  Good luck this week everyone xx

tweeks123

Hello september ! Goodby August lets get ourselfs back to recovery and onwards and upwards ladies x
christine x
Blondie223

Hi Jill, thanks, reassuring to know once again on this lovely forum that I'm not alone in my feelings/responses to things, that will help me greatly tomorrow I'm sure x

Oh Val, I was lucky not to have chemo, I'm sure rads is nothing in comparison, and as Jill says, will be over in three weeks x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Val ,rads should be a walk in the park compared to chemo,just lie back think of something nice and get blasted for a few minutes.Its is tiring and most people get a bit of a sore boob but 3 weeks and you will be done .
newey47

Hi Jill, yes it was a bit daunting and strange.  But wasnt as bad as I thought, in and out fairly quickly.  After chemo anything is better believe me 

Val xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Blondie,I went back with sweaty palms,IBS and palpitations this morning if that makes you feel any better !!!I was really getting into the swing last week but 3 days off led to me feeling quite anxious again.Julie and Blondie you will both finish day before me.
newey47

hi Blondie

Having 15 in all, they said 25 at first then changed it thank goodness lol.  Had left Mx in March, 6 chemo FEC T - so compared to that this seems a much better end to it all.  Although followed by 10 years letrazole - not looking forward to that bh

Val xx

x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Val,welcome.The first one is quite daunting isn't it,they do get much ,much quicker.I was in and out before my appointment time this morning .Tiredness and side effects kicked in after about 5 sessions for me.
Aura

Hi ladies well srptembers here , Just on my way for rads . Then anouther one crossed off boob red but not to bad it's this tierdness , good job iv gone on the sick again from work .hope you are all ok plus we have a new thread . Julie x
Blondie223

Hi Val, good to get the first session done with, at least now you know what to expect each day.

How many are you having? x

newey47

Hi all, please may I join you, I started TODAY......lol, all went ok, not as bad as I feared....I did join the other September group too, all advice and support is always welcome.

Val xxxx

Blondie223

Yes Jill, I now have more sessions behind me than in front, yay!

Kind of good news eh about the rash, least that means it won't necessarily get worse x

Blondie223

I had my eighth session this morning, and after a three day break I was back on high anxiety again, having relaxed into it a bit by the end of last week, hope that settles down again and I can stop the muscle spasms in my shoulder blades.

Had a tears moment too when another lady rang the bell in the waiting area to signify finishing her treatment and everyone clapped, such a feeling of camaraderie 😪

I have pins and needles in my hand too, hoping that's not a sign of any developing Lymphodema? 

I look look like such a whinger reading that back, I'm actually feeling not bad today, hope everyone had a good bank hol weekend xxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Radiographer thinks my itchy rash could be reaction to the lanolin in the E45.Going to go cold turkey for a couple of days .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hello September,just started hailing here so Autumn is on it's way !Tomorrow I will have more sessions of radiotherapy behind me than ahead of me yippee ,I am starting to see the light at the end of the treatment tunnel, oh apart from 10yrs of Tamoxifen!!!!
Blondie223

September Sizzlers

Hi All, some of us started rads in Aug and are continuing into Sep, so we thought we'd have a new thread. There is already a "starting mid Sep" thread, but we've already started. As always though on this lovely haven of support, all welcome to join in of course x