Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seroma or hernia following DIEP

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
GMT

Re: Seroma or hernia following DIEP

Hi, been for dressings appt., had some fluid aspirated, I was starting to resemble a water bed! As well as my pants , I've now got a very large piece of tubigrip on. Oh and a nipple splint to stop the new nipple collapsing ! Such a glamorous business. The incision was about 6 inches, right in the middle of my old scar. I was thinking about where you said yours was, it seems quite a distance from your Diep tummy scar and if it was an incisional hernia I would have thought it would be nearer the incision. That said, I'd never heard of an incisional hernia till I got this, so I'm certainly no expert! Just hoping for you it's a capsulated seroma. Fingers crossed it turns out to be the lesser in terms of your recovery and getting back to normal. My ps suggested I'd been doing too much exercise but told him due to having been like this since last November I had not returned to pilates etc for fear of making it worse. I walk quite a lot and fairly quickly but my running days are well and truly over. All the best,
Gaynor x

GMT.....so,not on my own!!you have been through it as well.....My dread will be having to wait this 18 weeks.I am hoping in a way it is seroma,as I think they will want to sort it out.BUT,if hernia,it is preventing me from doing so much,e.g.yoga,Pilates,swimming,all which I love.
Am seeing my GP this afternoon,so I will get her advice as well.......when I get my date for my scan,and subsequent diagnoses,will feel better.
I am certainly interested in the pants,though my bump is just under my ribs ,above my new tummy button.Have a binder they use got the post op DIEPs and a waist reducer from Debenhams.....!
Please let me know how you get on.....hard to keep smiling at times,isn't it?
GMT

Hi, my plastic surgeon did the hernia repair and put new mesh in. Like you, I feel it just goes on and on. I was diagnosed in Feb 2012 so would like it all to end now. I did have my nipple done as well last week so at least that felt like I was getting something out of the ops! I ordered some hernia pants once I was diagnosed with the hernia. They were from a company called Supportx and you can get them on the NHS. You can have up to 3 prescriptions and my gp let me have the 3. They are like shape wear pants, just a bit firmer. They come out and do a fitting so they can custom make them. My op was also cancelled the week before, I waited in the admissions lounge for 5 hours before they cancelled me. I had gone to the wire of the 18 week target to get op done so they had to do it last week. If your consultant suggests you try compression garments or binder as you are doing at the moment before he puts you on the list, ask him if it will realistically make any difference. I feel I've waited nearly a year for something that didn't get any better on its own. For the last few months I have had to wear my pants as it was uncomfortable not to. I've got some fluid build up now as didn't have a drain this time, but it is quite soft and wobbly so think it is just fluid and not something he couldn't get back in! Don't know if this helps but my belly looked a bit like a frog belly! Most of the swelling seemed below my scar but I had quite a high scar but it was also putting pressure higher up and I seemed to get pain by my new tummy button.Hope you get it sorted soon. Let me know how you get on. I've got a dressings appt on Thursday so will see incision for the first time, at this point not sure how long it is. I'll keep you posted!
Gaynor x

Thankyou for replying .You have had a hard time of it.I am wearing a binder,makes no difference at all.I am certainly not getting smaller,and last night it actually ached,so put on my binder.Until I get my scan,I will not know what it is.Feels very hard and look about 4/5 mother pregnant.
Am getting very fed up as it is now 17 months since biopsy,diagnoses,mastectomy...bilateral and 8 lots of surgery with implants going wrong.DIEP, I hoped would have been the last operation.Will call BCN tomorrow to chase scan.
Was the surgeon a plastic surgeon,did he do your op or were you referred? Just hope I don't go on a waiting list...would love to be sorted by Christmas,but,haven't got cancer now,and they were all fabulous while having all my other surgeries.
Take care.
GMT

Not sure if this will help or not. I had a tram flap recon last August and noticed that my stomach had started to bulge by November. Consultant saw more in December but said it was still settling down. In March I asked to see him again and he thought it was perhaps a hernia and should wear compression pants for 3 months. Finally on 15th July he said it was a hernia and put me on the list. I had my op last Wednesday, an incisional hernia and had come on here today to see if anyone else had experienced this. I didn't have a seroma after original op and I did everything I was supposed to do. My stomach felt quite hard and felt like I could push my insides back in. When I lay down the bulge would go but if lifted my head could see my insides push out. My recon was different from yours in that I had one half of my 'six pack ' muscle removed which does cause a weakness and can lead to a hernia. I feel I've had to wait a long time to get to this point and things did not really change from December, except only get bigger. Hope this helps. X

Seroma or hernia following DIEP

Had DIEP 4 months ago.Had seroma and was drained,twice.However,last trip to the hospital, some 3 weeks ago,tummy had got very swollen and hard.Awaiting CT scan,and Dr.thought it may be capsulated seroma or hernia.Has anyone had this happen to them,and if so,what was the outcome?Further surgery was mentioned.Now uncomfortable and sometimes a bit painful.