cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shingles

11 REPLIES 11
Daisy1975

Re: Shingles

Shingles is usually a reactivation of the chicken pox virus that's been living in your body since you've had chicken pox. Therefore you don't catch shingles - it can come out when you're body is run down and immune system cannot keep it at bay. Hope this makes sense xx
Yankee

Just came upon your post -- hoping that your shingles are clearing up by now.  I have had repeated bouts since finishing chemo in May 2013.  Mine have been on the face, head and in my mouth.  They hurt like hell -- especially the mouth one.  I was lucky, in that I realized what they were early on, so was able to have the antivirals (which should be started within 72 hours of the rash appearing) so they cleared up quite quickly.  I am hoping that as I turn 70 in November, I will be eligible for the shingles vaccine.  In the meantime, it would appear that whenever I get run down, it starts again.  Definitely not nice!

Cookie17

Thankyou Mel, I have the same with my left leg re my clothes. I will check with my nurse and see what she suggests. As you say it is painful.
Ouch! X
Mel66

Hi Cookie
I got shingles during chemo. The District Nurse put a clear dressing (the same as the ones that go over the picc line) over the rash as she said she had been told that it helped. Certainly after that, mine seemed a lot better. Mine was on my hip so pulling clothing back up after I had been to the toilet had been really painful. If nothing else, the dressing protected it against that.

Hope it clears up soon. x
Cookie17

Thankyou Belinda, will do. Just wish the back of my left leg would settle down. Xx
belinda

Sorry to hear this Cookie, I hope you are getting some relief from the meds. Have read of Shingles being a risk with all our treatment. Take Care. X
2catlady

Take care xxx hope you manage to get some sleep and not too uncomfortable xxxxx hugs,Helen xxxx
Cookie17

Not sure, I will check it out. Thanks.
2catlady

Cookie,xxxxx can you take antihistamines ?
Massive hugs xxxxxxxxxx Helen xxxxx
Cookie17

Thank you Helen, it means a lot.  Just had my husband smother the areas with calamine lotion, so they should start to be less annoying!! Allayne

2catlady

Oh cookie,huge hugs,that's an awful thing to get on top of everything else. I can't offer any advice,all I can do is send you huge hugs,Helen xxxxxxxxxx
Cookie17

Shingles

I have secondary breast cancers my primary being breast with spine, liver and lungs as my secondary ones.  I am also terminally ill as well.  To add insult to injury I have just recently been diagnosed with shingles.  I just wanted to ask if anyone else out there has been unlucky to catch it again and what you did to help your condition.  I have patches over left buttock and down the back of my legs.  Its itching and quite painful.  I have been given an intense course of Aciclovir to help kill or cure it.  Also been recommended Calamine lotion/cream to help sooth the itching.

I had hoped that this year would be drama free, it seems not.  Last year I suffered from pneumonia and the year before a burst appendix!! Not good. Thank you for reading this.

Cookie17

xx