71600members
375680posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocked and fear -What is happening to me?

12 REPLIES 12
Sam_BCC

Re: Shocked and fear -What is happening to me?

Hi avonlea

The link for the resource pack Molennium has mentioned is http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514. This pack has been designed for those who are newly diagnosed and has lots of information.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Molennium

it is all a bit drip feed but they do need to look closely at the tissue under the microscope. Stage 1 usually means that it is invasive, DCIS is Stage 0 so maybe they think there may be some invasive cancer there.

I think you need to get Breast cancer care's resource pack and a copy of your pathology report once the cells have been looked at.

Good luck it's a horrible shock especially the younger you are. I met someone at a support group I attended who was 26 and if you go into the younger women forum here you will find quite a few women around your age or younger.

Mole

ForumMember

Hi there

Doctors will rarely commit themselves to saying exactly what you have and the treatment you need until they see the pathology report. This means examining the lump they remove from you to make sure exactly what it is and whether they have got it all out. This is a completely normal procedure, so try not to worry.

avonlea

Dear All

Thanks a lot for your messages. It 's great to chat with people here. I think i am worrying as I am only 30 and going to be 31 next week. This news really graps me a lot to begin with. My emotions go through up and downs whole day.

My surgry is booked now but my doctor told me that they now only have ' partail informaiton' about my problem. The will need to do a test once the excision is done. The cells will then be anaylsised to decide the further treatment.

Is this what normally a doctor will do at this stage? I am a bit confused and the uncertainty is really difficult to deal with. As the doctor said after they get the result of my operation, they will decide if i need more treatment such as another operation ..

But at the moment, they said I got stage 1 DCIS but high grade and I will only need a lumpectomy and radiotheraopy... am a bit confused..

Milliemum

Dear Avonlea, it's all so scary to start with but as everyone has said above, it sounds like you have a very good outlook. Talk about your worries on here as we are all at various stages in treatment and I have found that inevitably, someone has felt the same or had the same happen.

Take care, Maggie xxxx

horace

Dear Avonlea there is a possibility of cure with any primary breast cancer.This is a scary time for you but you will get lots of treatment from your docs and lots of support from all on this site.Love Vxx

Molennium

I was diagnosed with just under 2 cm tumour with DCIS around it. That was 5 years ago. DCIS is the most favourable kind of breast cancer to have, in fact it is either referred to as pre-invasive cancer or pre-cancerous changes. The cells are still inside the ducts and haven't developed the potential to spread. If I remember about 98% of people who have it are cured (the 2% are probably misdiagnosed initially)

Mole

dotchas

Avonlea,

If you have DCIS ,this is sometimes known as pre-cancerous and has a very very good outlook.Try having a look on this website http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=3317#dcis
for more information.
Maybe call your Breast care nurse for reassurance or the helpline here.
Hugs
Dot
xxx

Debra42

avonlea

On the 19 December 2007 I was dx with BC, January I had a lumpectomy and 5 nodes removed followed by surgery to remove my ovaries as the cancer was ER+, I then had 5 weeks Radiotherapy, put on tamoxifen for 5 years, at the start of this I could never have imagined getting to the end of the treatment as it seem such a lot to undergo, however that was then, I am now back at work full time and getting my life back on track although the cancer is still in the back of my mind I am now getting stronger as every day goes by, my moto was that this damn little lump was not going to beet me. You can do this and BC survival rates are getting better by the day.

Take care
Debra x

Khyrah

I have reacently had a 3.2cm grade 2 removed with 4 nodes removed (clear margins around the tumor and no node involvement).
I am to start 18 weeks chemo and then 5 weeks Radiotherapy, then onto tamexifen.
I have every hope for full recovery and even now can see the the end to all the hospital time involved.
Try not to stress to much hun (I know it is easier said than done) and take each day in your stride. I am sure lots of people will comment and hopefull put your mind at rest much better than I can as I am not very good with written word,lol.
Please be aware that it is very curable though.

avonlea

Hi Jo

Thanks for the message and document. Really appreciate for your reply as this ease my feeling of loneness. Thanks

I think it is quite late now so if you have time tomorrow any one here in this forum, I like to ask if this type of cancer could be cured? Many people think that this is a very early stage of cancer thus it is curable.

thanks

avonlea

Jo_BCC

Hi Avonlea

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care chat forums, I'm sure you'll get lots of help and support from the many informed users of this site. I have posted below for you the link to BCC's publication on Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS) and hope it's of help to you. You may also find BCC's helpline useful, this services is a free telephone service which is operated by either breast care nurses or fully trained staff who have personal expience of breast care issues. The lines are open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm, the staff are here to support you and are a good 'listening ear'.

Here's the link to the publication:
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/ductal_carcinoma_in_situ_dcis__mar_08_0.pdf

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

avonlea

Shocked and fear -What is happening to me?

I was told that i have Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. But my lump is 1.5 by 1.5 cm and they think it is stage one and the most ealiest stage. But the cells are very active, as grade 3. My breast are hurting from time to time ( on the lump).

I was booked into sugery to remove the lump and also lympy node biophy to see if the cells are invasive.

I wonder what are my chances? I am really still in shock and very scared.

thanks