cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell/mould

18 REPLIES 18
ValS1

Re: Shell/mould

Thanks, the waiting area at Addenbrookes looked a bit cramped to me but perhaps I didn't see it all on Wednesday, just want to get on with it now :)i
Seabreeze

Hi to anyone going through rads...
Re appointments and delays, the hospital I went to suggested that patients check the time of the next days appointment each time they finished a session since times get rejigged not just due to machine function but if any emergency cases come through.
Hence asking the day before can help reduce chances of hanging out in the rad waiting area too long.
Mind you, the hospital I went to had such a well designed rad waiting area loads of people used to drop off for a snooze on the sofas!
Hope your treatments go well.
Seabreeze...now a few months post rads
ValS1

Yes I've heard its a regular thing at Cambridge & they dont let you go till you've had your session so some people have to wait hours. Never mind, all got to be got through, all the best 🙂
13gerbera

Hi Eastanglian,

I'm being treated in London but it seems as if these machines are notorious for breaking down in all hospitals (bit like office photocopiers I imagine :D).  

xx

Sharon

ValS1

Hi Sharon, was it Addembrookes you went to if you don't mind me asking? I was there Wednesday for my planning appt, I actually got called in early and all done within 15 mins, but I've been told the machine breaks down alot so expecting possibly long wait times, I got my appointment letter today, my treatments start from 5th March.
Best wishes
13gerbera

Thanks ladies, it seems I was fairly easy as I was in and out of the planning session within minutes, including having the tattoo dots done.  Bit surprised at how quick it was actually.  Had to wait an hour and a half for the planning session to start though as the CT machine had broken, and I'm told this is a fairly regular occurence in the Radiography dept so I think I'm going to have to find some good books to take along to sessions with me...

xx

Sharon

jannie13

They might not have to as it does depend on individuals. My lump was towards the sternum and needed to give clearance from heart and lungs. I finished mid jan and all healed now. Did get sore around bra line as couldn't go without and the soft crops did not fit or support even xxl. I was given a foam dressing that was amazing and made things comfortable. ...today I wore my underwired in normal size and was fine.
13gerbera

Thanks Jannie, that's really helpful to know as I'm off for my planning session on Friday and I'm also a G cup and was wondering how they were going to cope!  Hopefully I'll get a cup too so they don't accidently end up zapping my whole chest for the sake of one boob 🙂

xx

Sharon

jannie13

I had a breast cup...made of silicon. It was due to position of lumpectomy area and need to minimise exposure to lung and heart.most dong seem yo have it. I'm a g cup which may have been a factor. You have a plaster of Paris mould done that's a bit strange. Then every treatment they fit the cup which holds your boob up from rib cage like a plastic bra. Your skin goes red a bit sooner.
ValS1

Thanks 🙂 I have my planning appointment on Wednesday then I think its appx a 2 wk wait for the treatment to start, I just want to get on with it now.
Seabreeze

Hi,
Moulds or shells are only used for things like radiotherapy to part of the head/brain or occasionally if radio needs to be provided to a young child who may move a lot if they are too young to understand etc. So don't worry about that.
Seabreeze
ValS1

Thanks Kitt, hope my experience is similar to yours, I'm already moisturising alot to make sure my skin is in the best condition before it starts. 🙂
ValS1

Hi Chez, I'm lucky as I'm only a half hour away from Addenbrookes it is an excellent hospital so your mum is in good hands. Best wishes x
Kittkatt

Hi,
We are very similar except it's tamoxifen for me. Radiotherapy was really not bad - it struck me that the worst part of it for many was finding a car parking space every day !!! I started moisturising as soon as my wound was healed so my skin would be in as good condition as possible. My centre recommended and provided aqueous cream during treatment which I slapped on at every available opportunity and apart from some redness and a bit of a flaky nipple 😜 my skin seems to have held up well . I did get itchy about half way through (15 +4 boosters for me) but Piriton helped with that.
Although advised to go braless I found that uncomfortable so had a range of soft bras, crop tops and vests - didn't wear the same style on consecutive days so pressure was always somewhere slightly different. Of course I have no way of knowing if I'd have been lucky without even thinking about these things but what can I say ... I'm a control freak ! It is quite tiring - whether it's the treatment or just the everydayness of it so be kind to yourself!
Kitt
X
Chez666

Hi, I think the shell/mould is for those patients who need radiotherapy to the brain, my mum is currently in Addenbrookes with cancer on the brain, not curable unfortunately, I was an eastanglian girl, Newmarket then cambridge and Peterborough before moving to eastbourne a few years ago, I can't travel easily at the moment so not been able to visit mum but Addenbrookes is a great hospital, so know you will be in good hands. Wish i was back there at moment as Brighton does not seem to get rave reviews x x
ValS1

Forgot to add I also had a lumpectomy, so treatment was surgery, plus hormone tabs & radiotherapy 🙂
ValS1

Hi Kitt, many thanks for your reply, thats reassuring. Mine was a stage 1 BC with no spread into the lymph nodes, so treatment is Anastrozole tabs for 5 yrs plus 3 weeks radiotherapy, so feel fortunate in the diagnosis, though its taking me longer to get my head around being diagnosed with BC but I'm getting there. I was recalled after a routine mammogram, I hadn't felt the lump myself so am thankful for the screening picking it up. How was the Radiotherapy for you I am hoping it wont be too bad for side effects? Best wishes & thanks again x
Kittkatt

Hi Eastanglian, I completed my rads earlier this week and none of the ladies being treated at the same time as me had a mould. I'm not sure what circumstances require one but it certainly doesn't seem to be a requirement for most. They will position you wit arm rests above your head and a block under your knees to keep your back in a more comfortable position.
Like every side effect I think lung irritation has to be mentioned but most people won't experience it.
At your planning appointment you'll probably get 3 tiny tattoos - one centrally on your breast bone and one in line with it on either side below your armpit. You will hardly be able to see them but don't worry - the radiographers will .
Good luck. Is this the final stage of treatment for you ?
Kitt
X
ValS1

Shell/mould

Hi, I am due to have 3 wks of radiotherapy at Addenbrookes in a few weeks time, I am currently waiting for my planning appointment. i've been reading the info I was given at the oncology clinic and it mentions some people have to have a shell or mould made to make sure they keep still during radiotherapy. Does anyone know if this is a requirement when having breast radiotherapy? I also note that a possible side effect is lung irritation which sounds a bit worrying?