Seroma advice please.

Anyone about?
This is my third in as many weeks. Last one aspirated 6 days ago, and needs doing again as I can’t put my arm down deside my hip.
Question is, should I wait? I’m having more surgery on thursday and would like my surgeon to see it before she gets to work in theatre. I wonder if she can do something to help. But, it’s almost a 30 mile round trip that I can do without, but the blooming thing aches.

Hi Elttiks
I have not had a seroma but I suggest that you should phone if you are in pain. It will probably get worse before Thursday if you don’t act now
Lizz xx

That’s what i’m thinking Biff. Doh!

It was sent to try…

can’t they get someone to drain it for you at home?. I have a seroma on my back and I know how uncomfortable they can be. If you are in discomfort, you need to get it sorted before surgery

A 30 mile round trip is not much fun. My hospital is only a couple of miles away but taxis have cost me a fortune. Can’t wait until I can drive again!

Nearest is down the road, but i’m having sugery two hospitals away due to facillities.
Bcn I saw last week lives in my town and suggested maybe we could meet after she finishes work on her way home, but what’s the betting I don’t egt to speak to her on the phone. I should ask, shouldn’t I?
It really is making things hard. Blooming blob!

Poor you. I had a recurring seroma in my back after surgery (mx & LD recon) and after three weeks my plastic surgeon prescibed a steroid injection which fixed it for good. Not sure if this would be feaible pre-surgery but might be afterwards.

I was also told that if it ever got painful between weekly appointments to call in and get it drained … luckily I live near the hospital. So I would agree phone them and get someone to drain it for you.

I’ll make a call tomorrow. They’ll say, ‘it’s that woman again!’

Hey-Ho.

It’s their job to be there for you !!!

My problem is slightly different. I have a couple of seromas but the one on my boob is the problem as it keeps reopening the wound and all draining out that way. It has done that 3 times now and the leaking can last up to 6/7 hours. It has done it again tonight and the horrible brown fluid went all over my new blouse and skirt, which I had put on to go to church, and over the sofa. Ive padded it up with a big dressing, with extra cotton wool pads to soak it up and am hoping that will last the night.As it is I cant sleep cause of other pain anyway, which is why I am typing this at 2am.I hope the rest of you are sleeping soundly.
Sue

Do phone, but if you decide not to make the round trip (and you are the only one who can balance the pain against the inconvenience), you could try cold packs/frozen peas to numb the area (just not directly on bare skin) and a cushion under your arm. It’s probably too late to find the crescent or heart shaped pillows that are available some places, but any small cushion might help, especially if you can pin on a strap or ribbon to hold it in place.

Those flexible blue/silver freezer packs for lunches and first aid are good coolers, if you wrap them in something; lots of people use packs of peas (but mark them so no one eats them if they thaw), or a wet flannel in a sandwich bag which you chill in the freezer or fridge will all help.

I had lots of trouble with seroma following surgery as well, and still have some thanks to chemo and especially rads, just not so much. I wish I’d known about the cooler scarf that OAL posted about at the time of the ops last year, because I’d have got one then. I might even get one now, as I have occasional hot flushes and feel too warm more easily than I once did.

Good luck, and good luck with the next op.

Blob huge! Call made, but no one there. Going to be a long week I feel.

Had mx 11th Aug since removal of drains 15th Aug have had 6 drain sessions each tine producing bout 250mls,fortunately hospital only 20 mins drive away,now seem able to last 8 days.MY BCN says it is the best part of her job because she produces an immediate result,not enjoying being a pin cushion:)
xxMavis

Blob is still here!
They’ll aspirate it tomorrow so thats 15 miles each way, and guess what? The following morning, back again for surgery.

Holy mackeral!

Sorry to hear about the seroma. I had a similar situation also with a 30 mile round trip and I couldn’t drive then so I was reliant on my husband taking time off work or my lovely neighbours. I seemed to need to go into hospital nearly every week with one problem or another during my treatment.

Now that’s becoming a distant memory. The seroma took quite a while to resolve and I found it hard to believe it would ever dry up but it did eventually. They are horribly uncomfortable and I was so relieved when it finally stopped coming back.

I hope the surgery goes well for you and the seroma problem resolves quickly. Hang in there! Elinda xx

Hi

I too have have problems with seromas, the first one I got 2 weeks after the op became infected, yum. Now I have one in my breast and another smaller infection which is delaying chemo. Given that so many people have problems with them it’s funny that there doesn’t seem to be more you can do to stop them or help once they’re there. I was told off by my bcn for using a bag of peas the first time round…even though I said I’d used a towel around them so it wasn’t against my skin. she was worried I’d damage the skin I suppose because I was still numb from the op… But it really helped I must say!

I had the one on my side drained but they don’t want to drain the one in the breast in case it damages the tissue expander. I think the expander caused the infection - it seemed to start around the portal to it. I think there are a few problems with the expanders and if I could have had all the recon done at the same time I would have.

I feel very sorry for you elltiks, it really gets you down doesn’t it? I too asked for advice on the forum but I don’t think there’s anything except draining.

Alison

Thanks girls :o)
I’m really suprised it’s not burst by now. I’m going to ask my surgeon tomorrow if she can get a plumber to put in an outside tap for me, so I can give it a little fiddle every day :o)

Hi ladies,

It’s interesting reading your seroma stories - I’m sorry some of you have been through the mill though.

I had my mx on 5th August and the Radiotherapy ladies wouldn’t tattoo me for my radiotherapy because of my seroma. I had a job organising for it to be drained (bad communications in the breast clinic). It was eventually drained on Friday and the surgeon filled 17 x 60ml syringes. I had my tatts done the same day. The relief after was amazing but, but Monday it was coming back and by Monday pm I had a temperature, the aches and shivers, in other words a nasty infection. The antibees are beginning to kick in but I’m very reluctant to have it drained again.

Have any of you started or had your rads yet? and how did you get on if you had a seroma?

Hi all

I had and mx and LD flap recon in Jan, following which I got a seroma on my back that had to be drained several times and was becoming a drag.

Suddenly thought about arnica tabs - I’ve used arnica tablets and cream (homeopathic remedy) for years. Tablets for shock after accidents, major trauma, help relieve the stiffness of unusual physical exertion. Cream for more localised bruising.

Became convinced of its benefits when I took it before and after having 3 wisdom teeth out under general anasthetic 20yrs ago (with hosp permission). My case was quite severe - x-rays made them raise their eyebrows. Operated on by the same team that did all the others that morning and I had hardly any swelling or bruising - compared to some that looked like blue hamsters.

I read the leaflet and it said it could reduce fluid build up round joints and so gave it a go. Started taking it the morning of a drainage session - 200ml removed - continued for a week and a half after - no further build up! Could be coincidental - seromas can just resolve themselves.

WARNING - if are thinking of trying the tablets ensure you check with your consulant 1st - while they are available in the supermarket here, the Americans seem to think they can be highly dangerous! Although I didn’t…

Dx

Mine was drained yesterday, but felt different this time. The scar was hot and hard last night.
I normally can go a week. Surgeon drained it again in theatre this morning, about 20 hours after the last time. IV anti b’s on board too, scar quite red. I’ll let it run it’s course - I hope!