cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seroma and lst year mammo

8 REPLIES 8
Spangles67

Re: Seroma and lst year mammo

I had a lumpectomy last October, followed by rads in December.  After the op, I had a seroma drained twice.  It's never completely gone away and when I saw the oncolgist for follow up in February, she said it would drain naturally but could take some time.  I still have it and also can feel slight pulling when I exercise, which may be scar tissue.

rubycat

Hello Di

Ooohhh, that really sounds awful & painful, but glad you seem on the mend now.  I'm not a great exerciser, but last year just after rads was doing a lot of pilates & aquarobics - and also felt chest really hurting.  Dr said to stop exercising as not given it enough time to heal - even though was 4 months after ops & just be really gentle & very slow getting back into it.  Trouble is every time I've tried to since my chest hurts again - but as an exercise phobic I've quite happily not done any, although think it is time to try swimming again!  Perhaps rowing is putting quite a strain on that area if you've only finished in Jan.  Am just back from having seroma drained & result, already feel softer and no tennis ball, hope that continues.  Radiologist did say lots of fibrous tissue as well, but that's no worry, so just onto my first year mammo on Weds & she also said all looks ok from ultrasound, so less to worry about there.  Onwards and upwards.

didi

hi christine

i know exactly what you mean, i had seroma after my op last sept, had it drained once which possibly caused an infection and it swelled up again but this time also came up in a blister/abscess which continuely burst !!!! not nice So i can see why they try & leave it alone 

after 4 weeks and Rads delayed my consultant finally opened it up and packed it !! finally healed enough for Rads & finished end of January

been ok,  energy levels getting back to normalish but 2 weeks ago my boob started hurting again and I could feel fluid forming ... a bit demoralising to say the least .. can only put it down to exercise on a rowing machine !!

hope your drainage & mammagram goes well

Di x

rubycat

Ha Jill!!

Thank you Sue, now feeling much more positive. Yes, good idea to take some painkillers.  I'm glad your mammo was good  news  - 2 days very efficient as it's always the waiting that gets to us.  Really want the seroma gone as I've constantly been aware of it and want it gone so I can forget why I had it in the first place!!!

Christine

susu

Hi there, I had quite a large seroma after my surgery last March, a squashed orange is how I'd desribe it! Was told they wouldn't drain it due to the risk of infection. It had started to reduce but then came back during radiotherapy. It was drained for testing at that time but reappeared the next day. I had my first year mammo in January which had been brought forward from the end of march because they wanted to do an ultrasound on the seroma sooner rather than later. Apart from some pain during the tests (I took cocodamol 20 minutes before my appoiitment time) all was well and I got my official results 2 days later. The seroma is still there now but is not painful or causing any worry so I guess it will just sit there? All the best with your mammos. Take care  Sue x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yeh,I've spoken to lots of people cats and dogs over the last 10 months !!!
rubycat

Thank you so much for your reply Jill, you've put my mind at rest to know that a seroma can feel solid.  Well, why didn't it get drained straight after my ops?? I can't really answer that as every time I saw BCN/onc I always mentioned it, they poked and prodded.  BCN said 'probably scar tissue'. I feel I made such a fuss with the onc that she gave me the ultrasound just to shut me up, then when the seroma was found in Oct she said not to do anything with it due to danger of infection!  Now BCN organised the draining due to the mammo on Weds & that any infection is dealt with by antibiotics. Humph.  Still, now going in for draining on Monday with a much lighter heart. Big hugs to you and glad you're going to your mammo as well, even though it does feel a bit daunting, much better to be through the other side.

Christine

(Ruby is my lovely muted tortieshell pussycat, draped over my feet and getting completely in the way at the moment!!)

Jill1998
Community Champion

My seroma was quite solid actually,I guess you won't know til they try and drain it ? I felt si much better after they drained mine(twice ).Di t know why they haven't suggested doing it before for you ?
rubycat

Seroma and lst year mammo

Hello helpful ladies, getting my knickers in a right painful twist.  My first year mammo is on Weds and I have to have a seroma drained on Monday.  Have had this b seroma since my two WLE last April, kept telling BCN, but 'oh, its just scar tissue, don't worry'.  Then in Oct, Onc wanted an ultrasound, which showed 4cm seroma, but she said to leave it as 'nothing to worry about', even though I told her it was sore and irritating.  Saw BCN last month who said 'ooh, that's going to hurt at the mammo'.  Then I'm put onto the PIFU base (basically, don't bother us again) & given a Macmillan Moving Forward course.  Person who runs that phoned, talking to her said seroma hurts and worried about mammo.  Thought that was it, then BCN phoned to say need to get seroma drained.  Sorry about all this unnecessary twaddle I'm blathering on about.  My main point is that my seroma is a rock solid tennis ball, not swishy swashy at all, and never has been.  Surely the radiologist could tell difference between seroma and scar tissue.  I'm getting worried that prodding at my boob on Mon, is there anything actually to drain?? I thought a seroma was always squishy.