Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaving the hair off

11 REPLIES 11
Lucy_BCC

Re: Shaving the hair off

Hi all
Here's a link to the BCC Headstrong support service which Kay has mentioned :

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/talks-courses-local-support/hair-loss-advi...

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

kitten_mad

I just washed mine in the shower without anything. I did rub Olive oil on it though afterwards just a small amount on the palm of my hand and massaged it  - the BP kind not cooking kind!  Almond oil or baby oil would do equally well - it does help to stimulate the hair follicles. I found it very cold without hair and wore a hat in the house and sometimes in bed too. I loved my wigs and hated all my scarves - I do think that everyone is different though and copes in their own. It also depends on what time of year you are going through it all too. Once it had been shaved the pain disappeared and it was actually a relief. If you are having FEC and move on to a different drug it does start to grow back whilst you are still having treatment.

Take care

K M x

kay73

Hi alice
Have you been for a head strong session ? They gave me great advice on scalp care, gentle perfume free shampoo with no parabens !
They also give some really lovely ideas for scarf tying, adding bracelets and hair bands to make them prettier ! I use two stretchy pearl and diamanté bracelets wrapped around under the bow ! Looks pretty !
My scalp stopped hurting the moment it had all fallen out and has been fine since ! I started using e45 which was too thick, so I'd recommend a lighter cream if you need it, I've not needed any for a while and my scalp is fine and the hair is growing thicker by the day 🙂 good luck with the rest of your treatments it'll all I've finished in the blink of an eye ! Mine flew by x
Mariecay

Hi Alice.
I've gotta be honest the scalp feels so much better once it's shaved. I went for a grade 3 and left it to do its thing. I've been using sanex to wash my scalp last few days and also used e45. So far so good.
Marie x
poemsgalore

Hi Alice,

once your hair has stopped falling out,the soreness will go away. When my hair was about half gone, OH shaved the rest off (very carefully) and I washed my head with Aqueous cream, which soothed it. After that I just gave it a quick wipe with a damp clloth. Normal bodywash should be fine in the shower, also use a little E45, or whatever you use normally to keep the skin moisturised. If you are going out bald headed in the sun (when it gets warmer of course) use a high factor sun screen, just as you would on the rest of your body. 

poemsgalore xx

alice45

Despite trying the cold cap with FEC1 my hair is now (day 19) falling out fast. I bought a nice wig yesterday and await my order from Anabandana, so am prepared, but suddenly realised I don't know what to do with this strange new physical feature of a bald head!

What do you do with it - wash it in the shower? With what - ordinary body wash or a special soap?

Does it stay very sensitive (it is at the moment as the hair comes out)? Do you use a moisturizer on it?

Any advice from those who are already dealing with this would be very welcome.

Mariecay

Hi Kay thanks for your reply. I can't seem to get on with anything on the head 😕 it all feels uncomfortable! Plus I have been suffering from hot flushes for the last 2 weeks, apparently due to the chemo! So having a cold head is wonderful lol 🙂 x
kay73

Sorry ! Hair fell out second week of November don't know how August got on there, blame the chemo brain lol 🙂
kay73

Probably is bit late now but I have some jersey beanies I bought from Anna bandana to help capture the hair, mine was still 4-5 inches and drove me mad ! I had two cuts before that 15 inches and 7 inches.
They've also kept my head warm at night ! Anna bandana online about £2 each 🙂
I started chemo and lost my hair in exactly two weeks, just had my last chemo today and my hair is growing thick and fast it started about three weeks ago ! It's came out 2nd week of August so was nt bald for all that long !
Good luck x
Mariecay

Thanks Monica, I'll probably just leave it then x
MonicaB

Hi Mariecay,

I went to a Macmillan centre and they buzzed my hair down to a number 2 for me - very short.

They said that they would not take it down any further because of risk of infection. They fitted my wig for me after that, so I went out looking fine.

It shed very quickly for me after FEC1, so there was no hair to bother me after that.

I would be wary about infection, expecially if you have already had a chemo cycle - but I'm sure others will be along to share how they dealt with it at the time.

good luck with everything Mariecay.

Mariecay

Shaving the hair off

Hi just a little advice please...I've shaved my hair to a grade 3 but it's driving me mad still shedding everywhere! Its very sparse now and was wandering if anyone just took the lot off? I'm worried about infection etc?
Marie x