Shocked at new diagnosis

Hi, I haven’t long joined the forum on other threads, having been diagnosed in July with 20mm IDC Hep+ ER+ PR+ with lymph node involvement - number not known, 1 large one 24 mm biopsied. 

Have completed 4 rounds of EC and had my first (of 4) DHP this week over 2 days. There has been a good response so far to the chemo with tumour and lymph node now both around 9mm. 

I needed a repeat CT scan before this second regime started, and have been told that I have a 10mm area now showing on the inner surface of my upper sacrum. This is bigger than the current size of my original tumours OMG. The doctor said there will be a meeting next week of all the team, clinical and medical oncologists, surgeon and radiologists; and that it is likely I will need high dose radiotherapy as treatment, in addition to current plans. I can’t believe I’m saying that my breast cancer has spread to my bones and I’m only 3 months in. 

I keep swaying between “did I hear it right or did I imagine the conversation” to “they wouldn’t be having a meeting with all the Doctors to discuss something that’s not there, or tell me what treatment is planned”.

There is a query over whether, with hindsight,  the area was showing on the original CT back in July which is something else they will be discussing with the benefit of the experienced radiologists; although that doesn’t change the outcome of course. 

And then I have all the questions…how did it spread so quickly?, should I have had surgery first?, is it because I’m HEP2+ which being aggressive and targeted therapy only started this week, has this caused the spread?, was it there 3m ago?, what does the future now hold for me?

I think I needed to put this all down in black and white , to help me accept that my journey has taken an unexpected turn. I know the team are there to give me the best chance, and I have every faith in them. 

Thank you for listening. Xx

Hi Butterflyflyfree

I have seen you have recieved responses to similar posts on other threads, but wondered if you have considered joining the private secondary group?  There is an active community having conversations ‘behind closed doors’ as well as all the open to the public conversations in the main Forum as well.

You may also find it helpful to talk to someone on our free Helpline, 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Welcome Butterflyflyfree! I’m sorry you had to join us. It is a shock to get the secondary dx. Once you get some answers and the treatment plan commences you will settle in. We do all march on with this, bc quite frankly life keeps moving on! It’s not easy some days to keep up with the beat. Having the wonderful ladies here with a wealth of understanding and valuable info is a big boost. Come here rant, rave whatever you need. We are here! FF